Mexican Chorizo

AllenOK

Ok, we've all mentioned Chorizo several times now. This is the absolute BEST I've ever had, for Mexican Chorizo. It may not be strictly "authentic", since it calls for red wine vinegar, instead of white vinegar.

If you make this completely from scratch, and go so far as to get a pork butt to grind into sausage, Chef Polcyn directs the user to place all the grinding equipment into a feezer, as well as the meat. You only want to meat to get so cold that it "just starts to freeze", or has a slight crust on it. Personally, I plan on cheating, and will just buy some unseasoned ground pork and use that.

Mexican Chorizo
Yields: ~ 5# / 2.25 Kg sausage; ~ 20 6” / 15 cm links
From: “Charcuterie”, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn, ISBN 0-393-05829-8
Delivered by: Loppraine on DC

5 # / 2.25 Kg boneless pork shoulder butt, diced
1 ½ oz (3 Tbsp)/ 40 g Kosher salt
2 T / 16 g ancho chili powder ( see note)
1 T / 8 g hot paprika
1 T / 8 g chipotle powder ( see note below) or cayenne powder
1 T / 18 g minced garlic
1 t / 3 g freshly ground black pepper
1 T / 6 g chopped fresh oregano )
-or- 1 t / 0.5 g dried oregano
½ t / 1.5 g ground cumin
3 T / 45 mL tequila, chilled
3 T / 45 mL red wine vinegar, chilled
10 ft / 3 M hog casings, soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed

Combine all the ingredients except the tequila and vinegar and toss to distribute the seasonings. Chill until ready to grind.
Grind the mixture through the small die into a bowl set in ice. (see Note 2 below).
Add the tequila and vinegar to the meat mixture and mix with the paddle attachment (or a sturdy spoon)until the liquids are incorporated and the mixture has developed a uniform, sticky appearance, about 1 minute on medium speed.
Saute a small portion of the sausage, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
If desired: stuff into the hog casings and twist into 6” / 15 cm links. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook.
If using links, gently saute or roast to an internal temperature of 150°F / 65°C. If using loose, saute until cooked through.
Note 1: Generic chili powder can be used, but ancho chilies (dried poblanos) have a distinctive sweet, spicy flavor. These chili powders can be found at supermarkets, at specialty stores, and through mail order.
To make your own powder, roast the dried chiles in a 300°F / 150°C oven, until they are very hard and dry, about 15 minutes. Allow them to cool to room temperature, then break them open, discard the seeds and stems, and pulverize in a coffee or spice grinder.
Note 2; See pages 107 - 116 for a detailed description of the basic grinding, mixing, stuffing, and cooking techniques.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thank you for this recipe... we have tried so many and cant get it to taste like we want it...

yours looks very good..

Calicolady

I don't make mine. I get it from a local cuban market where they make it.
It is dried and hard like stick pepperoni. I still have to be true to my italian heritage in my preference, but it's a close second.

But I see you say Mexican. What is Mexican? Does it originate from Mexico?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
It is dried and hard like stick pepperoni. I still have to be true to my italian heritage in my preference, but it's a close second.

But I see you say Mexican. What is Mexican? Does it originate from Mexico?

its just a regional thing... there is so many different kinds

i will post the link i have of the difference as soon as i find...i have CRS today

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
It is dried and hard like stick pepperoni.quote]

Most chorizo that you would buy in stores has been cured, but “fresh” chorizo, which is softer is also available.

in the USA, many people are familiar with the Mexican or Caribbean chorizo, both of which are very different from the Spanish chorizo in both taste, texture and appearance. Mexican or Caribbean varieties cannot be used as substitutes for Spanish chorizo in Spanish recipes. If you need a substitute, try using Portuguese Linguica sausage, which is generally very similar to Spanish chorizo.

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/spanishfoodfaqs/f/faqchorizo.htm

http://mediterraneancuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/chorizo