Park City, UT

Johnny West

We just got back from a week in Park City and ate out at quite a few places. One of my favorite places to go is the Grub Stake but have only had lunch there. A few nights ago we went for dinner and I had the 28 ounce prime rib - had not had prime rib since the last night on Martha's Vineyard several years ago. I wasn't disappointed with this one and thought it was a lot bigger than 28 ounces. I'm thinking the waiter had something to do with it as he knows my son't GF.

https://grubsteakrestaurant.com

Attachments

• #Prime Rib.jpg
    #Prime Rib.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34

Johnny West

The first night in Park City we ate at 350 Main Brasserie. we weren't disappointed and got to meet the executive chef. He even bought out our our desserts which he alone makes.

Attachments

• #Matt.jpg
    #Matt.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 36

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Incredible photos of both your steak and your son (that is your son, isn't it?)!

I wonder if they do the "turn off the oven" method to get that even cooking.

Lee

Johnny West

I think that's the largest cut of prime rib I've ever had. I could only eat 2/3 and gave the rest to Matt. I didn't even keep the bones and that's not like me. I'm not sure how that is done - mine never look that good. I'll ask him.

Yes, Matt is my #2 son. He is well loved in Park City and getting recognized. They asked him to cook for Costner's new TV show but he said no. It would mean traveling - the money was huge.

He made this for me - muscovy duck breast with sauerkraut and a side of dressing. He called it his "baby", a dish he loves to do. It's an Alsace style dish.

http://www.350main.com

Attachments

• #Duck Breast.jpg
    #Duck Breast.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 34

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very handsome. Not the vegetarian, I assume.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: Very impressive. That is the best looking prime rib I have ever seen. And it is such a great feeling when your kids do well like your son has done. Congrats Johnny. :tiphat:

Johnny West

Very handsome. Not the vegetarian, I assume.

Lee

#3 son is the veg. Matt is a voracious meat eater. With that said he takes care of his brother when he visits. I was looking and all the restaurants in Park City have a good selection of vegetarian fare.

Johnny West

Sunday night we at at Firewood, a new place in Park City. The owner / chef was a food director for a big resort in Sun Valley. He and Matt have become aquatinted. Their respective restaurants are on a few doors apart.

I had the lamb chops with lamb belly with trumpet mushrooms. The lamb is locally grown and was quite good.

http://firewoodonmain.com

Attachments

• #Lamb Chop WF.jpg
    #Lamb Chop WF.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 27

Johnny West

Monday we drove to SLC to the Cash and Carry and got a boneless leg of lamb, parsley, and some other items for dinner that night. Matt did a reverse sear on the leg and it was quite good. I had seconds - later it was gone. His Great Dane/Boxer X, Roy, reached up and ate the rest of the lamb while we were talking! I'm sorry to say I never got a pic of Roy. He's a sweetheart and took right to us. Usually he is afraid of strangers.

Attachments

• #Greek Lamb.jpg
    #Greek Lamb.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 26

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, is lamb belly similar to pork belly (which I adore)?

I have dried black trumpet mushrooms which I rehydrate and use in cheese omelets. How were your trumpet mushrooms?

You look as if you are having a gastronomically great time!

Lee

Johnny West

It was pretty mild and not as flavorful as pork. I have some appy pics and tomorrow will show you the pork belly I got at Firewood. Matt does it but have not had his. Maybe next time - I’ll take some with me.

Johnny West

I’ve had trumpets before and these were nothing special. Buttons would have been just as effective but trumpets look special.

Johnny West

Here is the pork belly I had for an app at Woodfire. It was quite good and almost meted in your mouth. I didn't get a chance to try Matt's as he took it off the menu to try new things. He changes the menu a lot to keep it interesting.

Attachments

• #pork belly.jpg
    #pork belly.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 17