O.T.S. Ribs

High Cheese

Saucier
O.T.S. = Off The Shelf

Meaning, there's no homemade crapola you have to deal with. :smile:

You need a rack of ribs and this:

Ribs001.jpg

Put the rub on the bottom. With a spoon, spread about 1-2 tablespoons of mustard on the top. coat the top with more rub.

Ribs002.jpg

Smoke with lump charchoal and two hand fulls of lump mesquite. When 3/4 of the way cooked, start brushing on the BBQ sauce in thin layers.

Ribs003.jpg

Only apply 2-3 layers of BBQ sauce total. Make sure you cook the sauce in at least 20 minutes, so make sure you allow for that in your cooking time.

Voila!

Ribs005.jpg

The first time I actually made a rib/BBQ recipe the EXACT SAME WAY TWICE. :thumb:

High Cheese

Saucier
They are! It's a good formula.

BTW - I don't know how you all trim your ribs, but I decided to do away with the top portion on the thicker end of a rack of baby backs. I'm not a fan of the fatty, thicker ribs. The final product is much better and more evenly cooked.

I smoked some St Louis style on Saturday and did the smae thing by trimming alot of the excess fat and meat.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those look really, really good, High Cheese. We use Stubb's BBQ sauce, but I keep seeing Sweet Baby Ray's pop up on here. I'm going to try some if I can find it around here.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, except for the minor detail of a gas grill, those look like BBQ competition ribs, Cheese!

(Seriously, Eck is making me nuts with his "cheese" references.)

Lee

Norscaner

Cheers Cheese
I to use OTS sauce...no shame in that I can gain as much weight on OTS as Custom blend..... I have been experimenting with a local sauce that has won acclaim in the US ...Busters Blueberry BBQ Sauce...a nice blend of sweet plus heat. Still OTS though.:chef:

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Rookie...lol

slap ya mama is a pretty good seasoning... secret or not so secret ingredient...white pepper...except the one you've shown and i cant find around here...how hot is it?....lol:confused:

When I make ribs I usually use this for a rub. Makes them nice and spicy. :)

9098sm.jpg

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Production HighC. I am diffently going to use your formula.
Pictures are fantastic. I like the idea, "Being able to make the same thing twice".

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a different rub and/or sauce next time to see if I can get the same or better results. It's not so much what I used, but how I used the ingredients. (which I'm sure has been done before just not at my house, lol) I think the key player here is the mustard. You don't taste mustard when they are done, but it does add alot of depth to the flavors.

Well, except for the minor detail of a gas grill, those look like BBQ competition ribs, Cheese!

What gas grill? That's my smoker!

Smoke with lump charchoal and two hand fulls of lump mesquite.

High Cheese

Saucier
Cheers Cheese
I to use OTS sauce...no shame in that I can gain as much weight on OTS as Custom blend..... I have been experimenting with a local sauce that has won acclaim in the US ...Berts Blueberry BBQ Sauce...a nice blend of sweet plus heat. Still OTS though.:chef:

LOL..yeah, I get fat on any BBQ too.

Can you buy that Berts sauce online? Sounds interesting.

Kei

Rookie...lol

slap ya mama is a pretty good seasoning... secret or not so secret ingredient...white pepper...except the one you've shown and i cant find around here...how hot is it?....lol:confused:
It's pretty hot in my opinion.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking ribs. Larry Raymond's (Sweet Baby Ray) sauce is as good as any. Now, if I only had a smoker.....

chowhound

I agree. I like SBR's sauces. Plain or kicked up.

Interesting with the mustard, Jeeks. It completely disappears on a butt, but maybe it hangs in there with the shorter cooking time of ribs.
I'd eat 'em!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Stop buying knives and get your butt to Lowes! lol

Waaaa. Sniff sniff. I can't. I'm in my apartment until November sometime - right downtown and no place for cooking outside of the kitchen. Waaaaaaaa

Feels like November now - cold and rainy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome HC!! Mighty fine looking ribs!! I love SBR's sauce too. Great choice!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

That was cool! I wonder how well it worked?

The challenging chef had one of those pipes HC linked to. On a plate, he had a tall glass dome, and under the dome was the goat meat. He fired up the pipe with a blow torch and pumped a bunch of apple wood smoke under the dome and then put the dome down on the plate. He basically filled the dome with smoke and let it cover the meat on the plate. Interesting.