Re: What are you baking today?

Iced and sugared Mardi Gras Fluer di Lis cookies

MardiGras2010007.jpg

MardiGras2010008.jpg

MardiGras2010010.jpg

MardiGras2010009.jpg

FryBoy

Whipped up some mini corn muffins (24 to a tin) to go with BBQ chicken tonight. Nothing fancy -- recipe from the sweet corn muffin recipe on the Alber's Corn Meal package, which we think is pretty good:

Attachments

• Corn Muffins 2010-02-07.jpg
    Corn Muffins 2010-02-07.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 153

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Working on a new bread recipe today. Nice snowy day, nothing else happening :) Wanted to experiment on a chocolate bread. Did about 78% hydration, 10% cocoa, 10% honey and then folded in some walnuts and chocolate chunks. If it turns out, I'll post some pictures later. I'm making it with the no need process. Sure does smell good :)

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Well, it's raising nicely :)

Attachments

• P1050048.JPG
    P1050048.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 133
  • P1050052.JPG
    P1050052.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 123

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Looks great Warren. Funny about the chocolate as last night I noticed a box in my pantry I hadn't seen before. Upon closer inspection it turns out to be a 5 lb. box of Godiva dark chocolate. It seems Dawn has been holding out on me a bit, but I will find something to use it with.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

OK, here's the result. Can't cut it yet as it has to be very cool due to the chocolate chunks.. So, no idea how it tastes yet or what the crumb looks like.

web.jpg

Phiddlechik

Pizza crusts for tomorrow night; I like to prebake individual crusts. Then I'll prep everything and we can make our own pizzas. We are having company for the weekend.
Also made a key lime pie.
Not really baking, but have some white chocolate/orange infused ganache waiting in the fridge to make into truffles, will roll and then dip in melted chocolate.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Just started a King Cake for the weekend....not sure I have any babies lying around though. I may have to bake a coin in it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow, you guys are all such talented bakers! Beautiful breads, muffins and cookies!

I'm impressed and envious and hungry!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Take a bite of this sourdough no-knead. That should satisfy your urge.:mrgreen:

Sourdough No-Knead Bread in the Magnolite 5 qt. Dutch Oven.

Dropped into the blazing hot (450F) pot...

P1020532.jpg

After 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered...

P1020534.jpg

The always popular crumb shot after cooling for 3 hours...

P1020536.jpg

Nice slice with just a smidge of sweet butter...

P1020538.jpg

And another slice, but this time with a spray of EVOO and a dusting of oregano, basil and garlic powder...

P1020539.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I can almost taste it - I swear!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

That looks incredible, Joe! Is that the recipe you have been tweaking? Because I think you've got it perfected!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

It's teh same recipe I've been working with, but this time I wanted to bake it in the Magnalite 5qt stock pot to see how it would come out. It is actually going to take more time uncovered, so as to darken up the skin and make it a litle crunchier. The Magnalite lid holds the steam in so well, that 10 minutes won't cut it. i need to perfect this bread in this pot, as it will be used as a demo pot in a few weeks at the manufacturer's new showroom.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

i need to perfect this bread in this pot, as it will be used as a demo pot in a few weeks at the manufacturer's new showroom.

How cool that you get asked to do that stuff, Joe!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

About to finish the King Cake..and some valentine's cookies from the Brown Bag Cookie mould

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Working on a new bread recipe today. Nice snowy day, nothing else happening :) Wanted to experiment on a chocolate bread. Did about 78% hydration, 10% cocoa, 10% honey and then folded in some walnuts and chocolate chunks. If it turns out, I'll post some pictures later. I'm making it with the no need process. Sure does smell good :)

I have made something similar and added dried tart cherrries. It was wunderbar!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

How absolutely lovely, Vera!!

Thank you for posting all the pictures!

I am not only impressed by your skill, but by your energy! You are as busy as the rest of us, if not more so, yet you make the time and have the stamina to do all this stuff! Amazing!

Lee

vyapti

I made a loaf of Italian bread for sandwiches and some rolls. I made a biga last night and added milk to the today for a softer crumb. I've already made grilled cheeze, a cold cut sandwich and some toast and dipped a roll in potato soup. I really like this bread.

4357987881_f3dfc8dfb9.jpg

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I made a loaf of Italian bread for sandwiches and some rolls. I made a biga last night and added milk to the today for a softer crumb. I've already made grilled cheeze, a cold cut sandwich and some toast and dipped a roll in potato soup. I really like this bread.

4357987881_f3dfc8dfb9.jpg

:yum::yum: I'm laughing because I did a similar thing a few days ago. I made a sourdough no-knead that was so good that I ate over 1/4 of 2# loaf before going to bed. Between the butter, olive oil and PB&J toppings, I just could not stop eating it. It's 0617 here, and I'm mixing up another one of those so I can bake it tonight after dinner.

Your breads are presenting themselves beautifully. Keep up the good work, and remember to share your bread with someone else. That is where the true joy is in this hobby.

Vera, lovely cookies. I can almost taste them. Reminds me that I need to make up a batch of oatmeal raisin for the toaster cookie jar. :lol:

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Not to be redundant on purpose, but I like to post baked goods here because not everyone reads the dinner thread everyday where I sometimes post them. I made these mini-sticky buns yesterday, and turned the extra pieces into butter-cream frosted cinnamon rolls. The sticky buns are for the participants in a retreat that DW will be attending all day today. I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup for them as well yesterday.

P1020551.jpg

P1020549.jpg

This is their pre-baked look...

P1020547.jpg

suziquzie

Those look great Joe! I have a craving for them, but if I make them with DH gone he feels all neglected, so I better wait :)

suziquzie

Choc chip cookies now with the kiddos, later I'll make some cinnamon rolls to rise in the fridge overnight..... bake 'em fresh for DH when he gets home in the morning :D

vyapti

:yum::yum: I'm laughing because I did a similar thing a few days ago. I made a sourdough no-knead that was so good that I ate over 1/4 of 2# loaf before going to bed. Between the butter, olive oil and PB&J toppings, I just could not stop eating it. It's 0617 here, and I'm mixing up another one of those so I can bake it tonight after dinner.

Your breads are presenting themselves beautifully. Keep up the good work, and remember to share your bread with someone else. That is where the true joy is in this hobby.

Vera, lovely cookies. I can almost taste them. Reminds me that I need to make up a batch of oatmeal raisin for the toaster cookie jar. :lol:

My girls have been skeptical of my sandwich bread (which is understandable because I've made some bricks in the past). But they took a bite of toast from this loaf and immediately ran in and make toast and sandwiches for themselves. I think I'll make two loaves next weekend.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow, so perfect, Doug!

I wish I had a piece of that right now!

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.