Site Supporter
Here's my version of beef stroganoff.

3758226929_1c3c8b3b4a.jpg

1 lb of round steak, cut across the grain into strips
salt and pepper
vegetable oil
1 T butter
6 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
5 green onions, chopped (white parts only)
2 T flour
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 1/2 T sherry
1/3 cup sour cream
wide egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
chopped green onion tops for garnish, or chopped parsley

Season the round steak with the salt and pepper and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the mushrooms until they have lightly carmelized. Add the onions and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Remove the mushroom/onion mixture and set aside.

Add enough vegetable oil to the pan to lightly coat the bottom. Sear the meat over medium/high heat in batches. Add the meat to the mushroom/onion mixture.

Remove the pan from the heat and add about 1/4 cup of the beef broth, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the flour and whisk until it's smooth. Add the remaining broth and whisk to combine thoroughly (no lumps).

Return the pan to the heat and mix in the dijon and sherry. Add the meat/mushroom/onion mixture and simmer slowly for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Spoon over wide egg noodles and garnish with green onion tops or parsley.

I use this sherry. I'm not a sherry connoisseur by any means, but I do know this works well with this dish. (I think :hide: it's considered a middle-of-the-road brand, good enough for cooking.) Anyway, just try not to use cooking sherry for this recipe.

3758380913_2a90bc17a2.jpg

Vegetarian Variation: Use fresh, thickly sliced portobello mushrooms instead of the meat and button mushrooms.

homecook

That looks tasty Cooksie!!! May have to try that this week since I bought some round steak. Thank you!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i love stroganoff! i never used round. i'm going to try this.

i usually use flank, burgundy wine and a small amount of tomato paste from the tube.

Constance

That recipe sounds delicious! I haven't made stroganoff in years, and mine never was very good. Time to try it again!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Stroganoff is always a big hit around here. I sure like the way yours looks, definitely gonna give it a try!
Oh, and I agree, never use cooking sherry or any cooking wine for that matter! Yik! The only reason they exist is because of prohibition, they added salt to the wines to make them cooking wines otherwise they wouldn't have had wine to use in cooking on the off chance it would get drunk instead, LOL.

FryBoy

Stroganoff is always a big hit around here. I sure like the way yours looks, definitely gonna give it a try!
Oh, and I agree, never use cooking sherry or any cooking wine for that matter! Yik! The only reason they exist is because of prohibition, they added salt to the wines to make them cooking wines otherwise they wouldn't have had wine to use in cooking on the off chance it would get drunk instead, LOL.
Sherry is not a "cooking wine" by any stretch of the imagination, although it is used in cooking, as is Burgundy and many other very fine wines.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sherry is not a "cooking wine" by any stretch of the imagination, although it is used in cooking, as is Burgundy and many other very fine wines.

Cooking wine and cooking sherry refers to a whole different beast. They have added salt to them which is not in drinking sherry or other wines.

CharlieD

The main idea in the original Beef Stroganoff recipe to cook meat in sour cream, not to make bream with it. I kind of missed that in this recipe or did not read it right.

FryBoy

The main idea in the original Beef Stroganoff recipe to cook meat in sour cream, not to make bream with it. I kind of missed that in this recipe or did not read it right.
"Bream"? What's that? I've never heard the term before, and Google finds only fish and a classical guitarist by that name.

CharlieD

"Bream" I never hear of that term either, really werad, I clearly remember typing "sauce", where the "bream" came from I have no idea. My home pc is totally weird, It has mind of it's own. :confused:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made this again last night using strip steak instead of round steak. Mucho bettah! I changed the method a little so as not to overcook the steak.

I cooked the mr's/onions, set them aside, then just quickly seared the steak in batches, and set it aside. I made the sauce the same way but only cooked it for about ten minutes. Then I added the steak/mr's back to the sauce to coat and dished it up.

It's much more economical to use round steak, but it's much more tasty with strip steak.

IMG_0835.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made this again last night using strip steak instead of round steak. Mucho bettah! I changed the method a little so as not to overcook the steak.

I cooked the mr's/onions, set them aside, then just quickly seared the steak in batches, and set it aside. I made the sauce the same way but only cooked it for about ten minutes. Then I added the steak/mr's back to the sauce to coat and dished it up.

It's much more economical to use round steak, but it's much more tasty with strip steak.

IMG_0835.jpg
that looks wonderful!!

K

Kimchee

If you run across any Flat Steaks, try them too. Very tasty for dishes like this!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If you run across any Flat Steaks, try them too. Very tasty for dishes like this!

I've only had flat iron steak one time and loved it. They were kind of hard to find around here for a while. Now we can get them in the vacuum packed packages. Great idea, will try!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've only had flat iron steak one time and loved it. They were kind of hard to find around here for a while. Now we can get them in the vacuum packed packages. Great idea, will try!
i use flank. i have never had flat iron