ISO Help w/ breast of Veal

PanchoHambre

I recently cooked a veal breast. This is a cut I have never tried before. It interested me because it was cheap at $1.50 lb and I was looking for some variety.

After looking at a number of recipes I settled on the idea of a tomato based braise to create a sort of ragu.

Many recipes were for stuffed but I did not want to do this I wanted to keep the bones for flavor and do a low slow easy type recipe.

here is what I did

First I browned the breast in a large CI do with some olive oil

removed and set aside and added onions, carrots, celery, fennel, garlic and sweat in the oil

deglazed with some Marsala and added 2 cups chicken stock... returned the breast to the pot and added 2 cans san marzano tomatos which I then crushed with a wooden spoon..

brought the DO to a simmer and placed in the oven on 260 for 4 hours

when finished I removed and cooled and refrigerated over night (becasue it was then late and I was not feeling like doing any more.

Next day I removed the breast and used and immersion blender to puree the braising liquid and veggies into a suco

This part turned out really good

the problem was the breast itself. I was hoping that much of the fat would render out and I would have a piece of meat I could slice into serveble portions. When I tried to do this cutting against the grain (as you would a brisket) I did not get very appetising portions. There was too much fat still there in layers dividing the edible parts. Also the bones did not "slide right out" as I was let to believe the would.

My solution was hand seperating the meat from the bones and fat like you would with pulled pork and adding it back to the suco to make a meat sauce..

This was good but I feel like I could have gotten more out of this

any ideas?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Stuffed veal breasts make a beautiful presentation and the cut is usually made this way because there is usually so little meat there. One needs the filler. As for the fat, there is not much you can do but trim it after the fact. If you do too much trimming before hand the meat can be tough. My mom made it a few times but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.