Scalloped Potatoes

8 medium potatoes sliced thin
1 medium onion sliced thin and separated into rings
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 stick butter
salt/pepper
milk

Grease a casserole dish and apply a layer of potatoes to completely cover the bottom. place some of the onion rings on top. Season with salt and pepper and add about 3-4 t. of butter dollops. Add two large spoonfuls of the mushroom soup and the cheddar cheese soup. Continue layering until casserole dish if full. Pour milk over top until you just see it at the top of the dish. You don't want to overfill or you will have a mess in your oven. I usually place the casserole dish onto a jelly roll pan so it won't make a mess. This is usually lined with foil. Bake at 375 for approximately 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. TIPS: if you use a mandolin to slice your onions and potatoes if will save a lot of time, just be careful that you don't slice a finger off, those things are sharp!!! DOC has helped me assemble this many times and if he can do it anyone can!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, the truth hurts!
Boy are they ever good. Best scalloped potatoes ever!!!!!! ummmmm they sure go good with ham. :D I think this is one of Abby's grandma's recipes. A keeper for sure. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

LADawg

When my wife and I got married 50, every so many years ago, (It was December 31, 1958, so you figure it up) my Mother gave me a little paper bound cookbook. It was printed by the US Department of Agriculture during the heart of the Great Depression and contained recipes that were very simple and inexpensive to make. One of those recipes was for scalloped potatoes. I have made these hundreds of times and they are always good.
Over the years I have collected other scalloped potatoes with added ingredients such as cheese, onions and other things, but I always seem to go back to this basic recipe.

SCALLOPED POTATOES

3 Medium Potatoes
1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons Butter
3/4 Cup Milk
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Peel potatoes and slice into thin rounds. Place half of the potatoes in a greased glass baking bowl. Sprinkle with half the flour and dot with half the butter. Sprinkle with Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. Repeat with the other half of the ingredients and again sprinkle with Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. Pour the Milk over the top. Cover and bake at 350° oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to cook for another 20 to 25 minutes. During this time you need to check the potatoes from time to time and add a little more Milk if needed.

Johnny West

My brother request I send him a special scalloped potato recipe from our home town cookbook ca. 1970. Here it is.

These look easy enough....

Scalloped Potatoes

Melt:

3 T. butter

Add:

2 T. flour
2.5 tsp. salt
3 C. milk

Cook, then add 6 thinly sliced potatoes.

Cover and simmer 7 minutes. Place in 8x12" pan, bake uncovered at 375 degrees F. about 1 hour or more.

Mrs. L. G. Gitchell

Mrs Gitchell is the mother-in-law of General Horner, USAF and commander of the air war Desert Storm. His wife was one one of my swimming instructors as a kid, and taught me how to swim.