Homemade Vanilla Extract.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Has anyone ever done this before?

All you would need is a small carafe that has a tight-fitting lid, several vanilla beans and some rum or
vodka. Split the beans lengthwise with a sharp knife and put them in the carafe. Put the rum or vodka in and just over the beans.

Let the rum or vodka steep for several weeks and voila, you'got some homemade vanilla extract!! Shake the container every so often to evenly distribute the beans and darken the liquor.

Shop around though for the best price on the vanilla beans, as they can be really expensive!

I've already done this last Christmas, and it tastes the same as store-bought extract.

Here's the stuff shown in 3 stages below.

Attachments

• vanilla-extract.jpg
    vanilla-extract.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Williams Sonoma, for one, has them, but they ARE very expensive there.

You can also get them on the Web.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I once tried ordering VB from a few websites (Penzey's was one of them) and each time that I tried to, I ran into frivelous technicalities! I gave up and said Forget it!!

I got absolute zero tolerence for putting up with bullcrap.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I once tried ordering VB from a few websites (Penzey's was one of them) and each time that I tried to, I ran into frivelous technicalities! I gave up and said Forget it!!

I got absolute zero tolerence for putting up with bullcrap.
what technicalities?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Either they'tre saying that the address is wrong or my debit card number is wrong or the expiration date is wrong, they're out of the kind of VB that I wanted. Something is always wrong with them!!

And everything that I enter is right.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Either they'tre saying that the address is wrong or my debit card number is wrong or the expiration date is wrong, they're out of the kind of VB that I wanted. Something is always wrong with them!!

And everything that I enter is right.
i worked in sales for many years and took order online and on the phone. i can say that most common problems have been caused by the bank having the wrong info in their puters or some people use 2 different address - some have a home/mail and a ship/mail address (or any combo) and their cards have one OR the other on record and get them mixed upor mess up something simple as the zip code or the address number. and sometimes the cvc code is worn off or hard to read. i have had people call screaming at me and find that it was something small.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Here's a source for inexpensive beans. You should get the Grade B if you're using them for extract.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA__W0QQ_armrsZ1
You can get both the Tahitian or the Madagascar. I prefer the Madagascar. The Tahitian is more 'flowery'.

Although you will begin to get something like vanilla extract in a few weeks, for the best result, you really want to keep it in a dark place for about 6 months. It takes that long for the 'boozieness' to dissipate.

80 proof vodka is the traditional vehicle for extraction.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Here's a source for inexpensive beans. You should get the Grade B if you're using them for extract.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA__W0QQ_armrsZ1
You can get both the Tahitian or the Madagascar. I prefer the Madagascar. The Tahitian is more 'flowery'.

Although you will begin to get something like vanilla extract in a few weeks, for the best result, you really want to keep it in a dark place for about 6 months. It takes that long for the 'boozieness' to dissipate.

80 proof vodka is the traditional vehicle for extraction.
you are abosolutely right SS. my mom left hers in the very back and bottom of a cool closet for almost a year (about 8 - 10 months) and it was great. it was better than the store bought stuff, which i don't use because people think it tastes to much like booze. thats just fine with me, money saved.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I know the feeling, lilbopeep.

But I've had run-ins with MANY websites that seem like they want to push you over the limit.

Just recently, I saw a red bowl that comes with a plastic rolling pin on the Tupperware website and I wanted to get it. Found out that I had to buy at least $50. worth of merchandise to get it. Ok, no problem. I was willing to spend THAT much.

But after reaching $50. worth of merchandise, the friggen website still wouldn't let me buy the bowl!! Called their 800 number and spoke with a rep. She said that it was true. But then it went up to $75., and I still couldn't get the bowl!!

Shortly afterwards, I found myself racking up to $89. worth of merchandise!!! Just to get a bowl and rolling pin?!!! I told her "Forget it!!! I'm not spending that much!!!!!!" and ended the called. It was getting worse by the minute! That's when I blew up and said; "This is bullcrap!!!!!"

So it is as though some of those websites are just playing games and stringing people along, trying to get more money out of prospective customers than was originally agreed to! I won't buy anything from them when they act like that.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of my homemade vanilla extract. :chef:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 166

smoke king

Banned
All the grocery stores here (Kroeger, etc) sell Vanilla beans along with the spices-you have to look for them. They bend them and put them into the same size jars as the other spices. About 10$ for 2 beans, but given the quantity of Vanilla extract you get, its a steal, and you don't have to pay for shipping or wait for them.

I read about this a few months back and plan to do it for the holidays-my "vanilla extract bill" during holiday baking is astronomical!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Not being a vodka drinker, and never having made vanilla extract, does it make any difference if you use cheap 80 proof vodka or expensive 80 proof vodka? Will the end result be similar/same? This really looks like a great project for gift giving for Christmas 2010.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
eGullet had quite a discussion about this a couple years ago. It's still out there if you want to spend an entire afternoon on the thread.

If I remember correctly, the group conclusion was that it wasn't necessary to buy expensive vodka like Grey Goose. But that you want something better than rotgut. Most seemed to end up agreeing that a mid-range vodka, like Smirnoff, was the best choice.

Several folks tried other liqours, rum, bourbon, with good results.

smoke king

Banned
Not being a vodka drinker, and never having made vanilla extract, does it make any difference if you use cheap 80 proof vodka or expensive 80 proof vodka? Will the end result be similar/same? This really looks like a great project for gift giving for Christmas 2010.

Joe, the article I read (either Cooks Country or Cooks Illustrated) said it didn't matter at all-the cheapest vodka will work as well as the expensive stuff. I'll have to go find the magazine, but I'm almost sure they used 80 proof Smirnoff.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Not sure, but the vodka that I used for it was Shmirnoff.

But if you decide to do it, leave the vanilla beans in there. Don't take them out at all. :chef:

sirena

Regarding finding vanilla beans - this is the gospel I try to spread whenever I can. If you live in a city or near one of a decent size, you can probably find a grocery store that sells items in bulk. Failing that, try a good sized health food store. Look for the spices and herbs in bulk and you will likely find vanilla beans there at a greatly reduced price. Ditto most of the herbs and spices you use regularly. It is SO much cheaper than the pre-bottled stuff on the spice aisle. You can buy these at about 1/10th of the normal cost. I bought enough oregano to fill a regular spice bottle for about 57 cents. I never buy spices and herbs any other way. It saves tons of money and you only buy what you need, even if it's just a tablespoon. Try it. You'll love it!

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Haven't tried the health food stores yet, but I've searched high and low at other stores, and Williams Sonoma, so far, seems to be the only other gourmet store selling the beans in my city.

But I wonder if there is a LeGourmet store around here. They just might have them cheaper there.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Regarding finding vanilla beans - this is the gospel I try to spread whenever I can. If you live in a city or near one of a decent size, you can probably find a grocery store that sells items in bulk. Failing that, try a good sized health food store. Look for the spices and herbs in bulk and you will likely find vanilla beans there at a greatly reduced price. Ditto most of the herbs and spices you use regularly. It is SO much cheaper than the pre-bottled stuff on the spice aisle. You can buy these at about 1/10th of the normal cost. I bought enough oregano to fill a regular spice bottle for about 57 cents. I never buy spices and herbs any other way. It saves tons of money and you only buy what you need, even if it's just a tablespoon. Try it. You'll love it!
health food store - are the herbs fresh or dry?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think they're dry. I haven't seen fresh herbs at a health food store, but I'm sure that Whole Foods has them. They are an organic store chain.

All or or most of the items sold there are organically grown.

sirena

health food store - are the herbs fresh or dry?
They are dried. But still pretty good and "fresh". When you buy as you need them, they are newer and more pungent than the pre-bottled ones. Whole Foods has a bulk foods section that also has herbs and spices. Around here (Portland, Oregon) there is a supermarket chain called Fred Meyer's and their bulk spices are in the health food part of the store. There is another local chain called New Seasons that also carries them. It may take a bit of scouting (or better - phone calls) but I bet most of you out there have a store in your area that sells bulk spices. Look for local as opposed to national chains. Again, try the health food stores.
Another way to find certain herbs and spices at lower prices is at various ethnic stores. You will find cheaper saffron and curries at an Indian store than at a mainstream store, for instance. It's fun to scout these places out and you'll make lots of wonderful discoveries.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
They are dried. But still pretty good and "fresh". When you buy as you need them, they are newer and more pungent than the pre-bottled ones. Whole Foods has a bulk foods section that also has herbs and spices. Around here (Portland, Oregon) there is a supermarket chain called Fred Meyer's and their bulk spices are in the health food part of the store. There is another local chain called New Seasons that also carries them. It may take a bit of scouting (or better - phone calls) but I bet most of you out there have a store in your area that sells bulk spices. Look for local as opposed to national chains. Again, try the health food stores.
Another way to find certain herbs and spices at lower prices is at various ethnic stores. You will find cheaper saffron and curries at an Indian store than at a mainstream store, for instance. It's fun to scout these places out and you'll make lots of wonderful discoveries.
whole foods is pretty expensive and i think most of the little health food stores around here have been pushed out by stores like whole foods.

sirena

whole foods is pretty expensive and i think most of the little health food stores around here have been pushed out by stores like whole foods.
Yes, Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck as it's sometimes called) IS expensive but the bulk stuff will still be cheaper than buying it pre-bottled.