Battered and fried whole baby potatoes!!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
YUM!! Trader Joe's sells net bags of potatoes labeled "teeny tiny" potatoes. I used them in stew and they are great. I bet they would be great for this dish as they are bite sized. No bigger than a marbel.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
YUM!! Trader Joe's sells net bags of potatoes labeled "teeny tiny" potatoes. I used them in stew and they are great. I bet they would be great for this dish as they are bite sized. No bigger than a marbel.

Excellent idea, Peep!

And I have a small gift certificate to TJ's that's burning a hole in my pocket!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Keltin ... THAT looks absolutely incredibly easy and delicious!!

I'm going to do THAT one, too!!

Lee

QuirkyCookery

Oh yum, I could go for some of those. I wonder if you used the teeny tiny ones mentioned above, if you could just skip the boiling process altogether like you would with normal cut french fries.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh yum, I could go for some of those. I wonder if you used the teeny tiny ones mentioned above, if you could just skip the boiling process altogether like you would with normal cut french fries.

No, I don't think so. The batter will be done (fried) in about 10-15 minutes, maybe less, and that wouldn't be long enough to completely cook those potatoes even though they are small.

If you didn't batter them, you could just fry them whole for as long as it takes. Hmmmm......I wonder how that would be? Think I might try that soon! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made these tonight! Thanks Lee!

Turns out, I had some Sazon Goya in the spice rack! Lucky day! I think mine might be different from their’s since they had “with azafran” and mine was with (“con” in Spanish means “with”, "y" means and) other things. I think “Sazon Goya” might be a brand/product name?

Mine (the Sazon Goya spice pack) turned the batter a bright orange, and DW remarked it looked like cheese dip. :lol:

IMHO, the batter recipe, as written, is entirely too thin. I even added a little extra flour (just under a 1/4 cup) and it was still very thin. It was hard to get it to cling to the potatoes, and you had to sit over the hot grease rolling the potatoes in this mix and then hurriedly drop them in and hope enough batter stuck.

This led to a LOT of drippings and “crunchies” that formed as the very liquid batter rolled off my hands into the oil. But hey, I love crunchies!

The seasoning was a bit off. Even though that Sazon Goya turned everything a color, there wasn’t a lot of flavor. I’d suggest a good dose of salt (that you can do after they fry) and some pepper. Maybe some chile powder as well.

The batter, once it fried, was doughy like a pancake, and not crispy like fried chicken, so keep that in mind.

All in all, these were fun. I’ll make them again, but next time, I’ll use a very dry batter. Probably an egg & milk bath then onto a roll in flour for a dry and crispy crust instead of the soft and soggy dough crust this recipe produced. But, looking closely at the pics of the battered and fried potatoes in the original recipe, their crust and mine seem the same. I can tell their’s was doughy as well, so maybe that is part of it?

These potatoes really remind me of potato wedges. So if you’ve ever had battered potato wedges, then you pretty much know what these are about. Except these are cute, small, and round! :biggrin:

I’ve got about a half bag of these baby potatoes left, so I think I’ll fry them naked tomorrow and see what happens!

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 292
  • abb1.jpg
    abb1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 300
  • abb2.jpg
    abb2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 300
  • abb3.jpg
    abb3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 287
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 302
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 289
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 303
  • ach3.jpg
    ach3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 289

Carolina Cooking

you are so good at giving directions. :thumb::thumb:

I am wondering if you skip right to a beer batter type. That you use for chx & fish. Or even a tempura. I know one thing I am trying it :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, those look SPECTACULAR!!!

Thanks for posting!

Did you have any trouble knowing when the potatoes were tender?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, those look SPECTACULAR!!!

Thanks for posting!

Did you have any trouble knowing when the potatoes were tender?

Lee

No, not really. Like the recipe said, just boil them for about 15 minutes. After that time, I poked one with a bamboo skewer, and it was tender. I drained them and put them in cold water to cool a bit, then off to the fryer they went! :thumb:

They were good and really fun to eat. What a neat little side dish, and a great break from the usual potato dish. Thanks for posting it!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
YUMMY looking but I think I am with you on the wanting a more crunchy crust. The Annatto is probably what gave it the yellow/orange color. They look beautiful. Good job.