Hors d'œuvre suggestions needed?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
DW is throwing a shower for our soon to be DIL.

I am to prepare Hors d'œuvres (probably the day before) and vanish for the party.

I can think of a few kinds of little cocktail sandwiches, Olives of a couple kinds, maybe a small cheese tray.

Any other suggestions?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Fruit trays are always nice. I like to hollow out half of a pineapple and fill it with a french cream dip:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup of cool whip, whipped topping
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Pineapple juice for thinning down the dip
Cream together the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until well blended. Add the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Fold in the cool whip and use pineapple juice to thin it down to the desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Here's one that I did for a Bridal Shower a while back:

Attachments

• fruit-tray-dip.jpg
    fruit-tray-dip.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 197

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama, that is beautiful.

Thnk You

Phiddlechick - thank you

I had not given any thought to fruits or nuts - great ideas!

K

Kimchee

Kids coming?
Can't beat Lil Smokie Pigs In a Blanket for them!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Nope no kids - All adult females. I am kicked out, after I cook it all, LOL.

Gotta figgure out what to do with a day all to myself, it's been a while.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You're welcome Andy. It was a HUGE hit!

Here's a pic of the rest of the food. From the bottom, clockwise (on the main table): Chicken fingers, stuffed mushrooms, Below the mushrooms that you can't see very well are a variety of cut veggies, spinach/artichoke rolls, punch, bacon wrapped shrimp, breaded cheese sticks and wraps made with sliced turkey breast, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato.

In the background are individual trifles I made with frozen and thawed mixed berries, pound cake and vanilla pudding. I made two layers and then topped with real whipped cream and maraschino cherries. The fruit tray is in the center of the back table.

Let me know if you'd like any of the recipes. The fruit tray, trifles and the spinach/artichoke rolls all received rave reviews.

Attachments

• bridal-shower.jpg
    bridal-shower.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
K

Kimchee

Something with chocolate would probably be a winner...
chocolate dipped ?????

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama - I cannot imagine any of that not getting rave reviews.

I suppose one of the things that I need to get before I go crazy is the number of people, and I will probably ask for any food alergies or major dislikes.

The bride to be is a great person who does the world for everyone, not a lot for herself and gets kind of self conscious when people do things for her.

I want her to have as good as she gives everyone else.

Edit to add - She just took her father and stepmother into her house so she could help him recover from a heart attack, she just buried her grandmother (Planned the funeral and put on the repast single handed). She dumped the shower cause she said she didn't need it. I think she deserves it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama - I cannot imagine any of that not getting rave reviews.

That was sweet Andy, thank you!

She just took her father and stepmother into her house so she could help him recover from a heart attack, she just buried her grandmother (Planned the funeral and put on the repast single handed). She dumped the shower cause she said she didn't need it. I think she deserves it.

She most definitely deserves it. Make it a day to remember!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I want to go to a party that YOU have catered, Mama! That spread looks spectacular. And it also looks like it would taste so GOOD. Andy, here is a sort of antipasto something I made a few weeks ago to take to a party. It is easy to make up ahead of time, as long as you keep the marinated vegetables separate.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 205

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you Karen! I wouldn't mind digging into that platter of yours either...YUM!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I want Mama and Karen to cater for me. Its Peep day whenever you can deliver!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

I am to prepare Hors d'œuvres (probably the day before) and vanish for the party.

I can think of a few kinds of little cocktail sandwiches, Olives of a couple kinds, maybe a small cheese tray.

Any other suggestions?

Don't kill yourself over this Andy.
As long as you've got some sannies, olives and a cheese tray planned- just concentrate on smaller additions and don't fuss going all out putting a lot of work into it, unless you want to.
Keep it simple.
I'd prepare a bowl of a good nut mixture (smoked almonds, cashews and pistachios) then perhaps do some white chocolate dipped strawberries or pretzel rods, wrapped and ribboned.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
My standby appetizer used to be mini-quiches. Not sure why I don't make them much anymore. But they are so easy to make in a mini muffin tin, and you can even buy prepared pie crust to make it easier. Nice thing is, that they can be served at room temp, so you can make them up the day before. I've made some with brie and toasted walnuts, also bacon and spinach. Here's a link to some ideas: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/41/Wedding_Appetizer__Mini_Quiche21175.shtml

Any other suggestions?

Tea sandwiches come to mind. You can fill them with almost anything from cucumbers, butter & dill or watercress - to roast beef, chicken, egg salad, etc.

Devilled (pesto) eggs.

Meatballl sliders on Hawaiian rolls.

Shrimp cocktail - Homemade, or from the deli counter (comes in a ring with the cocktail sauce). You could purchase disposable party martini glasses, & fill with the shrimp cocktail.

Tortellini kabobs.

Mushroom & sour cream croissants. I have a recipe. Give a holler.

Antipasto platter.

Chicken liver pate with crackers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Crockpot sausages with chili sauce and grape jelly (great!)
How to make it

• Cut up kielbasa into coin shape pieces (as thick or thin as you would like them). Place in Crockpot
  • Add Heinz chili sauce and grape jelly to crockpot.
  • Stir to combine. Let cook for 2hrs on medium setting.
  • Keep on low during social event to keep warm.
- Crockpot meatballs

- Caprese bites (cherry tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil picks drizzled with balsamic vinegar (Silver Sage's)

- Cantalope pieces wrapped in proscuitto

- Shrimp cocktail (already been mentioned, but always a hit)

- Smoked salmon on party pumpernickel slices, smeared with cream cheese mixed with red onion and capers (rolled up together, or just layered)

- I ALWAYS love the idea of an Italian antipasto with great bread!

I don't have pictures of all of them, but I'll post what I have.

Lee

Attachments

• Caprese Tomato appetizers.JPG
    Caprese Tomato appetizers.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Smoked Salmon appetizers.JPG
    Smoked Salmon appetizers.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 191
  • QP antipasto close.JPG
    QP antipasto close.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 177
I remembered a recipe I thought I saved from BHG, for wonton wrapped shrimp with a dipping sauce. Searched my files for about 1/2 an hour, but no luck. Hopefully, I can locate it again & share. Meanwhile, this recipe is very close (if not identical). Enjoy.

Wonton Wrapped Shrimp

• SERVES 3-4 as an appetizer
  • 15 large raw shrimp, tails either left on or removed for easier eating (I leave the tails on)
  • 15 wonton wrappers
  • 1-2 cups oil for high-heat frying (coconut oil, corn, or other healthy oil)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh coriander/cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp. fish sauce OR soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 red chili, minced, OR 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili, OR 1-2 tsp. chili sauce
  • Optional: bottle of Thai sweet chili sauce for serving (available in most supermarkets in the Asian section)
  • Other: a little cornstarch
Preparation:

Tip: To help shrimp lay flat instead of curled, make a cut along the back of the shrimp (as if you were butterflying it). This will make wrapping easier.

Place shrimp in a bowl and add the garlic, coriander, fish or soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and chili. Be sure the coriander is finely chopped for the best taste.

Toss well and set aside to marinate 10 minutes (or up to 30). Meanwhile, prepare your pan for frying -- a small frying-pan or wok (you want oil about 1 inch deep).

Toss the shrimp once again before wrapping. To wrap, lay out the first wonton wrapper on the diagonal. Brush the entire surface with beaten egg, then position the shrimp horizontally across the center (with its tail sticking out past the left corner). Fold the right corner over the bottom of the shrimp, then bring up the bottom and tuck over. Roll quite tightly to finish and press firmly to seal.

Place wrapped shrimp on a plate lightly dusted with cornstartch (to keep wrappers from sticking).

Heat oil over medium-high heat. To test if oil is hot enough, dip one of the wrapped shrimp in - if it starts to sizzle and cook, the oil is ready. Fry the wrapped shrimp about 1 minute per side, or until light golden brown and crunchy. Once your first batch is frying, reduce heat to medium. Drain on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.

Serve as is, OR with Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping. This appetizer can be kept in a warm oven (uncovered) for up to 1 hour.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisnacks/r/wontonwrappedshrimp.htm

Last edited: