Brown sugar vs turbinado

chowhound

I've never seen a rub recipe call for turbinado sugar. They may exist, I just haven't seen one, so if they do exist I'll figure they aren't near as common as those using brown sugar.
For the hell of it last Sunday, instead of using brown sugar in my rib rub I used turbinado. I sprinkled it on top before I wrapped the ribs to come down to room temp. I was actually experimenting with a different chili spice on a rack, too, but that's another story. My normal rub subbing in the turbinado in place of the brown came out great. And in my opinion, the sugar in the raw is a lot easier to work with as it doesn't clump or harden up on you.

Comments? Is there a reason brown sugar gets the nod?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Maybe because brown sugar has molasses in it? Another element introduced.

chowhound

According to the box of turbinado; "The natural molasses remaining in the crystals...."
So, I think it has the molasses part covered. Unless brown sugar has more. And then of course you get into light and dark...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i use it because it is cane sugar...most brown sugar is beet sugar with molasses added to it...

turbinado doesnt burn like regular brown sugar does and IMHO tastes 100% better

as for why recipes dont call for it or you dont see them is simple...sugar in the raw - turbinado is just more expensive.

Last edited:

chowhound

:wwpics: wheres them ribs?..lol

Well they were in Sunday's dinner pics! Here they are again, but I got the sauce on late and wasn't happy with the overall color. I flipped them over trying to hurry things along, as evidenced with the slight grill marks.

So you use turbinado, huh? Figures I didn't come up with something new.... or..... great minds think alike! Yeah, that's it. :lol: I had already decided I'm going to stick with the turbinado because I could actually taste the sweetness in the rub. And it's easier to work with.

Attachments

• 3-22-ribq.jpg
    3-22-ribq.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 199

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
great minds think alike! Yeah, that's it. :lol: I had already decided I'm going to stick with the turbinado because I could actually taste the sweetness in the rub. And it's easier to work with.

yes i like it alot better... of course great minds think alike.lol

it took me along time here in canada to find it, which is strange because we still use cane sugar in our soft drinks.

i got hooked on sugar in the raw while visiting starbucks of all places..lol

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Often in baking turbinado sugar is used as a decorating sugar that adds sweetness and texture. As it melts well and quickly it is often used in creme caramel and creme brulee. It will add moisture to desserts like other brown sugars so one can't substitute it for white in all cases.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks for the info, guys. i need to buy some brown sugar as i ran out of what i hd making the pulled pork. i'll look for turbinado.

what is had was called brownulated sugar. what the heck is that?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thanks for the info, guys. i need to buy some brown sugar as i ran out of what i hd making the pulled pork. i'll look for turbinado.

what is had was called brownulated sugar. what the heck is that?

that stuff is grandulated sugar with some molasses mixed in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

Many brown sugar producers produce brown sugar by adding cane molasses to completely refined white sugar crystals in order to more carefully control the ratio of molasses to sugar crystals and to reduce manufacturing costs. This also allows the production of brown sugars to be based predominantly on beet sugar. Brown sugar prepared in this manner is often much coarser than its unrefined equivalent and its molasses may be easily separated from the crystals by simple washing to reveal the underlying white sugar crystals; with unrefined brown there is inclusion of molasses within the crystal which will appear off-white if washed. This is mainly done for inventory control and convenience.