I guess I should be pleased.....

AllenOK

My oldest stepson, Stephen, usually doesn't eat the food I cook. He's extremely picky, and only wants to eat meat (that's the Autism kicking in). Not only that, but he likes to complain about my cooking.

Now, remember the Smoke Roasted Chicken I made with JoeC's Greek Seasoning? Well, there were two leg-and-thigh quarters left last night. Stephen put them in fridge before I ever thought of it. In fact, I didn't even think to check to see if the leftovers had been saved until this morning.

I saw the chicken in the fridge, and told PeppA that Stephen is on the ball, getting the chicken put up like that. She looked at me, and told me that this morning, on his way to school, Stephen had told her that the chicken was "off-limits", and to be sure and make sure that I knew it.

Well, Stephen just came home about 15 minutes ago. He made a bee-line for the fridge, grabbed the chicken, and popped it into the microwave. While he was heating it up, I commented that he must have liked my cooking last night. He started trying to surpress a grin, and blushed a bit (he doesn't like to admit that he enjoys some of my cooking). PeppA was chuckling.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad to hear he like my seasoning but I sure wouldn't of used it with the evil Chicken. :yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
:respect:congrats are the best words i can say Allen...there is no better feeling than pleasing a picky eater and them in turn eating the leftovers...:respect:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Haha! That's great!

My wife eats like a bird, but the kids woof down whatever I put in front of them. Of course I'm always making the good stuff!

suziquzie

I hope to someday have a similar story about my middle kid.

All he'll eat is veggies or meat that has no sauce or gravy. No mashed potatoes.

I think I got the wrong baby at the hospital.

FryBoy

I hope to someday have a similar story about my middle kid.

All he'll eat is veggies or meat that has no sauce or gravy. No mashed potatoes.

I think I got the wrong baby at the hospital.
When I was a kid all I would eat was hot dogs! I eventually added hamburgers to my menu, although I recall having a major hissie-fit during a company BBQ dinner because my dad put the mustard on the top bun instead of the bottom. I grew out of it, and then some. :pig:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
My sister, as a young child ate chicken, scrambled egg and peanut butter and not a lot else. My grandma once threatened her with no ice cream if she did not eat her dinner - her answer, she wouldn't eat it any way.

lilylove

My problem was just the opposite... David would eat EVERYTHING. Smoked oysters, steamed clams, expensive steak... we used to tell him that it was grown up food so he wouldn't like it so much. Didn't work lol.

chowhound

Very nice story, Allen. Even though the comp didn't come directly, I'm sure it made you feel good. And that was some tasty looking chicken anyway!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My problem was just the opposite... David would eat EVERYTHING. Smoked oysters, steamed clams, expensive steak... we used to tell him that it was grown up food so he wouldn't like it so much. Didn't work lol.

My oldest son and second oldest where like that, if they could get a fork into it they will eat it. My last two kids were pickier but not by much but had some strange tastes. My youngest son would take sticks of butter and eat them just like a pickle. My daughter on the other hand loved hell hot foods from her first bite of it. She actually rivaled my wife in that department. It just never bothered her at all. They all where great eater though so I never had any complaints with them however my grand kids I won't even discuss, they would all stave to death with out the usual fast foods.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
One of my kids was the weirdest eater as a young kid. He wouldn't eat anything that had touched anything else - not so weird. But he also needed a separate fork or spoon for each thing on the plate. And he wouldn't drink anything he didn't see you pour. Otherwise he was sure someone had taken a drink out of it. I swear, I was really worried.

I had nightmares about him becoming a scary, Howard Hughes kind of guy. But I went along with it because he just wouldn't eat otherwise and he was/is a very thin guy.

Thank heavens, he totally outgrew all of it and now he eats anything and everything. (Plus I caught him kissing his GF so I guess he's over the germs thing, too.)

Love2"Q"

One of my kids was the weirdest eater as a young kid. He wouldn't eat anything that had touched anything else - not so weird. But he also needed a separate fork or spoon for each thing on the plate. And he wouldn't drink anything he didn't see you pour. Otherwise he was sure someone had taken a drink out of it. I swear, I was really worried.

I had nightmares about him becoming a scary, Howard Hughes kind of guy. But I went along with it because he just wouldn't eat otherwise and he was/is a very thin guy.

Thank heavens, he totally outgrew all of it and now he eats anything and everything. (Plus I caught him kissing his GF so I guess he's over the germs thing, too.)

my son who is 7 has is the exact same way .. for the longest time he would not eat anything that was not out of a bag from the freezer ..
chicken nuggets, frozen meat balls and the like ..
now .. since i took him to a bbq cook off a couple years back ..
he will eat anything as long as it comes off the grill .. so on sunday
i cook enough to feed him for a week ..
but he still needs a seperate fork for everything ..

FryBoy

My father once got pretty mad about the eating thing and insisted that I take a bite of beets, the usual canned, stringy kind, which he thought to be actual food. Projectile vomiting put an end to that rather quickly! Beets are still about the only thing that I cannot get past my lips.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
my son who is 7 has is the exact same way .. for the longest time he would not eat anything that was not out of a bag from the freezer ..
chicken nuggets, frozen meat balls and the like ..
now .. since i took him to a bbq cook off a couple years back ..
he will eat anything as long as it comes off the grill .. so on sunday
i cook enough to feed him for a week ..
but he still needs a seperate fork for everything ..
Thank you for telling me that. I never knew another kid that needed the separate utensils. The good news is he will outgrow it!:wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My father once got pretty mad about the eating thing and insisted that I take a bite of beets, the usual canned, stringy kind, which he thought to be actual food. Projectile vomiting put an end to that rather quickly! Beets are still about the only thing that I cannot get past my lips.

I once got mad at my oldest son about eating, he was about 4 or 5. Well to make a long story short being a union sheet metal worker at around the end of November I was out of work as most where. He started crying he wanted apple sauce so I got tired of hearing it so I took my last bit of change and went to the store to buy the kid his apple sauce. Well my wife put it into a bowl an gave it to him only to have him push it away as he didn't want it then. At that moment my temper flashed and he wore that bowl of apple sauce on his head for the next 30 minutes screaming like I killed him. The funny thing is after that he ate what was put in front of him and only asked for something if asked. One thing I never did was force my kids to eat something they didn't like but if they asked for it then they ate it period.

suziquzie

I made spinach last night....
AND THEY ATE IT!!!!! Only because they thought they would get instant Popeye muscles, but whatever works, right?

Well the boys did, legogirl for some reason is in a phase where she wont eat fruit or veggies......

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My oldest son enjoys healthy food but spicy.
My second son is a junk foodie, he prefers to eat fast food.
My daughter, my third child, enjoys both healthy and junk.
My youngest son is preferably of junk food, but when he goes out to eat at a restraunt he will order a big plate of mashed potatoes and gravy and that's it. Hmmm!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
And my grandchildren, they like to be picky only i don't tolerate that kind of behavior from them. When they tell me they don't like something i fixed i just sit across the table from them and stare them down and they chow down. lol

AllenOK

Lifesaver, tell them it's squirrel gumbo, then do the staring trick. Make sure to have a video camera somewhere to catch them squirming.

I love a good practical joke.