My Grandmother

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thank you L2Q and Kei. Yes, she is definitely in a better place.

I found this poem after my momma died and made plaques for my sisters and grandmother with it. I have changed mother with Mammaw and am going to request it be read at her services

In tears we saw you sinking,
and watched you pass away
Our hearts were almost broken
I wanted you to stay

But when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful, free from pain,
How could I wish you back with us
To suffer that again

It broke our hearts to lose you,
but you did not go alone,
For part of us went with you,
the day GOD took you home

If roses grow in heaven,
Lord please pick a bunch for me.
Place them in my Mammaw's arms
and tell her they're from me.

Tell her we love her and miss her,
and when she turns to smile,
Place a kiss upon her cheek
and hold her for a while.

Because remembering her is easy,
I do it every day
But there's an ache within my heart
that will never go away.

Don't think of her as gone away
her journey's just begun
Life holds so many facets
this earth is only one

Just think of her as resting
from the sorrows and the tears
In a place of warmth and comfort
where there are no days and years

And think of her living
on the hearts of those touched
For nothing loved is every lost

Author unknown
and she is loved so very much.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Lots of love and huggs to you Stacy!
2015162d.gif

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My sincere condolences, Stacy. What a wonderful life she must have lead having all those children to love.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thank you Buzz! She really did. She had 3 charm pins with wording and then a loop to hold charms, one was grandmother, one great grandmother and the other was great great grandmothers, full of baby shoe charms with every one of our birthstones it them. She wore them proudly and made sure people saw them, lol.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Awww, Stacy, I just read this. I'm so sorry that your Mammaw is gone. I know there's a big hole in your heart right now. Hang close with your sisters and family right now as you make your way through the final care for her. I don't know what happens after we die, but I hope she can see what a beautiful and loving mark she left on so many people. Her life was a job well done and I hope her rewards are rich. A big hug for you now, sweetie. We're here for you.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thank you Terry and Loralei! today was hard. My sisters and I met with my aunt to finalize all of it and I was fine, going through the pics and choosing the memorial pamphlet and quotes and all that, but, they took us in the show us the casket and cript that my aunt chose and I totally lost it!! I haven't been able to find peace since. Maybe everything that has happened lately with this, it finally hit me, I don't know. It's at the same place as my mom and the services in the same chapel. I'm ready to get off of this ride now.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peggy

I'm so sorry for your loss, she sounds like a great person. I know she will be missed and was much loved.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
thank you, peggy and yes, she was and there is a giant hole that will never be filled!!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm so so sorry for your loss - gone but never forgotten. Take care of you and many hugs and prayers to you and your family - Sharon

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I have taken the task of doing her memorial website, the cd's for the services, pictures and getting a poem that is in my mama's handwriting {loving that} titled My Mama's hands, typed and sent off to the funeral home to be put in the memorial pamphlet and get the obituary typed and sent off with her picture for the Dallas paper. My heart hurts, but, it feels good to take some off of my sister and aunt and do something to honor her. I'm off one more day on bereavement pay and I will be able to get this all done tomorrow.

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I keep thinking of you - don't hold it all in, you can express all on here, crying is allright too.

Biskit

Thank you Terry and Loralei! today was hard. My sisters and I met with my aunt to finalize all of it and I was fine, going through the pics and choosing the memorial pamphlet and quotes and all that, but, they took us in the show us the casket and cript that my aunt chose and I totally lost it!! I haven't been able to find peace since. Maybe everything that has happened lately with this, it finally hit me, I don't know. It's at the same place as my mom and the services in the same chapel. I'm ready to get off of this ride now.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an emotion that will follow you around for a while. It's totally normal.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but, I remember when my stepson passed away, I was out in the yard, the house was busy with people who'd stopped by. It was a warm, sunny day. I was struggling to find my bearings in my head. Then, a train whistled for the crossing by which we live. My head screamed, Stop this world for a bit!!!!! It just didn't seem right that my house was in such uproar and the trains and cars went by without a care.
Of course, that's the way it is, but it's one of the thoughts that scurried through my head.
Now, Stacy, back to you; You're going to have a rollercoaster of emotions. You'll be seesawing back and forth through a forest of feelings. Whatever you're feeling at a given moment is the right thing to feel. One minute you'll be laughing your head off at some memory which pertained to your grandmother, the next, you'll be in tears, back to laughter, with a moment or two of neutral feelings tossed in for good measure.
Find someone you can trust with your heart. Talk about what you're feeling. Don't expect them to "fix" it, you just need a good sounding board. Your sisters and aunt will be there for you, no doubt, but sometimes confiding in someone outside of the family circle helps more.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Biskit, that is exactly the way I felt when my daughter died. I couldn't comprehend how the rest of the world was going on like usual! Here's a poem I found later that described it so well:

W. H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.​

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have taken the task of doing her memorial website, the cd's for the services, pictures and getting a poem that is in my handwriting {loving that} titled My Mama's hands, typed and sent off to the funeral home to be put in the memorial pamphlet and get the obituary typed and sent off with her picture for the Dallas paper. My heart hurts, but, it feels good to take some off of my sister and aunt and do something to honor her. I'm off one more day on bereavement pay and I will be able to get this all done tomorrow.
Please let us know if there is a place we can leave messages of condolence, Stacy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That's a beautiful poem Terry.
I hear you Monte, what you said up there--and it's so true.
After Steven died, I wondered how anyone in the world could walk down the street and smile or laugh, why the world kept turning- because mine stopped for a very long time.

Stacy, after a while- you'll forget all these sad feelings, and will only be left with the sweet/happy ones.
I promise.

Biskit

Sass is absolutely right. That was beautifully written, Loralei! The sadness will go away in time. It doesn't mean much now, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. You'll have to be patient with yourself in your progress in grieving. You'll see progress, and be encouraged, then, a bad day, two days, whatever, will come and you'll feel like you're back at square One. That does NOT signal any sort of failure. You're just being normal. Whatever you're feeling...............
I think you'll be able to find a contingent of us, here, who'll ride the rollercoaster with yu as best we can.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's a terrible club that we belong to - the ones who are left behind. But the only way to avoid it is never loving anyone enough to go through this hell. I don't think any of us would choose to love less, if given the chance. Stacy, Biskit, Sass, JoeC, and everyone else who's walked this way before - we will never be the same, but as Sass said, we will feel happiness again.

Biskit

It's a terrible club that we belong to - the ones who are left behind. But the only way to avoid it is never loving anyone enough to go through this hell. I don't think any of us would choose to love less, if given the chance. Stacy, Biskit, Sass, JoeC, and everyone else who's walked this way before - we will never be the same, but as Sass said, we will feel happiness again.

A terrible club, indeed, but, Terry nailed it. I wouldn't walk any different path, never!