Where to get bullk cinnamon ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
A friend says it adds a lot to her cooking; any idea where i would buy it, and how would i use it (grinder, etc) ?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Cinnamon is available in every store on the planet....how much bulk do you require?

FryBoy

I would suggest that you start with a small amount to see if you agree with your friend. I like cinnamon, and in fact used some today, but a little goes a long way.

I buy both stick cinnamon and ground cinnamon. The sticks are usually 3- to 4-inches long, typically about 15 to 20 in a jar. A stick of cinnamon is usually just tossed into the pot with the other ingredients, maybe sauteed (especially in Indian food), then discarded before the dish is served (like bay leaves).

The powdered stuff is added in small amounts, usually a teaspoon or less in savory dishes and maybe a couple of teaspoons in sweets, depending on the recipe. I buy it in small jars because as with most herbs and spices, it doesn't last forever.

If you do want to buy it in bulk, check any Indian supermarkets that may be near you, or go to one of the many on-line spice purveyors.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I don't mean ground cinnamon. I'm not sure what you call it. I guess it's not called bulk cinnamon. I would have to grind it myself - and i'm not sure in what.

FryBoy

As I said, it's STICK cinnamon. It's what ground cinnamon is made from. It's actually the bark of a tree and looks like this:

ccinnamon.jpg

You need a spice grinder or coffee bean grinder to pulverize the sticks of cinnamon, making it into ground cinnamon, which is what you buy in a jar -- only presumably if you grind it yourself it should be fresher and a little more intense.

You can also use the whole sticks to flavor soups, sauces, and stews -- just don't try to eat the stick!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Most bigger supermarkets also carry the sticks...If you don't see it in the regular spice aisle, try the ethnic foods aisle.
You can use a microplane or a tiny cheese grater if you don't want to purchase a coffee bean grinder.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Oh,..stick cinnamon! Sure, I have that !!!! I use it when I make baked apples !!!

Thanks everyone !!!!

I did not know that's the way it grows in nature; I was thinking it would be a huge hunk !

CharlieD

It is a chunk. It is bark of a tree, so do speak. It's been cut nicely. Ground cinamon available in Sam's club. I do not like it in any way, shape or form. I'd be very careful, especially in cooking (versus baking). I can eat baked goods, i.e. cake, but not in regular foods.