what is a good brand of Feta?

Carolina Cooking

I am not in love with the brands I have been buying.
It says greek feta but it sure is lacking in flavour..

Also what is a good brand red wine vinegar?? I have been buying Regina.Its just OK.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm not a big user nor a big fan of feta, but when I do buy it, it get Atenos.

I usually get Pompeian red wine vinegar. I think it's pretty good.

Hope that helps.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm not a big user nor a big fan of feta, but when I do buy it, it get Atenos.

I usually get Pompeian red wine vinegar. I think it's pretty good.

Hope that helps.
I use the same feta. I use Regina or Progresso.

Carolina Cooking

actually that is the brand I have lol. Its just not as good as I have had in the past.

I know when I was living in Toronto Ca. I would go to the downtown market & buy fresh made ...:encore::encore:Oh my now that was so good.

I ate the whole thing driving home :yum:

We have a greektown here .I just hate driving all over the place to find stuff...

I just thought maybe I was using the wrong brand. It s not salty or something?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i usually look for my fave cheesemonger, check w/ him for the type of cheeses/flavors i'm looking for. i'll describe my criteria & he has stuff either on the shelves or in the cheese cave, & he'll offer a few varieties

homecook

I agree with SS on her brands of both, The best Feta is fresh and from a place that specializes in cheese but I would have to travel for that. Euphrates is another brand of cheese that is pretty good but I can't always find it.

Deelady

Same as the others, I reccomend to search for a small market that sells fresh. Or maybe a Middle Eastern market if you have one near you?

PanchoHambre

the best feta I have ever had came from a small, grimy, eastern european corner store down the block from my old apartment in Queens. They had it in water at the counter and cut off the by weight this "bulgarian" or "turkish" feta was creamy and pungent and far superior to the supermarket brands like Athenkos which are pretty good. Really great authentic stuff usually comes from the least glamorous sources.

PanchoHambre

Vinegar is like wine... there is great variety from region, grapes and production. nothing wrong with regina useful and fine but you can get wonderful craft vinegars as well if you need a special touch.

Mr. Green Jeans

We've shifted from feta to cojita (also queso seco). Maybe its the Mexican influence here but we like the milder flavor and the fact a piece will keep in the fridg for 8 weeks or more.