Big score at the grocery store

chowhound

The chops looked very good, the country ribs looked pretty good, but I'm not sure about the bone in pork loin roast... What is that compareable to? A butt, a fresh ham, simply a loin roast? I'm not sure if I want to stick it in the oven with Ol-Blue's DO recipe or smoke it for pulled pork.
I should have take a separate pic, but I didn't. Here's the deal though :smile: That's a lotta decent cuts of meat for a little money!

Attachments

• pork deal1.jpg
    pork deal1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 141
  • pork deal2.jpg
    pork deal2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 141

homecook

The bone-in pork loin roast is something I've always put in the oven to roast with potatoes. It's just a loin roast with the bone. You could do it in the DO. Or cut it off the bone. The bone gives it alot of flavor in my opinion....I've never done pulled pork with it.
Someone else might have other suggestions. lol

I tend to buy those packs also when the price is right. I just got some last week but it was chops, boneless chops and a boneless pork loin for $.99/lb.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with HC on this one as I love them done in the oven as a roast.

GotGarlic

I don't think it's a good choice for pulled pork - the shoulder or butt are better choices, because they have the extra fat and connective tissue that will keep it moist after long cooking. A loin roast will get tough if you cook it too long.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everyone above is correct! Don't cook the beejezus out of that pork loin roast, Chow! It is absolutely delicious cooked just to 140 degrees, tops!

One of my very favorite cuts! As homecook suggested, quarter potatoes, toss them in a little oil and cook them in the pan along with the roast.

Can I join you for dinner that night? :flowers:

Lee

chowhound

Soitanly, Lee (lol).

Great info folks. No connective tissue. Got it. Thank you all very much.
I'll cook it like I did that boneless loin roast a couple months ago then. Using Ol-Blue's recipe, you know the one, Lee ;^)

ETA... I better find someone to share it with that night. This thing is huge, even by my standards.

homecook

Soitanly, Lee (lol).

Great info folks. No connective tissue. Got it. Thank you all very much.
I'll cook it like I did that boneless loin roast a couple months ago then. Using Ol-Blue's recipe, you know the one, Lee ;^)

ETA... I better find someone to share it with that night. This thing is huge, even by my standards.

I'm only 1-1/2 hrs. away......:yum:

Can you cut it in half??

chowhound

I'm only 1-1/2 hrs. away......:yum:

Can you cut it in half??

:lol: Good point.

Can I cut it in half? No. Not with that funky looking bone in it. I tried to cut a whole Boston Butt in half before and it was not a pleasant sight. I had this big ass, heavy, Ron Popeil cleaver out whacking away at that big ass bone, once I had it exposed where I wanted it... I'm surprised I can still hit the space bar with my left thumb :lol:

homecook

:lol: Good point.

Can I cut it in half? No. Not with that funky looking bone in it. I tried to cut a whole Boston Butt in half before and it was not a pleasant sight. I had this big ass, heavy, Ron Popeil cleaver out whacking away at that big ass bone, once I had it exposed where I wanted it... I'm surprised I can still hit the space bar with my left thumb :lol:

:ohmy: :oops: :yum::yum:

FryBoy

Isn't a bone-in pork loin roast pretty much the same thing as a beef standing rib ("prime rib") roast, just pig instead of cow?

Anyway, it should be better with the bone in it.

chowhound

A Ron Popeil cleaver?
:yum::yum::yum:

Oh yeah. A Ron Popeil cleaver.
I got it when I was suckered into buying his Showtime knife several years ago because I thought I needed a knife that could cut through aluminum cans and frozen spinach. They threw in 114 other "but wait" knives and a Hyundai free. At least I think that's where that Hyundai came from...

:wink:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ah, the bone in pork loin end roast - mucho good!

by happenstance I got one today - it's enjoying itself on a long slow roast at 260'F

- currently looks like:

Attachments

• pork loin bone in.JPG
    pork loin bone in.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 129

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>post the results....

uhmmmm, not to put a fine point to it, but the results got eaten!

okay.... cooked it to 135'F - rested for 15 minutes. not quite as much carry over as expected. big end was a tad too pink but second slice was fine.

so then we got to the plating - fresh garden beans, local bi-color

Attachments

• pork roast slice.JPG
    pork roast slice.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 127
  • pork roast plated.JPG
    pork roast plated.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 126

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always take pork regardless of the cut to at least 145 internal temp then let it rest under tin foil tent. Once rested it will usually get to 157 to 162 degrees which is fine with a slight pink to it and surely not dry at all.

chowhound

Thanks for the pics, CM.
Good looking plate (of food).
Just a tad pink for me, too, on that big end. I like pork pretty much white. Unless we're talking smoke ring :^)
Your temps and rest period will help me dial mine in.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Your temps and rest period will help me dial mine in.

I did the long&slow thing - 260'F. I suspect with a higher roasting temp. the carryover would have been 'more better'

the other issue is "and just where did you poke with that there thermalbobbiter...?"

that said, personally I like a little pink in the center on pork.
the juice was running thru the fork on this one - very moist and tender.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep! That's it.

It IS, Fred? I've never seen that cut before.

I thought the one you took a photo of looked more like mine, which is like a bunch of pork chops all stuck together.

It looks good, nonetheless!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I stick the thermometer so it doesn't hit the bone as the bone will make it show too high. You can also use and instant read and check it once it looks close. I have both and really depends on how much meat is around the bone. I also cook mine about 325 to 350 degrees when roasting. Low and slow is fine sometimes but not for this in my personal opinion.

chowhound

I've only done rolled pork roasts low and slow in the oven... 275 for four hours if I remember right. It's been a year and I always need to look these things in my notes. And from what I've been told, a rolled pork roast is nothing more than a butt with the bone removed and tied up. So that would have the connective tissue which would add juice and flavor once it breaks down.

Maybe I'll take this roast back out of the freezer and cook it Sunday, just to see what I have here. The sale goes until Wednesday and I was thinking of buying more for the freezer. Where the hell's Bam? He could probably pull up some pics of one he smoked and comment. (lol).

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The chops looked very good, the country ribs looked pretty good, but I'm not sure about the bone in pork loin roast... What is that compareable to? A butt, a fresh ham, simply a loin roast? I'm not sure if I want to stick it in the oven with Ol-Blue's DO recipe or smoke it for pulled pork.
I should have take a separate pic, but I didn't. Here's the deal though :smile: That's a lotta decent cuts of meat for a little money!

I went to Giant Eagle and picked up one of those bundles, and had the chops for dinner. They were delicious and moist, and I ate three of the four. The rest was split up in meal sized packages and sealed in FoodSaver packs. Good deal!

chowhound

Yep. Good deal for sure, Jpe. I wasn't sure if our stores ran the same specials.
My chops are 1" thick, which is a bit thicker than I favor, so I packaged them by twos. Beats me whether they came that way or are cut and packaged in the store.

Well come on, Q. You're in NE OH somewhere.... you must be reasonably close to a GE.... :^D

chowhound

My chops didn't look anything like Joe's either Barb. His have handles. They almost looked like lamb chops to me. Mine are like porterhouse steak style, but still a much better cut than I got from that local butcher a while back.
Either that or we don't sift through the packages enough :lol:

homecook

My chops didn't look anything like Joe's either Barb. His have handles. They almost looked like lamb chops to me. Mine are like porterhouse steak style, but still a much better cut than I got from that local butcher a while back.
Either that or we don't sift through the packages enough :lol:

You mean like the corn?? :yum:
Well mine were all boneless. The ones I made last night I got from the family grocery. They were loin chops and didn't look like his either. :lol: