A Labor Day (Week!) Challenge!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I miss the threads where we made something 'together'! Everyone celebrates Labour Day, one way or the other... Even if you just listen to John Philip Sousa music alone in your kitchen.. Let's celebrate together!

There are very few ground rules here.
1. You have to make it and post a recipe.
2. You have to do it between Tuesday the 30 and Monday, Labor Day.
3. Tell us why you are making that particular dish.

So, don't just wait till your Labour Day BBQ or whatever you're doing...Most of you have a three day weekend coming up and that alone is reason to celebrate.

So, gentlemen....let's see those smokers, those grills, those gills. Ladies, some pies, cakes...? I know we all have to eat something in the next 7 days...show us your labour pains!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Attachments

• steak-08312011.jpg
    steak-08312011.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,297

Phiddlechik

Sousa march for Labor Day? It's the day the unions have picnics...
We just have the day off, don't really "celebrate" it. But a hotdog on the grill would probably be good.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's also 'southern decadence' festival this weekend. So, I expect a bump in tourists this weekend as well. I did some extra baking for the group - praline apple pecan cake, carrot cranberry muffins and kiwi white chocolate scones.

I've got a picture of the cake, but it's on the other computer.

Can't decide if I should close for the holiday or not...

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm going to make DeeLady's Pinoy Pork. I have a beautiful, ripe pineapple to grill with it. Maybe a salad.

Deelady

I'm going to make DeeLady's Pinoy Pork. I have a beautiful, ripe pineapple to grill with it. Maybe a salad.

Yay! Can't wait to see yours! I am confident you will love the flavor! :a1: Oh and I forgot to mention that you can also use country style ribs for it as well!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made one of my favorite pies today...a lemon icebox pie! I make mine just like Karen's but I use the juice and zest of 3 lemons. Want a slice?

Attachments

• lemon-icebox-pie-09022011.jpg
    lemon-icebox-pie-09022011.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,068

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Vera, it sounds like you are going to have to hunker down for a storm over the weekend...be careful!! It feels strange when you are in a foreign country trying to celebrate an American holiday...Labor Day in Mexico is May 1, so Monday is just another day here in Mexico, but we might get together with friends...no plans yet.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
These are some of the things I served this past week...

It's called 'The Boardwalk' after my beloved jersey shore

006.jpg

Both the waffle and the ice cream are homemade - the ice cream is a peppermint and brownie chunk flavour. I used crushed andes candies (saved in the freezer from christmas, that's why they are pink and white, and brownies I overbaked and couldn't sell) with a fairly basic vanilla custard ice cream recipe.

Stuffed acorn squash - thank you Silver Sage for the inspiration
016.jpg

Phiddlechik

Made pizza, using up leftovers.

Attachments

• DSCN9214.jpg
    DSCN9214.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSCN9221.jpg
    DSCN9221.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCN9223.jpg
    DSCN9223.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSCN9226.jpg
    DSCN9226.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,049

Deelady

Those really look amazing ladies! :a1:

I made Korean Beef with Steamed Rice, broccoli, and Spinach Wontons. Since our power was out all day the day before I was only able to bake cookies....Lemon Poppyseed and sugar cookies.

Attachments

• Bulgogi.jpg
    Bulgogi.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 961
  • food 724.jpg
    food 724.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,036
  • food 725.jpg
    food 725.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,034

Phiddlechik

Thanks, and yes, I make my own dough. We went for a really long drive yesterda, and didn't really want to go to the grocery store today. So used up leftovers, put it on crusts.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Ahhh... You know I've had more than a few inspirations from you!

The squash looks great. What all did you stuff it with?
Will you both please post your recipes for this stuffed acorn squash dish? Pretty please.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I stuffed the squash with sauteed ground sausage and sage, onions, celery, walnuts, cranberries and croutons. Toss with enough chicken stock to bind, S&P and poultry seasoning.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I stuffed the squash with sauteed ground sausage and sage, onions, celery, walnuts, cranberries and croutons. Toss with enough chicken stock to bind, S&P and poultry seasoning.
OOOOOOOOOOOO that sounds fantastic Vera. I think I just found a new side dish for thanksgiving. Thank you so much.