Rants and Raves thread

cookingirl

Mama. thanks for all the kindness..
Sorry, I should not have posted here. My dad is 90 yrs old--I am so lucky to him around. I am an only child--so I rant! and Whine..sorry...
He has had knee problems for many years...Didn't have surgery before vcuz he/we were taking care of my mom..Now his heart is so bad that he cannot have any surgery at all..He is a sweetie! His mind is sharper than mine--just his body...and he lives with me! sorry---
I won't post and burden you all with all the details...I feel bd for doing that--I was just at a weak moment:sad:
I am ok now--just have to take one step/moment at a time..
Thanks again Mama and everyone else for all your patience....:bonk:

cyn

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh cyn, please don't stop posting about your daddy. We all have crosses to bear and sometimes they get to be pretty heavy. Sometimes it helps to lighten the load a little just by talking about it so please, don't keep it bottled up.

I took care of my own daddy for several years until I couldn't any longer because he was having mini strokes. I worked outside the house back then and couldn't afford to quit. The doctors thought it would be better for him to have round the clock care so I had to put him in a nursing home...that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama. thanks for all the kindness..
Sorry, I should not have posted here. My dad is 90 yrs old--I am so lucky to him around. I am an only child--so I rant! and Whine..sorry...
He has had knee problems for many years...Didn't have surgery before vcuz he/we were taking care of my mom..Now his heart is so bad that he cannot have any surgery at all..He is a sweetie! His mind is sharper than mine--just his body...and he lives with me! sorry---
I won't post and burden you all with all the details...I feel bd for doing that--I was just at a weak moment:sad:
I am ok now--just have to take one step/moment at a time..
Thanks again Mama and everyone else for all your patience....:bonk:

cyn
Please don't feel that way Cyn. Share the load anytime you feel the need. It helps and that is what this thread is here for. Best of luck with your dad. 90! :eek: That is awesome. Most of us guys don't make it that long. My dad passed at 72. :(

Keltin, uggg. That would be a nasty experience. And you are probably right, doggies are curious and can't help but go check em out no matter if it's skunks or cats etc. Our Dane was snapping at bumble bees. Thank goodness she did not catch one. She hasn't a clue what she is trying to catch and would sure be sorry if she caught it. :bonk:

Leni

It's okay Cyn. Many of us including myself have posted here about problems they have. My 45 year old disabled daughter lives with us and goes to day care. In her case it is memory and just the way her mind works. You are fortunate that Dads mind is still sharp.

I just hope that Cricket has learned his lesson. We'll see.

cookingirl

Mama, Doc , Leni and everyone else,
Thanks for the support--I was really venting...I appreciate your support!! :thankyou:
This is site is really full of caring people!
I am better now..It just hit me the wrong way before...:sorry:
:wub:
Cyn

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Mama, Doc , Leni and everyone else,
Thanks for the support--I was really venting...I appreciate your support!! :thankyou:
This is site is really full of caring people!
I am better now..It just hit me the wrong way before...:sorry:
:wub:
Cyn
XOXOXOXOXOXO This is the place to vent and rant. Let it out and you will feel much better and maybe find that someone else is dealing with the same thing and then it makes you BOTH feel better knowing you are not alone. Big hugs sweets!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Why can't people get out of their car and walk up to the door? Some idiot pulled up in the neighbors driveway and they've been blowing the horn every few seconds trying to get them to come out. My goodness...how much effort does it take?

Carolina Cooking

Why can't people get out of their car and walk up to the door? Some idiot pulled up in the neighbors driveway and they've been blowing the horn every few seconds trying to get them to come out. My goodness...how much effort does it take?

AND they have such loud headbanging thump your walls god awful music going on. The car is even jumping .

:bangin::boxing::censored:

I want to go out & cuss someone out.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

You should have gone out and walked over to the car, and asked them if they needed assistance to the front door. LOL
Yes Mama, that is annoying when people do that.. grrrr

Leni

It's very poor manners to do that. Point of revenge if you're into that---with 'music' that loud they have already lost some of their hearing. Keep it up kids and you won't have any.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, we have a few nearby that beep like that & make my windows & floors vibrate w/ thier music & that, often. more annoying is the knocking that may eventually ensue, as if we don't know by now the 'special & individual' knocks of various people & we're baffled by whom this may be @ 2:00, then 4, then 5:30, then 6am, then 7:12 am????? for goodness sake! annoying!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, & leni, i play janis, sarah, the beatles, phish, floyd on hi volume. w/ my windows open. it works quite well; the noise quickly, i've recently noticed, quickly dissipates.

Wart

Banned
Happy Memorial Day.

That rubs me the wrong way.

Memorial Day is the day to remember and honor those who died in service to this country.

I'm afraid people have lost sight of this.

Instead they treat the Day as though it's just another Happy Assed Holiday, a day off and an excuse to have party.

Memorial day isn't a day to prance about waving the flag and saying how great we are,

Memorial day is the day to quietly look at the flag and reflect upon the human cost of keeping the Flag flying.

I'll have a grateful Memorial Day.

By no frigging means will I have a "Happy Memorial Day".

cookingirl

Wart, I agree with you. Memorial Day, to most people, means a cook-out--parties, drinks, opening pools, etc...However, the real meaning seems to be lost.. it is a day to remember our Veterans!!! and especially those who willingly gave their lives for us...This message has unfortuately been lost..The older I become, the more I appreciate these men and women..
I work in Boston and yesterday, during lunch, I walked over to the Boston Commons. They had a display of flags, of lost service members..unbelievable......I got so choked up--tears in my eyes.....and a few memorials were attached to some of the flags..so many people were visiting and paying their respects...We need more of these tributes to keep us remembering our service men and women....:respect:
My neighbors son, just graduated from high school and he is going into the marines in a few weeks...my other neighbor is in the national guard..I get tears in my eyes when I see them...I just want to hug them and thank them.....
ok---enough of this
on with the week end...:bounce:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just another opinion. I am a veteran. I am here to tell about it. I and all Americans should indeed take this opportunity to remember those that have given their life for our country.

I can remember them at a BBQ and thank their memory that I can have friends over for that BBQ, which would not be possible in some other countries.

My ire is directed at the business of thsi country that have made this and EVERY HOLIDAY a sale day.

Carolina Cooking

My ire is directed at the business of thsi country that have made this and EVERY HOLIDAY a sale day.

I have a huge issue with this too. I was already pissed off by 6:30am this morning & it still is going on. In my inbox . Mail after mail SALE SALE. I bet I have 35 so far. My Sat paper is a flat nothing paper, this morning it must weigh 5lbs. Full of store sale ad's. :sad: :sad:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i would like to celebrate in honor of the veterans- why would many of them wanna see us sad instead of celebrating the lives we've got in part, due to them? my opinion

Wart

Banned
i would like to celebrate in honor of the veterans- why would many of them wanna see us sad instead of celebrating the lives we've got in part, due to them? my opinion

My point is showing Respect for their sacrifice.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
My point is showing Respect for their sacrifice.
my Pap was a drill sergant for @ least 2 wars- now, he would get so upset when i was sad, so i'm gonna shamelessly be smiling as if he saw me sad, he'd be upset, too......., i prefer to look towards him & say, 'hi, Pap, thanks; i luv you i miss your presence, though i know you're waltzing w/ Gramma, & rest well tonite, Pap.'
now, that, to me, is respect. not wallowing, rather celebration in thier honor. plain/simple

Wart

Banned
I have had occasion to remark to myself,

If not for the grace of God or the kindness of others, There go I.

//

There is a science of giving.

In (real) short, 'giving' releases 'pleasure hormones'.

The academic in me wonders how much a role this could be playing in this situation.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've read through every post on the subject of Memorial Day. Wart is expressing what the holiday means to him. Luvs, it's nice that you recall your Gramps in such a loving manner. From what I see, Wart has done or said nothing rude or disrespectful to that memory. He's merely participating in a conversation about the holiday, not about your Grandfather.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I've read through every post on the subject of Memorial Day. Wart is expressing what the holiday means to him. Luvs, it's nice that you recall your Gramps in such a loving manner. From what I see, Wart has done or said nothing rude or disrespectful to that memory. He's merely participating in a conversation about the holiday, not about your Grandfather.

so be it. i'm still dabbing my eyes. i luved & respected him so much & losing him was devestating to us. heartcrushing. weeping, sadness abound. so even maybe a mild jab is taken seriously. & to me, that jab was not mild. this is why i often consider leaving these forums. people don't understand how thier remarks can affect other people
the church-bells rang as i read your post, vera. i suppose maybe Pap is saying 'hi' to me

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, I interpreted Wart's post to mean that when one gives to another, there is a hormonal change to the body, a release of endorphins maybe, that gives a sense of pleasure and well-being to the giver.

In other words, giving to others makes people feel better.

That's all it is, luvs - nothing derogatory.

Lee

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
'kay, thanx lee. i'm going to visit some friends so i should probably return later maybe.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Luvs, sweetie, I know how you feel and believe me, it's very easy to misinterpret words online when you don't personally know a person or see their body language. To better understand Wart's peeve, he doesn't mean people that celebrate the men and woman by cooking out or having a party. More towards the ones that ONLY have the parties and sales at stores just because it's a holiday without any regard for what Memorial Day is suppose to be about at all. They make any holiday a reason to drink and party.