Thai Talipa in Yellow Curry

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Beware the bones!! And no Tilapia from China... remember that one!

Ingredients:
1 can of yellow curry paste (about the size of a can of tuna)
4 cups water
1 whole Tilapia, gutted
Enough oil to be 1" deep in a large skillet (I used Canola)
An 8" skillet and a 12" skillet (I use my CI for this)
About 4 cups rice (we use brown rice)

Directions:

Rinse Tilapia thuroughly in warm water, then make several cuts slightly diagonally about 1" apart going from the spine down to the bottom and about 1/4" deep. Roll in flour, pat the flour on if needed to coat well.
Heat a large skillet with about an inch of oil in it, I used canola, till it is almost smoking. Fry the Tilapia about 5 minutes on both sides, then remove from oil.
While the fish is frying, in another larger skillet mix with whisk the yellow curry paste and water and bring to boil. Try to time it for when the fish will be done. Better that the yellow curry be ready before the fish then the other way around.
You want to remove the fish from the oil carefully so it doesn't break apart, then set in the skillet full of yellow curry. Reduce to a simmer and let go for about 10 minutes. During this time 'baste' the fish with the yellow curry at least four times.
While this is all going, make your rice so it is ready when the curry and fish have finished simmering.
Lay out the rice on a large platter, then top with the fish (it will want to fall apart at this time, so I use a couple of slitted spatulas to raise it up and move it. Next pour yellow curry over the fish and rice, stopping before it overflows the platter. Reserve the rest of the yellow curry in a large bowl.
To serve it up, scoop some of the rice from the platter into a bowl (add extra curry from what you reserved if needed, but don't let it get soupy), then take pieces of the fish (remember you sliced it? That comes in handy now!) and place on top of your bowl of rice and curry.
Enjoy! But eat carefully cause of the bones! We basically will pick apart a piece of the fish being careful to remove any bones, then scoop up some rice and curry on the same fork and eat it!
This is a yellow curry, but still hot!