Babcia's Paczki (Polish Doughnuts)

homecook

This is the last dessert we would eat on Fat Tuesday before Lent started.

1 pkg. yeast
2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
4 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1/4 lb. butter, melted
5 cups sifted all purpose flour
Grated rind of 1/2 orange or lemon

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk in large bowl. Add 2 cups flour. Let rise in warm place 30 minutes. Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla, grated rind and salt until light. Add to sponge together with melted butter. Mix in 5 cups flour. Beat with wooden spoon or hand until dough is elastic and leaves sides of bowl. Cover and let rise 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Turn out on floured board. Pat with floured hands to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into small circles and let rise again until light. Fry in deep hot fat and drain on absorbent paper. Dust with granulated sugar.

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
are these the giant, led weighted doughnuts that ronjohn has talked about? prounounced punch-kee? hey where is the ol' alky?

if so, he mentioned that they were made on the thursday before lent. it's probably a blending of cultures.

no matter, it's doughnuts!!!!!:a1: thanks homey.

homecook

are these the giant, led weighted doughnuts that ronjohn has talked about? prounounced punch-kee? hey where is the ol' alky?

if so, he mentioned that they were made on the thursday before lent. it's probably a blending of cultures.

no matter, it's doughnuts!!!!!:a1: thanks homey.

Yeah bucky, that's how you pronounce them. These aren't too heavy though. At least I don't think so. lol
We make them on the Tuesday before Lent (which starts on Ash Wednesday) as the last dessert before Easter.
You're welcome!

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
actually, after looking at your recipe, i realized that the paczki were unfilled.

i think ronjohn mentioned that the 4 pounders were jammed with jelly or lekvar.

either way, i want a doughnut!

homecook

actually, after looking at your recipe, i realized that the paczki were unfilled.

i think ronjohn mentioned that the 4 pounders were jammed with jelly or lekvar.

either way, i want a doughnut!

In our Polish family we don't fill them. I know some people do. We could eat more without the filling!! lol It's all good.

Barb

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for posting your families' version--it sounds fantastic with the edition of the orange or lemon rind. The one I posted is a filled paczki. You taught me something new. I thought all paczki were filled.

homecook

I'll be making these again this Tuesday. It's been tradition that we don't fill them. A co-worker loves custard filling and I was going to give it a try and fill some with custard.

Now my problem......I've never made custard and wondered if anyone has a good recipe I could try??

Attachments

• 102_3172.jpg
    102_3172.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 983
Last edited: