Buckytom's Manhattan Clam Chowder

buckytom

Grill Master
i made this for a family gathering recently to rave reviews. everyone kept asking how i got so much "clammy" flavor into it. i guess it was because the only liquid added was bottled clam juice and a little water. so, here's an "authentic" recipe for manhattan clam chowder, since i'm typing this from manhattan. :smile:

ingredients:

2 dozen littleneck clams
2 cans of whole baby clams, 10 ozs. each, juice seperated and saved
2 cans of chopped clams, 6.5 ozs each, juice seperated and saved
4 bottles of clam juice, 8 ozs. each
1 can chopped tomatoes, 32 ozs.
3 cups celery, 1/4" dice
3 cups carrots, 1/2 " dice
4 cups onions, 1/2" dice
5 cups potatoes, 1" dice
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper, 1/4" dice
2 heaping tbsps parsley
light olive oil
1 tbsp butter

a the morning that you're ready to make this, scrub the clams and place them in a bowl of cold water so they're submerged. change the water a few times, to help get rid of any sand they may have in them.

then, in a deep saute over medium low heat, add a tbsp or so of light olive oil, butter and quickly toast the garlic. transfer to a large (8 quarts or better) stock pot. in the sautee, add a little more light olive oil, turn up the heat and brown the onions. transfer to stock pot.

to the stock pot, add the diced celery, carrots, potatoes, red pepper, can of chopped tomatoes, 2 bottles of clam juice, and the juice that was seperated from the cans of clams. turn up heat to high , bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low to simmer.
simmer for a half hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

add the canned clams, continue to simmer and stir for another half hour. reduce heat to a low bubble simmer.

in the original deep sautee, add the remaining bottle of clam juice, and an equal amount of water over high heat. scrape up any browning from the onions and garlic. when boiling, add the littlenecks (you may have to do this in 2 batches, and add a little more water the second time), cover tightly, and steam unitl they just begin to open. when all clams are opened, let them cool in a bowl to help reserve any juices that run out.

add the remaining liquid from the sautee pan to the stock pot. pry open the clams if not fully opened, remove meat and roughly chop each one in quarters, depending on the size. add the chopped clams and reserved juice to the stock pot.

add the parsley, and simmmer for another 15 minutes or so, stirring, checking to see that the veggies and potatoes are tender.

serve with oyster crackers.

Calicolady

LOL! Ya beat me to it.
I prefer manhattan, to Allen's NE.
I'll post my alternative later. I don't do the red pepper.

buckytom

Grill Master
here's the nutritional info:

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1 (531g)
Recipe makes 10 servings
Calories 287
Calories from Fat 39 (13%)

Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 4.4g 6%
Saturated Fat 1.2g 5%
Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 47mg 15%
Sodium 468mg 19%
Potassium 1335mg 38%
Total Carbohydrate 41.8g 13%
Dietary Fiber 5.7g 22%
Sugars 11.3g
Protein 20.9g 41%

Last edited:

AllenOK

Heck, I may have to try this. I never thought to use whole baby clams. I like a big chunky clam, something I can actually chew on.

I wish I lived somewhere close to the coast, so I could get fresh clams on a regular basis. I'd steam them for all sorts of things!

buckytom

Grill Master
yup, me too, allen. i mean about the chunky clams. that's exactly why i used the whole babies, and chunked larger fresh clams.

if you make it, critique it please, especially the amounts. it makes a big pot, one of which would probably be dwarfed by those of your regular experience, so i'm interested in your review.

btw, just to rub it in, i've seen pretty small quahogs for $1.99 a dozen, and little necks for $3.99 all winter.

Last edited:

AllenOK

yup, me too, allen. i mean about the chunky clams. that's exactly why i used the whole babies, and chunked larger fresh clams.

if you make it, critique it please, especially the amounts. it makes a big pot, one of which would probably be dwarfed by those of your regular experience, so i'm interested in your review.

How much does your standard recipe yield? If it's on the small side, I may have to do this for lunch for PeppA and our daughter, while everyone else is in school.

btw, just to rub it in, i've seen pretty small quahogs for $1.99 a dozen, and little necks for $3.99 all winter.

:tongue: Man, we need better smilies! We don't any good tongue-sticking-out ones.

The Asian store I go to had live geoducks this past winter, but I think they were $15/each.

buckytom

Grill Master
allen, it makes around 7 to 8 quarts. it pretty much filled my small stock pot, and i think it's 8 quarts.

btw, as with all of my recipes, the amounts are estimated. plus or minus a half cup or so.

AllenOK

Ok, good. I would have started it in my DO, but would not have been able to finish it in that pan. I completely understand about that +/- 1/2 c or so. I do that all the time. I cook "by taste", so all amounts are never set in stone.