3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup scallions, thinly sliced
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, diced
1 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 lb penne pasta
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiana cheese
2 tbsp. parsley leaves, minced

Preparation:

In a saucepan, melt 1 tbsp butter over low heat. Add the flour. Mix well with a wire whisk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly golden. Add chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and nutmeg. Turn heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Cover and set aside.

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil and 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring constantly, until barely tender. Stir in prosciutto and cook until softened but not brown, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, turn heat to medium-high and cook until mushrooms just begin to release their juices, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over mushroom mixture and blend well. Turn heat to low and cook, stirring, until mixture is well incorporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 tbsp salt until al dente. Drain in a colander, transfer to a bowl with 1 tbsp softened butter and toss quickly. Mix 3/4 of the sauce and Parmigiano cheese with pasta. Spoon remaining sauce over pasta and garnish with minced parsley. serve with additional freshly grated Parmigiano cheese.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 192

Deelady

Sounds good Barb! Only thing I might change is I'd prob pan fried the procuitto seperately and add it at the end for a crunchy texture! Have you ever had procuitto cooked crispy like bacon?? YUM!

homecook

Sounds good Barb! Only thing I might change is I'd prob pan fried the procuitto seperately and add it at the end for a crunchy texture! Have you ever had procuitto cooked crispy like bacon?? YUM!

I thought about that Dee but when you mix it with the sauce it will soften any way. Unless you just crumbled it on top. That's a thought though. lol

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am SO going to make this, Barb!

Did you find 1/2 teas nutmeg good, or too much, or did you decrease it?

Lee

homecook

Lee, to be honest I really didn't measure it. lol I just used the micro plane and dusted the top of it. I would suggest you start out with a little and taste before adding more. I hope you give it a try!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I made this tonight, but since proscuitto is not my favorite, I tried Bresaola, which is dried, seasoned beef instead of pork. Pretty good!

Also, I use beef stock (since I was using beef, and since I had it, LOL!) and it was great. Also, I had, and used Asiago cheese.

I loved this dish! This would have cost me about $17 a plate in Boston.

It was odd to make an Italian dish without garlic, but I didn't miss it at all.

The one thing I would do differently next time is to sautee the mushrooms first, then add the meat and scallions. I like the scallions less cooked.

Great recipe, Barb! Thanks so much!!

Lee

Attachments

• Bresaola.JPG
    Bresaola.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Penne, mushrooms, beef 1.JPG
    Penne, mushrooms, beef 1.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Penne, mushrooms, beef.JPG
    Penne, mushrooms, beef.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 240

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: This is going on my "to do" list too. I have everything but the prosciutto....I may just use bacon :w00t:

homecook

Lee, that looks awesome!! Thanks for trying it out and posting your pics. I'm really glad you liked it! :biggrin: