What's Cooking NCT - Sunday, 9-16-12 to Saturday, 9-22-12

Embryodad

Went by the butcher shop today. Had to have some dried beef and sage sausage patties and bologna. Made the chipped beef for supper.:readytoeat::whistling:

Boy, that surely looks good. We had that a lot when I was a kid. Mom used to get it in those cute jelly jars all packed in them tight.
Bro and I would drink our juice from those jars. Mom saved like three or four.

Now my wife makes it, but she likes diced canned peas and carrots mixed in. I don't like it like that, so I just shove the peas and carrots aside.:smile:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I reintroduced myself to the kitchen in the house....

While enjoying some Buffalo Trace bourbon, I'm about to start a big pot of cioppino.

Pretty sure I have enough to feed an army, so if anyone likes gulf shrimp, baby drum, PEI mussels and cherrystone clams, c'mon over.

I was tempted to bring the most beautiful soft shell crabs home from the restaurant today....but I really think that would be overkill.

Embryodad

Today was a Thomas' soft bagel toasted and made into a fried ham & egg with cheese sandwich.

Supper was two open faced grilled cheese sandwiches.

Dessert later will be a english muffin toasted and with cream cheese and a little cherry jam.

I'm home alone this weekend. DW went to Lancaster,PA to frolic and shop, and she and her friend ( she took my place because of my sciatic ) are going to the Sight and Sound Theater production of Jonah and the Whale there in Strassburg.
$98.00 worth of tickets; would be silly to throw them away.

What I will miss, is all the food there. UMmmm!

Embryodad

Going to get some chicken noodle soup from a place called Pat's.
It's got wide, thick noodles that are more like dumplings in appearance.
It's going to fit the bill today, as I feel a bug coming on.
Sorry to hear you are under the weather Sass.

Eat lots of soup, and drink tea or juice.

Get better soon.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Hope you get to feeling better Sass.

Spaghetti was on the menu tonight here.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Today was a Thomas' soft bagel toasted and made into a fried ham & egg with cheese sandwich.

Supper was two open faced grilled cheese sandwiches.

Dessert later will be a english muffin toasted and with cream cheese and a little cherry jam.

I'm home alone this weekend. DW went to Lancaster,PA to frolic and shop, and she and her friend ( she took my place because of my sciatic ) are going to the Sight and Sound Theater production of Jonah and the Whale there in Strassburg.
$98.00 worth of tickets; would be silly to throw them away.

What I will miss, is all the food there. UMmmm!
Used to live across the River from there. Best food around was an old diner out by the livestock auction. Been going there since i was a little boy. Real Pa. Dutch cooking.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmmmmmm SOS!
Looks good Bill.:applause:

Thanks Jimmy and Mama..
Pat's glorious chicken noodle dumpling soup.
It's soooooooooooo good!
I don't feel any worse than I did 24 hrs ago.

2012-09-21 20-05-51.676.jpg

Oh and I couldn't help myself, had to get the 6" tuna sub/tater chip combo.
Ate half the sub.. picked off the lettuce and tomato.. then put the rest in the fridge for later.

2012-09-21 20-09-30.777.jpg

Got Gretchen an all beef hotdog while I was at it.
She wolfed it right down.
Isn't that considered cannibalism?:yum:

Embryodad

Used to live across the River from there. Best food around was an old diner out by the livestock auction. Been going there since i was a little boy. Real Pa. Dutch cooking.
Yeah! can't beat the small places. The food is really good.
It's all commercialized now!.......

Breakfasts and Beef Heart are my favorites.

Embryodad

Mmmmmmmmmm SOS!
Looks good Bill.:applause:

Thanks Jimmy and Mama..
Pat's glorious chicken noodle dumpling soup.
It's soooooooooooo good!
I don't feel any worse than I did 24 hrs ago.

View attachment 16196

Oh and I couldn't help myself, had to get the 6" tuna sub/tater chip combo.
Ate half the sub.. picked off the lettuce and tomato.. then put the rest in the fridge for later.

View attachment 16197

Got Gretchen an all beef hotdog while I was at it.
She wolfed it right down.
Isn't that considered cannibalism?:yum:

HAaaaaaaaaa!!... I'll bet she swallyed it whole too!

Ummm... Love tuna salad on a roll. It makes it more interesting to eat without squeezeout!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have a hard time practicing restraint down there. The smells are intoxicating. And some of the baked goodies are wonderful.

Embryodad

I have a hard time practicing restraint down there. The smells are intoxicating. And some of the baked goodies are wonderful.
And I'm not there. Boo Hoo!!

I Don't worry, I know DW will bring me home plenty of goodies.
She already got me 2 lbs. of Chocolates from Wilburs Chocolates in Lititz.
On the way home Sunday she's gonna stop and get me some Sweet Lebanon Balogna!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Folks in other parts of the country just don't understand Lebanon bologna. Grew up with it and my gramp's homemade hard stick bologna. We would run out to the smoke hose and cut a nice big chunk to snack on. I just can't eat this pink stuff they call bologna up here. I will be making a trip tomorrow and coming back with some Lebanon bologna and other goodies from down there.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Yep! just cut a small chunk of cheese. Damn old tom cat nipped my finger he was in such a frenzy for a piece. For what that stuff costs they get real small pieces. He can smell that stuff from the next room and is here in a flash.:whistling:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hope your feeling better Lollie.

Well my back is in pain again. My allergies are driving me crazy (I think I may also have the beginning of a cold). I have been sneezing and one big sneeze yesterday and there goes the back. :sad:

Oh well tiz life!!

Ok so tonight I plan on making 3 lbs of ground beef into 2 meatloafs (1 for today and 1 for tomorrow). Spinach, mashed red potatoes and gravy with tonights.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps.
Just feel a little blah.
Most of it's a stuffy nose now with a slight cough.
Just had hot tea with an English muffin/butter and blackberry jam.

Dinner will probably be good old tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Your dinner sounds lovely. :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Meatloaf, mashed red potatoes (with sour cream and chives) and spinach

092212_meatloaf_P1090592_zpsee7e112f.jpg

Embryodad

Just had a roll with butter, and then a powdered Entenmans doughnut.

Stomach is qweezy from the pills for the sciatic pain.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thank you Jimmy. This was the second flare up. The first one lasted a little longer. Then I had about 2 weeks reprieve to catch up on all the stuff left undone and then wham it flared up again. I think I pushed myself to get caught up on stuff, over did it and just twisted the wrong way. It is hard to think or concentrate on anything between the pain and lack of sleep.

I give big thanks to Joe V and Cooksie for tonights dinner.
My first try at Joe’s no knead bread recipe (AWESOME!) and Cooksie’s Sausage, kale and bean soup (FANTASTIC!).

092012_no_knead_P1090581_zps71d70b73.jpg

092012_no_knead_slice_P1090584_zps7a14a22d.jpg

092012_sausage_kale_bean_soup_P1090589_zps0539c82e.jpg
Looking good, peeps.Yeah, that no-knead is pretty darn good bread. You did the recipe just fine.

Guts

Raspberry spinach salad tonight without the toasted sesame seeds oops!

Attachments

• raspberry spinach salad 001.jpg
    raspberry spinach salad 001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 151

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Meatloaf, mashed red potatoes (with sour cream and chives) and spinach

092212_meatloaf_P1090592_zpsee7e112f.jpg

That looks so delicious Peeps.
Every single thing about it.
I did end up having tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Earlier, my friends Roxie and John invited me out to their place for a pit fire (got a bunch together) to have a weenie roast, s'mores.. beer and lots of good rock music.
If I'd felt up to it, I'd have gone.
Been a long time since we all got together.
Gretchen would have liked it too, as she loves their Sheltie.
Oh well..

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had something last night that knocked my socks off. It was kind of a take on sweet and sour fish. I cut some cod into chunks, seasoned it, put it in beer batter, and deep fried it. Sauce was a mixture of orange marmalade, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Looking good, peeps.Yeah, that no-knead is pretty darn good bread. You did the recipe just fine.

Thank you Joe. I thought the first one was a bit over browned and a bit difficult to slice. So I did a second one and only baked that one for 10 minutes uncovered and it was perfect. I have been posting a link to your recipe ALL over the place including Facebook because everyone has been asking about the beautiful bread. I hope you don't mind. I have a question about the dough. After it sits for the 12 - 20 hours can I give it a little knead with some extra flour and use it like regular dough?

That looks so delicious Peeps.
Every single thing about it.
I did end up having tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Earlier, my friends Roxie and John invited me out to their place for a pit fire (got a bunch together) to have a weenie roast, s'mores.. beer and lots of good rock music.
If I'd felt up to it, I'd have gone.
Been a long time since we all got together.
Gretchen would have liked it too, as she loves their Sheltie.
Oh well..

Thank you Lollie. I hope you feel better soon.