Chicken & Spinach Parm

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this originated at momontimeout.com - quick, easy and veddy succulent!

advance work:
- count your chicken chunks. I used four for two people.
- open a jar of tomato sauce - type & trend to one's preference. I used a half qt size for two people
- chop some baby spinach leaves to 1/2 inch pieces, or so. about half a cup (raw) per chicken chunk
- grate real Parmesan cheese on the fine side of a box grater. don't even think about the sawdust in the green can. about 3 tablespoons per chicken chunk. mix the Parmesan with panko bread crumb - 3:1 bread crumb to cheese by volume. I used one cup bread crumb for four chicken chunks.
- coarse grate mozzarella - about 1/4 cups per chicken chunk.
- fire up / pre-heat the broiler

chicken breast filets - pounded flat to about 1/2 inch
salt&pepper

"coat" - liberally - with panko/cheese mixture;
I poured the smidge of left over mix over the sauted chicken at the flip

about 2-3 minutes on a side in a hot pan w/ oil to brown.
- do not over cook the chicken at the saute part. unless you're fixing a rubber chicken convention dinner . .

remove chicken from pan to rest.
drain off any excess fat/oil from the pan.

put about half the tomato sauce in the pan bottom
plunk in - single layer - the breaded chicken
spoon a bit of sauce over each chicken chunk to help adhere:
layer of chopped spinach
then
layer of grated mozzarella
spoon any remaining tomato sauce in the gaps if you wish; drowning the chicken is not required or recommended.

under the broiler for 3-6 minutes.

I let mine go until the mozzarella browned a bit. adds crunch&flavor.

for a 'one pan prep': use a pan suited to direct heat broiling - this rules out Pyrex, most ceramics, anything with plastic handles. I used cast iron.

cool only briefly - use a knife to cut around / separate the chicken chunks - the cheese wants everything to stick together in one mass and messes up all that careful spinach layering . . .

spatula onto plate for service - a garden salad with vinaigrette makes a good side.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, CM, let me see if I have this right, because I'd like to make it:

For 2 people: I have two large boneless chicken breasts - I can cut each in half and pound each piece out.

Then sauté in oil, THEN bread with a panko/parm cheese mixture.

Place breaded chicken on top of some sauce in an oven-proof pan, and spread a little sauce on each piece. Then top chicken with chopped RAW spinach, then mozzarella and broil until cheese melts.

I'm liking this idea!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
accccccccccck!

need mega edit! dunno where my brain went!

(1) the "pounding out" is simply to eliminate the thick-thin ala under/over cooked issue

(2) the cheesy breading is pre-saute. I know I was interrupted on composing that but Boy-O-Boy is that a colossal boo-boo.

sending edit corrections - me-no-kan-more-edit.. . .

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhhh, okay! And here I thought you invented a better way!

I will edit.

Thanks!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there is elsewherest a mini-thread on breading post saute....perhaps my brain got hijacked?

dunno. but if it sounds like a good story I'll stick with it (g)

thanks for the edit.
it is a good dish - and simple to boot!

alexandradarex

this originated at momontimeout.com - quick, easy and veddy succulent!

advance work:
- count your chicken chunks. I used four for two people.
- open a jar of tomato sauce - type & trend to one's preference. I used a half qt size for two people
- chop some baby spinach leaves to 1/2 inch pieces, or so. about half a cup (raw) per chicken chunk
- grate real Parmesan cheese on the fine side of a box grater. don't even think about the sawdust in the green can. about 3 tablespoons per chicken chunk. mix the Parmesan with panko bread crumb - 3:1 bread crumb to cheese by volume. I used one cup bread crumb for four chicken chunks.
- coarse grate mozzarella - about 1/4 cups per chicken chunk.
- fire up / pre-heat the broiler

chicken breast filets - pounded flat to about 1/2 inch
salt&pepper

"coat" - liberally - with panko/cheese mixture;
I poured the smidge of left over mix over the sauted chicken at the flip

about 2-3 minutes on a side in a hot pan w/ oil to brown.
- do not over cook the chicken at the saute part. unless you're fixing a rubber chicken convention dinner . .

remove chicken from pan to rest.
drain off any excess fat/oil from the pan.

put about half the tomato sauce in the pan bottom
plunk in - single layer - the breaded chicken
spoon a bit of sauce over each chicken chunk to help adhere:
layer of chopped spinach
then
layer of grated mozzarella
spoon any remaining tomato sauce in the gaps if you wish; drowning the chicken is not required or recommended.

under the broiler for 3-6 minutes.

I let mine go until the mozzarella browned a bit. adds crunch&flavor.

for a 'one pan prep': use a pan suited to direct heat broiling - this rules out Pyrex, most ceramics, anything with plastic handles. I used cast iron.

cool only briefly - use a knife to cut around / separate the chicken chunks - the cheese wants everything to stick together in one mass and messes up all that careful spinach layering . . .

spatula onto plate for service - a garden salad with vinaigrette makes a good side.

This is a great technique to add extra spinach to your nutrition. I doubled the butter, flour, milk, and spinach to kind more sauce. Using freshly grated parmesan cheese kinds a big change in the taste.