The joke is on me.

The Tourist

Banned
Last night was Friday. My wife, her friend, myself and SIL go out to eat. However, we also return home to do chores. I do a few loads of laundry, that's my job. I decided to wash a load of denim. I emptied the pockets of the jeans I was wearing and included them in the load. That's the focus of this thread.

Recently, someone asked (accused) me of trying to become a guru. Frankly, I was stunned. Yikes, if my wife wasn't there guiding me, I'd probably live in a carboard box--I don't even carry money. Not a dime, not in a decade. My wife gives me a gasoline debit card. When it's "empty" I ask her to buy me another one.

And I don't want to be guru. Frankly it spooks me when people I don't know walk up to me in a shopping mall and ask for sharpening pricing.

Now, if you frequent sportsmen's hobbyist forums you know that periodically people post a thread called "What's in your pockets?" And it usually turns into a contest to see who has the most dangerous spec-ops tools. I never liked those guys.

So as I emptied out my jeans last night, I noticed the junk kept coming out, piece after piece! I didn't even remember jamming half of it into my pockets! I had become the very thing I hated!

When I joined here I asked Jim_Slagle if I could submit some threads about knife info I stumbled onto, and if I could bring some other pros onto the forum.

Most of what I know is gathered from empirical observation. If I say I find S30V steel better for kitchen knives than 440C it's because I sharpened and used a few, that's all. I'm a tinker, not a polisher and I don't claim those credentials.

But after looking at my pockets, it appears I need to be watched. I don't wish to become the very thing I hate. I do not wish to appear to be talking down to anyone. If you teach me hold to "fold an egg," you are teaching me, it's not a judgement. I want to do the same thing for you.

This is not a posed photo, that's the true junk:

DSC00394.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:D Heck man that would add 10 extra pounds for a fellow to carry around. .....I've done the same though (been surprised at how much I'm carrying if I unload it all at once). :D

The Tourist

Banned
Ain't it the truth. I'm even thinking of getting rid of the wallet and getting one of those thin leather folders the FBI carry with only two pockets.

For me it would be for my drivers license and gasoline debit card.

A carry a small leather business card holder for about six cards. I need some lind of knife for my persoanl life, such as it is.

And that keyring needs some major revision. I doubt I know where half of those keys fit.

Strange as it may seem, that little SureFire E1e flashlight gets the most use of any object pictured.

Locutus

Little Surefire???? :biggrin:

Now that I don't carry a billy club everyday, I've switched to a 5 cell Maglite! :D:D:D

The Tourist

Banned
Ok, what all pockets was all that stuff in????

I wear jeans. The comb and my wallet were in my back left. My hankerchief was in my back right. My front right had the Razel knife, the SureFire flashlight and little leather case of business cards. The front left had my keys, and the inhaler. The cell phone rides where there's room. The eyeglass case suffers the same fate.

The nice thing about a Harley road jacket is that there are zippered pockets all over the thing! I've carried stuff--thought I lost it--only to have the item re-surface months later zipped in an inside pocket.

Oy, and then there's a few common tools for the bike...

Locutus

The billy club was carried on the uniform duty belt. :thumb:

I'm still trying to figure out a way to carry the 5 cell Maglite unobtrusively! :confused::confused: