Any one got a TNT recipe for mole sauce.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
My son wants to cook a savoury dish containing chocolate. I was thinking mole sauce but any other ideas. I have looked at the IC challenge but none of those would do for him.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a chile recipe using Mexican chocolate with chile peppers in the chocolate. It is as follows and I might add is the best chile I've ever had though no beans for you bean lovers in chili.

Chili Recipe

Ingredients:
Chili Seasoning
3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn meal)
1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Grated queso fresco, for garnish (cheese)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.
Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh and this is the brand I buy which has chili peppers mixed into the chocolate.

Attachments

• Ibarra Mexican Chocolate.jpg
    Ibarra Mexican Chocolate.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 141

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for your suggestions. Joe that looks great - however a bit beyond a 14 year old I think.

We went with a beef, beer & chocolate stew which was very nice - quite a bitter edge to it but not unpleasant,

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes there are a lot of ingredients in that but then Bayless said it took him 24 years to come up with this, "his best mole sauce". The judges and tasters thought so too in that it blew them away and that is why he won.

Glad you came up with something you liked Ray.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for your suggestions. Joe that looks great - however a bit beyond a 14 year old I think.

We went with a beef, beer & chocolate stew which was very nice - quite a bitter edge to it but not unpleasant,

Mmmmm! Could you post the recipe and pictures, Ray?

That sounds really interesting!

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
The link is posted in the dinner thread for today. I have got a piccie I'll post later.