Good knife deal or no?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
If the knife gurus would step forward.

I saw this on w00t today. What do you think? Good deal or no?

s2v3ls.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
"good deal or no?"

It looks like if you do the math re: prices of individual knives the deal is a good one. The VG-10 steel is a very good Japanese stainless and the damacus "look" layers are appealing. A 10' Chef's is the right size and has the Japanese/French profile instead of the fat German look (that's a good thing). The 9' slicer is scalloped instead of having the pointed serrations. I have this same design on my Mac SB-150 and prefer it over all other bread cutters. Yes, Keltin. looks like a deal, financially anyway....

I do think, however, that Ken Onion has gone overboard on the style. The handles and blade spines are too wavy but that's just me.

FryBoy

I have a couple of Shun knives, including one Ken Onion, and I think they're pretty good, especially considering what I paid (click here). The odd handles on the Ken Onion edition knives do take a little getting used to, but that's not a huge deal. However, I think this is kind of an oddball selection and I wouldn't buy it. I don't care for serrated knives as they can't be sharpened like regular knives, nor do they cut as well, IMHO. The cleaver in this set is too curved for me -- I like a straighter edge on my cleaver, which I don't use all that much (some people prefer a cleaver for everything).

All in all, I think most people would be happier with a good set of Wusthof Classic knives. For $400, you can find a good set on Amazon -- no tax, free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-Classic-8-Piece-Deluxe-Knife/dp/B0009NMVY6/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=home-garden&qid=1275236598&sr=1-23

S.Shepherd

they're only a good deal if they fit your hand/cutting style. Personally, they don't work for me.
Price wise-- looks like they've come down alot, they might come down more in the near future since Ken doesn't work for them anymore.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The Ken onion don't fit me either though the Shun classics do which are also much cheaper. I have only three however, the 10" Chef's, 3.5" paring and 9" bread knife. None of the others ever appealed to me. The Onion always made me thing of a kitchen commando knife where one need to use a knife for self defense rather than cutting foods.