Which wine should we bring?

lilylove

We've been invited for dinner at a friends house tomorrow.

They will be making pasta with a white cheese and walnut sauce.

should we bring a red or white wine?

Thanks!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For a pasta with a white cream sauce, I'd say a white wine. A nice crisp Pinot Grigio would be my choice. :beer:

homecook

My choice would be white also (cuz that's the only kind I drink) lol. You could also try a Clos du Bois Chardonnay. It is crisp and dry at the same time.

Barb

PanchoHambre

White!

Pinot Grigio is nice with food and a wine most people like SantaMargherita is very palatable and popular. A good safe choice.

Calicolady

There's a white called Luna de Lune. Different colored bottles for different flavors of wines. Try the red bottle or purple bottle - I can't remember which I like more-both good for around $11-$13 a bottle.

Calicolady

Also, chenin blanc is a very mild white wine. Not as dry as a chardonnay, or sweet as a pinor grigio.
I think, if you're not a big wine, or white wine drinker, it's a safe bet.

The Tourist

Banned
For Italian, the lines are blurred. This is especially true of younger, sweeter wines.

My wife sometimes get headaches from the red. I perfer a sweeter wine like Prairie Fume. Then again, I have trouble figuring out which is the correct fork.

If you really want to be a good guest, bring the host his/her favorite brand.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Before you worry about that....has the hostess already picked the wine she wants for dinner?

I ask because when I invite people for dinner, I manage the entire menu, including wine and dessert. I'm always appreciative of a house gift of wine, but I don't want to feel obligated to serve it with dinner. Same goes with dessert, but you didn't ask about that...;)

If the host is actually expecting you to bring wine to serve with the meal, you have to find out what type of sauce she's making...if it's a heavy, meaty sauce or some light and airy sauce.

lilylove

well... I got FETZER Venyards Chardonnay from California... it looked pretty
and a lady at the store said it tasted good.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Fetzer’s not bad at all, it (like nearly all Chardonnays) is rather dry. I like Chardonnay myself, but DW doesn’t care for dry wines, and won’t touch a Chardonnay. She likes wines a bit sweeter, but everyone is different. I love a good Merlot, which I’ve heard some actually call “bitter” because it is so dry, but it’s nice with a savory red meat like steak, especially if you have sweet peas as a side. Experienced wine drinkers will appreciate a good dry wine, but those that are new to it typically need to be “won over” with something wet. If they asked you to bring wine, then they should be accustomed to Charddonay (it's rather popular), so you should be fine!

homecook

I like Fetzer's also. I also like Kendall Jackson. I'm sure it will be fine. The one I mentioned above is my new favorite!

Barb

lilylove

Well.... Our night was really fun! By the time we got there they were well in to their driinks already so the wine never did get opened but that's ok. Dinner... um the pasta was HORRID. LOL. Noodles were so raw they were chrunchy in places and the sauce was cold by the time she brought it to the table. The store bought garlic bread was cold and tasteless... I brought a spinach salad and a orange oil and vinegar dressing, tasted great but our hostess did mention that she hated having to put her own dressing on her salad and really thought it was better when the salads came all ready dressed. Dinner however was saved by the best cheese cake that Paul and I had ever had! DELISH!!!!!

Our friends have a beautiful new home and we very much enjoyed seeing it and hearing all the details of the construction. We spent hours catching up and talking and laughing. It really was nice.

They have two children. A five year old girl who is a dream child. Beautiful,sweet, polite. She helped make dinner and helped set the table and said please and thank you and excuse me. WONDERFUL.

and then... and three year old boy... oh my gosh... when is it right for guests in a home to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? He screamed from the minute we got there until the time we left. Stood in them middle of us the intire time and yelled MOM DAD DAD MOM over and over until one of them gave him what ever he wanted (at one point it was two glass swizzle sticks which he broke and then was given two more) and he always got what he wanted...ran around in circles and just begged for attention... I am wrong to think this was strange? I know kids have bad days...but this seemed to me like it had to be normal behavior...

other than that it was a pretty great night!!!

thanks for your wine help!

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, it sounds like you had a good night, 3l.

as far as little kids go, everyday is an experience. and it's so much of a life consuming experience that i guess you tend to forget the daily minutaea.

5 year olds (and comedians :smile:) are narcissists. the universe revolves around them. nothing can be done by the parents to change it.

the saving grace for 5 year olds is that they grow up.

btw, that cute little girl will soon be the.. well, you know.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Stood in them middle of us the intire time and yelled MOM DAD DAD MOM over and over until one of them gave him what ever he wanted

I know a 78 year old man who acts in a similar fashion. Hopefully the 3 year old will grow up. Some folks never do. :blush:

lilylove

It wasn't the child I had a problem with it was the parents... I just think they could have said "just a minute...mommy is talking now" or "can you wait a second?" or ... something.

Suzi...Kathe... how would you have handled it?

I'm trying to remember back to when DAK was little... and I'm pretty sure I would have removed him from the room... but... it was a long time ago.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It wasn't the child I had a problem with it was the parents... I just think they could have said "just a minute...mommy is talking now" or "can you wait a second?" or ... something.

Suzi...Kathe... how would you have handled it?

I'm trying to remember back to when DAK was little... and I'm pretty sure I would have removed him from the room... but... it was a long time ago.

I agree with you. I was raised that children are seen and not heard when the "grown-ups" are entertaining. Mom would have put me in my room in a flash for doing what that kid did.

lilylove

maybe not for the whole night... but until he could sit down and color or paint or play with his cars and trucks or something... ????

buckytom

Grill Master
my son is a very engaging, talkative kid.
unfortunately, he also craves attention, so he's had the bad habit of interrupting adults talking to try to join the conversation.
he's around adults all day that really do pay attention to him, so it's not his fault. he just needs to learn how it works in larger groups, and with adults.
my wife and i constantly have to stop our conversations when he interrupts, to make sure he knows it's wrong. that also seems to annoy other adults, so you can't win.
so far, he's been good and after being told, he'll impatiently wait, quietly asking us (the one that's not talking as much) when is it his turn.

i hope we never have tio get to time outs or removing him from a room. i don't want him to think his opinion doesn't matter, or lose his friendly, engaging way.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
maybe not for the whole night... but until he could sit down and color or paint or play with his cars and trucks or something... ????

Yep! If you can act proper, no problem, otherwise it's timeout in your room till you can.

lilylove

That's just it Tom...they never did anything to correct the problem. It just went on and on.

I don't know.. maybe I'm just old and grumpy these days and I've forgotten how three year olds are?