Cutting boards

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What types of cutting boards do you guys use? I have 2 Cherry wood that are made by the Boardsmith and a Sani Tuff rubber board I use for raw meats only. I've attached a few pictures of mine with the sizes below.

16" dia. x 3"
20" x 16" x 2" with groove
20" dia. x 3" (gave as a gift to a daugther in law)
I also have a bread/cheese board that I picked up this year from Dave. I don't have any pictures of it but it is shown (cherry wood also) in the family portrait at The Boardsmith site http://www.theboardsmith.net./
The last picture is a quick knife block I built for my most used cleavers which Dave is now building me one in cherry wood for 8 cleavers and 3 knives.

Attachments

• GudeShun1.jpg
    GudeShun1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 154
  • BoardSmithCherry2.jpg
    BoardSmithCherry2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Cherry wood board 20x3 David Smith.jpg
    Cherry wood board 20x3 David Smith.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 152
  • CleaverBlock2_s.jpg
    CleaverBlock2_s.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 152

The Tourist

Banned
BTW, the subject of cutting boards is one of those "Ford vs Chevy" styles of debating that will never be solved.

Personally (and I must add that this is a personal preference) that I prefer bamboo. My choice began as I used Japanese knives more, and saw what their cutlers recommended. Further, I truly enjoy the quiet calm of rubbing oil into aboard periodically.

DSC00379.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I didn't see the rubber board mentioned by Joe.
Those are some very nice cutting boards.
How do you clean them after use?
Don't you cut meat on those boards? If that is a bad practice I need to know. :hide:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've tried bamboo myself but with some of my knives I've seen micro chipping as a result of using them. It really depends though on what they bond them together with.

I also use mineral oil/bee's wax combo that I get from either David (Boardsmith) or Dave (D_R_Sharpening) that I do my wood boards with. I do mine about once a week but clean with a vinegar/water solution after each use. I built a walnut mahogany cutting board from my grand mother in junior high school wood shop which lasted almost 40 years and took a hurricane to finally finish it. She just used mineral oil on it and also cleaned it with vinegar/water solution, just make sure the mineral oil is food grade. She even did raw meats on it and we never got sick so who knows with all the food safety stuff required now.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have a cherry wood one that a BIL made for my wife. Very nice.