Miracle Whip

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Overseas question - just what is Miracle Whip - I had always assumed in was an artificial cream, but them it has been used in Joe's macaroni salad.

chowhound

It's a mayo substitute, Ray. Some people like it, some don't. It has a unique taste.

ETA; Maybe next contest you win you can ask for a jar of Miracle Whip instead... lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dry mustard
6 T. vinegar
3 C. vegetable oil
(Combine in a blender on high until whipped)

3 T. flour or cornstarch
1 C. boiling water
2 T. granulated sugar
1/4 C. white vinegar
1 T. salt

(Combine in a saucepan and cook to a smooth paste. Add this hot mixture to the mayonnaise and blend well).

i know they sell Hellmans mayonaisse in the UK..and i believe Hellmans also started making whipped dressing. Kraft on the other hand doesnt sell it in UK...

skyco.uk.com/products.asp?cat=10

Kraft Miracle Whip Regular 16oz £ 3.78

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Watch out Mini, it's addictive. I love the stuff.
It's like mayonnaise but better IMHO. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can use a good mayonnaise any where it calls for Miracle Whip it is just my preference. As others have said it has a bit more taste to it that mayo does. It is mayo on steroids as far as I would describe it.

gadzooks

I also prefer Miracle Whip's tang to mayo, but the way I'm eating now is very low carbohydrate, and fat is OK. That means mayo instead of Miracle Whip, at least for the foreseeable future. Of course, that means no bread, too, so not a sandwich on my horizon. Drat...

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I also prefer Miracle Whip's tang to mayo, but the way I'm eating now is very low carbohydrate, and fat is OK. That means mayo instead of Miracle Whip, at least for the foreseeable future. Of course, that means no bread, too, so not a sandwich on my horizon. Drat...

Stay with it; I lost 45 pounds over 18 months doing the low-carb boogie; DanDiamond had almost as much success.........we still go back to it when we think things are getting out of hand........:thumb:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for all the replies - I now have a much better idea - don't think you can beat Hellman's though.

Biskit

We use Miracle Whip exclusively in our house. It goes on lots of things.
Sandwiches, mixed with some green veggies. I even make a quick salad dressing by mixing it with heavy cream, or use that dressing for cole slaw.

I dollop it on baked potatoes........................................

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I grew up on Miracle Whip - it's all my mother ever bought. We called it mayonnaise, and I didn't know the difference until I was an adult.

Miracle Whip has more of a sweet/tart taste while mayonnaise tastes creamier and smoother.

Now, in my house I keep them both on hand and use them for different things. For example, I can eat mayonnaise right off the spoon for a snack - I can't do that with MW!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Added note:
You know how we in the states have almost an entire freaking aisle of salad dressings and such?
When I lived in the UK, the ONLY salad dressings I could find were the above, and once in a while Kraft Ranch and about 4 others on the shelf... this was at a store called Sainsbury's. They had everything lol

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We are better than that now - I wouldn't say there is an aisle full, but there is much more choice on salad dressings & mayonaise now.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
IMHO - Miracle Whip is mayo with sugar. It's just sweeter. I prefer real mayo. But many LOVE MW. Even DW likes it. But I'll stick to regular mayo.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Best Foods has been one of our biggest customers for years, but even if they weren't, it would be Hellman's all the way.................my mother was a Miracle Whip person, tho' so I've had plenty of experience with that stuff, for sure.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I like MW on sandwiches sometimes.
When it comes to making cold salads, it's got to be real mayo.

sirena

There was a time in my twenties and was a new convert to Hellman's, that I just couldn't get my sandwiches to taste right. I'd put mustard and pickles in, but still couldn't get them to taste right. The I realized that my Mom had made all those school lunch sandwiches with Miracle Whip, not mayo. So I tried that and bingo! They tasted exactly right. So now I keep both in the fridge. So if you can't seem to get something to taste the way mom used to make it, try switching out the mayo for MW or vice versa, and see if it makes a difference.:smile:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure taht I want everything the way mom made it. In fact I would prefer not to think of some of those dishes.

homecook

There was a time in my twenties and was a new convert to Hellman's, that I just couldn't get my sandwiches to taste right. I'd put mustard and pickles in, but still couldn't get them to taste right. The I realized that my Mom had made all those school lunch sandwiches with Miracle Whip, not mayo. So I tried that and bingo! They tasted exactly right. So now I keep both in the fridge. So if you can't seem to get something to taste the way mom used to make it, try switching out the mayo for MW or vice versa, and see if it makes a difference.:smile:

That's funny! I went out to visit my brother a couple years ago and he wanted me to make deviled eggs like my mom used to. (They only use mayo.) I told him I couldn't make it unless I had Miracle Whip and he didn't realize that was the difference. Now he keeps a small jar just for those few things. lol
I prefer MW and Dh prefers mayo. I use both for different things.

sirena

That's funny! I went out to visit my brother a couple years ago and he wanted me to make deviled eggs like my mom used to. (They only use mayo.) I told him I couldn't make it unless I had Miracle Whip and he didn't realize that was the difference. Now he keeps a small jar just for those few things. lol
I prefer MW and Dh prefers mayo. I use both for different things.

Exactly! Each has a unique flavor and different uses. Sometimes the tastes of your childhood, however unsophisticated, are just what you want. I was so delighted when I bit into that first tuna sandwich I made with MW when I finally figured out the difference. The tang in MW is just what the tuna needed. I always have both on hand and will also make my own mayo with olive oil on occasion. Also aioli (garlic mayonnaise) when it's called for. Viva mayonnaise in all it's lovely forms!:clap:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There is also a Japanese Mayo that I have beside Hellman's and Miracle Whip called Kewpie. It has a taste like a cross between Hellman's and MW.

Attachments

• Kewpie Manonnaise_Japanese Mayo.jpg
    Kewpie Manonnaise_Japanese Mayo.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 158

FryBoy

My mother always bought Miracle Whip because it cheaper than real mayonnaise, although i think she also both mayo on occasion. However, DW won't hear of it, even though I doubt she's ever tasted it. Best Foods is the only option in our house -- and she buys the LIGHT version, which is OK for the limited amount we use it.

BTW, Best Foods = Hellman's in the western U.S.