1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar , divided
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon , divided
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add milk, stirring to make a soft dough. Roll dough into a 1/4" thick rectangle on a lightly floured surface;
cut into six 7 - inch squares.

Place one apple on each pastry square. Fill core of each with 2 teaspoons brown sugar and sprinkle with 1/4
teaspoon cinnamon. Dot each with 2 teaspoons butter. Moisten edges with water, bring corners to center,
pinching edges to seal. Place dumplings in a lightly greased baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes,

Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon butter, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat,and simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until butter
melts and sugar disolves. Pour syrup over dumplings, serve immediately.

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I just made apple dumplings a couple of weeks ago and they were delicious! Only I cheat and buy the pastry already made. (Kroger makes a good pastry!) Anyway, I cored my apples and filled with 6-7 raisins, a mixture of sugar and cinnamon and a tablespoon of butter on top then I sealed the edges and brushed an egg white mixture overtop. I like the raisins, it adds something.

homecook

I love raisins too but dh and ds don't. I add them to mine. lol I've even added chopped walnuts to the top.

I always have that ready made crust in the freezer and never think about it for these....duh! Thanks.