My tomatoes have the "nipple gene"!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Evidently.

I was given some Ultra Sweet tomato plants by a friend, and they are growing with nipples!

I didn't know if I should be concerned, so I Googled and found this on a gardening website:

"Ultra Sweet:
An early medium sized (10oz/280 g) red beefsteak type. Firm, crack resistant fuit have an outstanding balance of sugar/acids that results in excellent flavour. For best results, stake plants.
This tomato is from Japan. The male parent is a pink tomato. It has less acid and has the 'nipple gene' (the bottom of the tomato has a point) This reduces but does not eliminate bottom end rot.
My thoughts: Love this tomato!! We have Ultra Sweet tomato in our garden & it is performing extremely well even in this wet summer!! - Great"

Guess they will be okay. I'll report back when they are ripe.

Lee

Attachments

• Tomatoes with nipples.JPG
    Tomatoes with nipples.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,084

homecook

That's really fascinating Lee. I've never see or heard of that. Are they a red or yellow tomato? I will now have to go out and look at my maters. lol I never really paid attention. Thanks for the info.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never see or heard of that. Are they a red or yellow tomato? I will now have to go out and look at my maters.

I've never heard of it either, Barb, and it's my third year growing this variety, "Ultra Sweet".

Usually, they are perfectly round.

They will be red. I hope!

Lee

loboloco

We grow better boys and pink girls. For some strange reason, ours are growing 'horns'. Have to admit, yours are cuter.