OK, so now I have a kielbasi

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love it with German Potato Salad. Keep the potatoes just slightly on the undercooked side. Put them in a baking dish.

Slice the kielbasa over the top, and bake until everything's hot and the potatoes finish cooking.

The vinegary tang of the potatoes are great with the sausage.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
You could simply have it sliced up after cooking with green beans, black eyed peas, and Mama's cornbread...:whistling:... just a suggestion..:lol:

2010-01-07 17-31-21.543.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Y'all are great, now I need more Kielbasi. LOL Thank You.

BTW -Y'all is a New Jersey expression. LOL

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
SS - I am ISO a good German potato salad recipe if you have one.

I asked my friend in Germany (born and raised all his life) if he or his sister has a recipe. I'll let you know if he comes through.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Now that ?Jambalaya would definitely be a crowd pleaser. I have like d that outdoor DO since you first posted pix of it. Where did you get that?

Lefty

Yank
BBQ baked beans and cole slaw with basa are one of my favorites. If I was really in the mood I would throw in some jalepeno corn bread to round it out.

K

Kimchee

Pierogies!
Cut the sausage up, and brown it nicely with some onions, till onions
are carmelized.
Layer some pierogies on top, reduce heat, cover till they are cooked.
Serve with mustard and/or sour cream.
(Cooking the pierogies on top of the keilbasa keeps them from becoming
potstickers!)

buckytom

Grill Master
i hope i'm not too late, andy, but this is dw's one and only way, as learned from her mom.

first, brown some ringed onions in a hot skillet in butter, then mix with sauerkraut and cook until any liquid is absorbed. sprinkle this mixtute with black pepper and caraway seeds (the seeds are optional).

place kielbasa in a pot of boiling water with a few peeled and quartered potatoes for a few minutes, then remove kielbasi and set aside. let the potatoes continue to cook until just beginning to get soft, but not cooked through. drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.

in a deep glass baking dish, combine the potatoes and kraut/onion mixture and spread across the dish. nestle the keilbasa into the mixture, dot everything with butter and bake uncovered at 375 for 30 minutes, until the edges of everything get a little brown and crisp.

remove kielbasa and slice on a bias, serve atop a plate of the onions, kraut and potatoes with spicy brown mustard, and polish rye with sweet butter.

hth.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds delicious, BT!! I will try that!

Andy, did you have a smoked or fresh kielbasa?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My friend in Germany got me a recipe for German Potato salad from his sister.

2kg potatos
1 glass of Miracle Whip
5 eggs
1 big onions
4 small gherkins, with gherkin liquid
200g ring bologna (I think that’s what you call it)
1 pack. chives (or fresh)
100g bacon
50g whipped cream
5 teaspoons mustard (medium)
2 tablespoonfuls butter
1 pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper

Cook potatos 20 mins, let them cool down, peel and them slice them up, put them in a bowl.

While the potatos are cooking, cook the eggs 5 mins, let them cool down.

Cut the onions, bacon and bologna in small pieces (cubes) and roast them briefly in butter. Add this to the potatos.

Quarter the gherkins lengthwise and then into pieces. Cut the eggs into slices and add them to the bowl together with the salt, pepper, chives, gherkins und a pinch of sugar. Add a sip of gherkin liquid, mustard, cream (not whipped, still liquid) and stir well.

Season it with salt and pepper.

I haven’t made this one it mayself as my potato salad is usually much quicker to do and has less ingredients (I have made the ingredients I use bold). I also add tomatos and sometimes corn. But therefore it’s not an authentic one. Also, I usually make noodle salad instead of potato salad. The ingredients are usually the same: The most important part is Miracle Whip (and that again comes from the US). I don’t know if your Miracle Whip is the same as ours, although ours is also from Kraft. It’s classic over here. Notice how they changed the spelling from Miracle to Miracel, so that Germans pronounce it right…

Guten Appetit!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Now that Jambalaya would definitely be a crowd pleaser. I have liked that outdoor DO since you first posted pix of it. Where did you get that?

I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods. You should be able to get them at any place that sells camping supplies.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I forgot to upload the picture of the German "Miracel" Whip!

Attachments

• mw.jpg
    mw.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 120

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee I think it is smoked. Now you have me hunting for a fresh one.

I picked this up for a quick weekday meal, You all have given me so many ideas that you have opened up a whole new area that I have to explore.

All of this is great!

buckytom

Grill Master
a strange one to do with kielbasa is a recipe from my sister. she grills it, then slices and puts it in a crock pot on warm, and tops it with duck sauce. it's served in the warmed crock. sort of sweet and salty.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'll make a thread for it. It's very different from Keltin's. Mine is sugar, vinegar, bacon and seasonings. And it's served warm.

Cool, can't wait to see it.

The one I posted came from Frank's Sister. Frank is a German friend of mine living in Hamburg. What I posted is a direct c-n-p from the email he sent me. He speaks & types very good English.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, and Frank says a "Glass" is equal to about 2 cups, but add the Miracle Whip by eye according to how moist you want it and how much you like.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This thread keeps goin and goin. I'm lovin it. Thank you all. I have never eaten much kielbasi before. I see that I have been missing a whole lot. I am cutting and pasting all this.

Thank you all again.