Chilling your drinks

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The fridge: Can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

The freezer: Can take about 20 minutes.

A Bath of Ice Water: After about 8 minutes they can get down to about 50°. Not really cold but not hot either.

A Bath of Ice Water with Salt Added: Since salt water has a lower freezing point than fresh water, adding salt to a bowl of ice water actually decreases the temperature of the water. After about 8 minutes in salted ice water, the drinks dropped to a temperature of 44°F.

Interesting Article! http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/fastest-way-chill-drink-180054349.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very interesting about the salt in ice water, Mama!

I always chill my newly hard-boiled eggs in ice water (to prevent the gray around the yolk), so next time I will add a dash of salt to the ice water!

Thanks!

Lee

Sweet_tooth

Banned
I got one from kipkay.Put in ice water in a bowl with a handful of salt amd stir quick takes 2 mins and gots cold

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Whoa Mama! I guess you want it cold and fast. LOL

I would never have thought of the salt water for drinks. I should have, remember the hand crank ice cream freezers? That is how they worked.

I will keep this one in mind.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I guess that's an option but I don't usually have dry ice on hand :lol:

I just thought the article was kind of interesting.

loboloco

If you want something really cold really fast, spray it down with nitrogen. You will then have to wait for it to thaw some, but hey it's really cold.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
If you want something really cold really fast, spray it down with nitrogen. You will then have to wait for it to thaw some, but hey it's really cold.

same with using a CO2 extinguisher. Styro cooler, hole in top, spray in extinguisher and cool within 4 min.

Thanks to Total Wine and More, and a MD based Beer Warehouse type of place, everything we may get, gets bought cold, so then it's just a matter of getting it home cold.

If you get stopped for "an excited pace", and if they ask "how much have you had to drink", just say NONE! But that's what we are working on!:good:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
mama, gotta luv u~
-drink
-drank
-drunk

Attachments

• i'm old. fuk..jpg
    i'm old. fuk..jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0804439.jpg