Hey, JoeC, be sure to tell my "friends."

The Tourist

Banned
JoeC, as you know I took a pretty good teasing by the members of another forum. You know the story, they thought that innovation and the study of Japanese history was a worthless pursuit. I was too "zen" and on the fool's errand of a "guru."

Whoops. He who laughs last.

I was doing some studying the other night--you know dry old history and tools from 800 years ago. Desiccated old Asian tomes, antique ideas, discarded tools and ideals from the ash heap of a bygone age. Ha, ha.

With nothing better to do, I unwrapped a 24 dollar Chinese "Marbles" knife I received. The bevel was a tad crooked, and I had some very serious concerns about the steel.

So I took out the tools, prepared all of my materials and began in a normal fashion. As the work progressed I interfaced modern techiniques and tools into the mix. I buffed in a new way. The bevel and the edge gleamed. Almost as an afterthought, I tickled the dragon.

I've walked this earth for almost six decades. I've seen fashion come and go, and then come again, only to go again. I've heard every lie, every promise, every Three Card Monte trick on the globe. I've learned the hard lessons of a touch of rouge, liquor and bad lighting. I've been bounced off the floor like a ping-pong ball, but then so angry I was bulletproof.

I've handled just about every knife and sword and I've seen some incredible edges. But we now have to find a new word, a new standard. I can no longer brag about an edge that is 'toasty.'

I touched this knife and scared myself.

My friends here at NC can have this edge freely. But as to the procedure, please tell the convexers and the sham friends that the info can be theirs at any time.

Just read a Japanese history book. I know I did.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will if I ever get back over there for more than a second or two. Only had a few minutes on line the last week been kind of busy with other things.

The Tourist

Banned
I agree, although I believe they still come here. A mutual friend says it's a ghost town over there. But that's my point.

The reason I like it here is that there is a real "family" sense of things. For example, I didn't see one of our members here for a few days. My first thought was that we had offended that person. I got ahold of jim_slagle and Doc.

However, my initial course when applying this new (but historically old) method of sharpening) was a smirk. The idea and tools have been right there, handed down in books of history and comments in stories as time passed.

When we at NC have a new and tasty recipe we post it, freely, and for all to see. I'd like to see that attitiude spread as the holidays advance. That spirit should be rewarded and encouraged.

As to those who don't or won't study, I found that a newer alloy/process provides kitchen knives with edge retention four times better. In addition, science is now offering blends and HT procedures that have opened the door to what only can be called uber-steels. And swept along for the ride is our "bent little man with a bucket of red mud," or our BLMBRM.

And the detractors no longer have expectation of my allegiance. If they choose to use mundane steel and old school HT, let them. Just as long as they know chefs, cooks and food hobbyists here will have better edges than their vaunted wilderness knives. A gift from history.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You have style Chico. I like the way you post. :thumb:
The new technique sounds very intriguing for sure.

The Tourist

Banned
Doc, that's the funny part. It's an old technique, and I mean hundreds of years old.

Now granted, I'm an adult, and I shouldn't take comfort in their "schadenfreude." However, to dismiss the research that JoeC, Locutus and I have done (and will continue to do) as simply self-indulgent "zen" is an insult.

After all, Ben Dale (the CEO and owner of Edge Pro) could easily spend his days lounging on a beach with a mai-tai amid hot and cold running blondes. Ben still does research. In fact, a Canadian tinker named Dwade and I regularly get prototypes. Ben even makes me "one off" components for my existing machines. Dwade has adapted Ben's scissor sharpening fitting to refurbish serrations and ice auger blades.

What does their maestro do? Where is their research and "give back" to the cutlery industry that has provided them a living?

I will bet some very serious coin that if a young chef opened his own upscale restaurant that JoeC would advise him late into the evening(s) for as long as it took to get that kitchen running. You want a butakiri sharp enough to strip silver for blocking? JoeC probably sleeps with one under his pillow.

The reason these tinkers are my friends is not just a similarity in our professions. When you hand a knife to a chef, you are holding his livelihood and future. If you can buff an edge even finer than the competition you help define that chef's signature dish for many decades.

I'm proud to be a "tinker," and that is the correct term. I repair and refine kitchen appliances and tools. It is a craft, and in many ways an art with a storied past.

I had a beautician from a salon wander into the Harley shop today, talk about a fish out of water. She had dropped her best shears putting a slight chip towards the point. Many of the styles she offers utilize "tip cutting."

I told her I could come to her salon anytime. However, she needed a tinker and she knew today was "Harley day" on my agenda. She drove across town.

I view these events as a trust. And the people I respect here would do no different.