Buffalo Potato Wedges

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh Keltin!
Those came out beautiful!

As for the green can, I use two different ones--

The dry powdery type is for spaghetti (sometimes) popcorn ALWAYS, with some butter and garlic powder, it's even fantastic sprinkled in vegetable soup!

parm1.jpg

This type is reserved strictly for pasta dishes and to sprinkle on garlic bread/toast... and stays in the fridge.

shredded parm.jpg

Carolina Cooking

I'm glad y'all liked it Keltin. I dip mine in ranch too.

You can get blocks of Parm near the deli in Publix. Not sure about Wal-Mart...I don't buy anything perishable from Wal-Mart anymore. They're bad about letting anything refrigerated/frozen sit out for longer than it should before putting in the cases. I've bought lunch meat from the deli more that once that was spoiled when they sold it to me. I was NOT a happy camper when I opened the package. Live and learn. As for storage: Parmigiano-Reggiano Storing Information

I could have written this.. :applause:I have learned by trail & error what to buy at WM & what not to buy. The only thing I buy in the fruit/veg area is Bananas . Honeycrisp apples .

I ate some fried chx someone else got there. :yuk: That goes double for the fresh pizza .. I bought one tasteless ham. Then one tasteless turkey.. I think thier meat is way OVER priced I don' t buy it..I bypass the deli & the bakery..

Coffee 8oclock beans when I run out of my stash, its still a great buy. eggs sometimes, stale bread for croutons, Rice. Some canned stuff like beans for chili. Or canned soup. BBQ sauce. asian stuff is always a great buy. I now check prices on canned /bottles items all the time now. I was buying artichokes @ $5. a can of the same brand @WM $2.

You really need to check & know your prices. They had TIDE for $11. its $8 at Publix. Charmin is $10 @WM its $6.99 & $4.99 on sale @ Publix.

I would have never thought to buy any WM brand frozen Tators till Nancy told me about them.

Just becuz they say its cheaper to shop there, check your prices... Its not always true..

Oh & about the cheese in Publix, thats where mine is too. right up by the deli. $22.lb I saw some Boars head for $18.99lb. I could have got a finger size one, (lol) but I just don't need it. I have bought Publix brand already shredded fresh . Its nothing to write home about. I gues s its about what fit's your needs.

Last edited:

GotGarlic

Nothing against the fresh stuff either!

We don’t eat a lot of Parm. Maybe twice a month, and that is considered heavy usage! :w00t:

How long does a “fresh” wedge of parm last? Where do you buy it? I don’t see it at Publix or Wal-Mart?

The Green Can is everywhere, and it lasts for months. Some say you can pass a can on to your grandchildren! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Considering we only use a small bit once to twice a month, how long does a fresh block last? If it can go the distance of say 6 months in the fridge, it might be worth it to buy a fresh block, but if it goes south in 1-2 months, we’d be wasting money. Any ideas?

I buy it online from D'Italia: Parmigiano Reggiano (aged 24 months) - 1 lb $17.99/pound.

It's an aged cheese, not a fresh cheese, so it will last for years; I do keep it in the fridge, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. Cook's Illustrated says to wrap it in parchment paper, then put it in an open plastic bag, to prevent moisture from forming on the surface. Once the cheese is used, I keep the rinds in a freezer bag in the freezer and drop them into soups and stews. Give them a lovely rounded flavor. btw, domestic Parm is not aged as long as the imported cheese, which is one reason why it costs less.

Once you have some, you might find yourself finding new uses for it. Once the tomatoes and basil come in during the summer, I make bruschetta with homemade pesto practically every day - toasted baguette topped with pesto, chopped tomatoes and sprinkled with more Parm. My pesto recipe calls for 1/2 cup grated Parm.

I grew up on the green can, too, but once I tasted imported Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, there was no going back for me. YMMV.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, I buy the big block at Costco - about 1 1/2 pounds - and it lasts me a few months. It's $10.49 per pound, and is real imported Parmigiano-Reggiano. I think I buy it 2 or 3 times a year. But you can get the 8 oz wedge at Publix in the deli cheese section. I think they carry both BelGoioso & Boars Head brands. I'm not sure what size the can is, but you should be OK with storage for several months.

Many people actually prefer the Kraft cheese. It tastes saltier, but doesn't have quite as much 'bite'. As much fun as it is to take pot-shots at the can, in reality, it's still real cheese (at least the Kraft product is - some of the off brands do use filler - read the label). The big difference is in the aging. The big blocks of Parm from Italy are aged a couple years. The Kraft cheese is aged several months - less than a year. It's during that aging process that Parm-Reg develops its flavor. So the cheese in the green can is pretty much the same ingredients, just much milder.

The other thing that affects the flavor is the size of the grating. The best way to taste the flavor is to slice off a sliver of the cheese. Often, restaurants use something like a potato peeler to makes slivers of cheese for the top of a dish. If you look closely you'll see little white crystals in the cheese, which developed during the aging process. As these explode in your mouth, they release bursts of flavor. The finer the grating, the less of these crystals remain to burst on your tongue. Since cheese in a shaker can is grated almost to a powder, the crystals are pretty much non-existent.

So as much fun as it is to poke fun at the green can, it's still real parmesan cheese. It's just milder in flavor. And because the sharpness isn't so dominant, the saltiness comes forward more. It's really just a degree of flavor & convenience. As with any cheese, people like different degrees of sharpness.

Sometimes, we just like what we're used to. I only buy real maple syrup. I lived in Canada for 7 years, and it was much more readily available & not as expensive. I got used to it. I don't like 'pancake syrup'. But when relatives visited with their kids, and I made french toast, none of the kids would eat it. I had to quickly borrow some pancake syrup from a neighbor.

Try one wedge, and see for yourself which you prefer. Like Mama said, you may find you use both, but for different things. It's all good cooking......

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama and Keltin, both of your potato wedges look great to me!

I hate the mess of frying stuff, and I always feel guilty whenever I eat fried foods, so I will definitely be trying this version!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
For an Alfredo sauce, the green can would never work for me, only the block for this. On the other hand, I like parmesan cheese in my Campbell's tomato soup (a childhood favorite) but nothing works better than the green can for this IMHO, I tried using the block once and it melted and stuck to the spoon...it just wasn't the same. :sad:

GotGarlic

Keltin, I buy the big block at Costco - about 1 1/2 pounds - and it lasts me a few months. It's $10.49 per pound, and is real imported Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Good to know! I'm going to check BJ's to see if they have a good price on it, too.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's a great price SS. I'll have to look for it next time I'm there.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.............................:oops:

I wasn’t going to post these because I screwed up……but that is part of it right. So what the hey. We all have those nights right? Seriously.....it's not just me right???? :lol:

I modified the recipe to used only three potatoes and 3/4 potato flakes (all I had in the flakes, we were low). I didn’t get the Tony’s Seasoning amount right for the adjustment, so the color was a bit off, and they needed a little salt. But the Parm flavor came through perfectly!

I screwed up on the first blanch. I put a load in the water, then went off and got distracted. Next thing I know, the wedges were boiled to mash! Crap! :pat:

Started over with a new batch, and used the first batch for beef hash at breakfast.

Finally got the wedges right, but FORGOT to coat them in oil!! :pat:

I put them in a bowl of cool water after the blanch, and then coated them in the mix with water only. This affected my browning, but I still got a tasty and crispy crust.

Just one of those nights! :pat:

Thanks for the recipe Mama! I’ll get her right next time, but so far, even screwing it up tasted great!! I liked the crust, it just didn't brown right for the pics since I fluffed the oil. Ooops. But, it WAS crunchy and tasty! My pics just don't match yours. Still good though. :thumb:

:hide:

OH LORD THEY LOOK FANTASTIC K!!!!

Nothing against the fresh stuff either!

We don’t eat a lot of Parm. Maybe twice a month, and that is considered heavy usage! :w00t:

How long does a “fresh” wedge of parm last? Where do you buy it? I don’t see it at Publix or Wal-Mart?

The Green Can is everywhere, and it lasts for months. Some say you can pass a can on to your grandchildren! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Considering we only use a small bit once to twice a month, how long does a fresh block last? If it can go the distance of say 6 months in the fridge, it might be worth it to buy a fresh block, but if it goes south in 1-2 months, we’d be wasting money. Any ideas?
I buy fresh parm and romano and have lost blocks (around holidays I will buy 2 blocks of each and 1/4 lb fresh grated goes a long way) in the back of the crisper bin for up to a year and they were still good. If by chance it gets mold on it just grate or cut it off no problem. Just like cured hams have mold on them. You just scrap etc that layer off and it's good to go.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome info guys, I greatly appreciate it! Seems a block of the real stuff ought to last a good while if stored properly. Awesome.

Ok, I’m going to try it. I’ll look for it at Publix later today.

Granted, I’ll never totally forsake the green can. :yum:

But I will get a fresh block and try the slices, etc, to see the difference!

Thanks a million everyone!! :thumb:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Awesome info guys, I greatly appreciate it! Seems a block of the real stuff ought to last a good while if stored properly. Awesome.

Ok, I’m going to try it. I’ll look for it at Publix later today.

Granted, I’ll never totally forsake the green can. :yum:

But I will get a fresh block and try the slices, etc, to see the difference!

Thanks a million everyone!! :thumb:
Use a potato/vegetable peeler and "peel" slices of cheese to top caeser salad. I greatly suggest you buy a microplane grater/zester. With very little effort you will have a nice dusting of fresh grated over your pasta/veggies/salads.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Use a potato/vegetable peeler and "peel" slices of cheese to top caeser salad. I greatly suggest you buy a microplane grater/zester. With very little effort you will have a nice dusting of fresh grated over your pasta/veggies/salads.

Thanks Peeps! I do need to invest in a microplane. More gadgets are good! :biggrin:

Since I don't have one right now, will the fine grating holes on a box grater work? Maybe grate to a plate, then dust the dish by hand?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps! I do need to invest in a microplane. More gadgets are good! :biggrin:

Since I don't have one right now, will the fine grating holes on a box grater work? Maybe grate to a plate, then dust the dish by hand?
Before I got my several microplanes (I have 4 sizes and they work great for fresh frozen ginger, garlic cloves, cheese, zesting and everything in between) I used the round holes with the "teeth" to grate my hard cheese.

Sorry this is the best pic I could find.

Attachments

• grater.jpg
    grater.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 97