Making your own butter (in the tropics)...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Just askin - I am thinking of the kitchen aid with the whip on low to medium.

Any thoughts?

I think I'd make sure the mixing bowl is covered as best you can with plastic wrap because it may get pretty messy when the butter separates from the buttermilk at a high speed.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Andy, that's what I ended up using, and I gradually increased the speed to "9". The FP WILL do it very quickly and easily, but it wasn't working for me because it is just too warm in my kitchen. Coupled with the fact that the FP bowl heats up as it runs, the butter was just melting, and mixing back into the Butter "water". But if you want to use your KA, just keep beating the cream, past the point that it is very stiff, and pretty soon (all at once, like Keltin says) it will separate. Pour it onto a sieve over a bowl, and you've got BUTTER. Yippee!!

Thanks again, Keltin - for your vote of confidence. But.....YOU started it with the Franken-Pantry. Wonderful idea and great fun. And I agree with Andy - what a good idea to make meals together with NO processed foods.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Andy, Mama is SO right. It starts flinging little globs of butter everywhere. Watch out. I figure it's good for the complexion....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
agitate that creme & you'll get butter, adillo.

as 4 that buttermilk, that is actual buttermilk; those purchased kinds, they add cultures, carageenan, dyclicerides, starches, that jive 2 plain milk~

mhend

Had to try this! It was so much fun!!! I made butter! WOW!!

HomeadeButter.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That is BEAUTIFUL butter, mhend! I bet your family is proud of you...wasn't that fun? And it tastes SO good.

buckytom

Grill Master
i just caught this thread: WTG karen, keltin, and mhend!!!

that's so cool. i remember my mom making butter when we had none in the house, but i never paid attention to how it was done.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Karen and everyone else.
It can be made in a blender too.
It's tricky because of temp and speed, yet not totally rocket science.
I've done it a lot of times over the years.
Good job.

mhend

Awesome Mary!! Great job! How do you like the "real" stuff? :biggrin:

It's SOOO good!!! I just had a little melted on some popcorn..YUM! It's the science behind it that just blows my mind! One minute it's cream, the next - it's BUTTER!!! So cool! :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Got to say, this is....The Best Thread Ever!

Thank you Karen for starting and way to go Mary for doing it as well! This really rocks!!! :thumb:

Norm

We have a dairy a couple miles from here that had an open house and I took the 7 or 8 year old girl next door to it. 13 year old boy was more interested in playing games on my computer... son was babysitting them. They were showing how to make butter by hand but the girl was too shy to try it so I got a quart of cream and made some at home in the KA mixer. I did it pretty much like MexicoKaren but I didn't drain it in a sieve. Nice touch. I did add a little salt to it as we used it as a table spread, not for cooking.

Carolina Cooking

I have made my own butter too. It is very good. I just used my FP with 2 c of heavy cream a little salt. Then added anything to flavor it. If I wanted too.
Mayo too in the FP.

I had to laugh, when we where kids & at Grannys, if we where bad or to wild she would make us sit on the porch & chun butter as our punishment. :biggrin:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have made my own butter too. It is very good. I just used my FP with 2 c of heavy cream a little salt. Then added anything to flavor it. If I wanted too.
Mayo too in the FP.

I had to laugh, when we where kids & at Grannys, if we where bad or to wild she would make us sit on the porch & chun butter as our punishment. :biggrin:
AND you got to reep the rewards!! Yummy

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made my first batch of butter today! O-M-G...it won't be the last :w00t:...and I used the leftover buttermilk to make the biscuits!

Attachments

• HowToMakeButter-2.jpg
    HowToMakeButter-2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 181
  • HowToMakeButter-3.jpg
    HowToMakeButter-3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 179
  • HowToMakeButter-4.jpg
    HowToMakeButter-4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 183
  • HowToMakeButter-6.jpg
    HowToMakeButter-6.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 189
  • HowToMakeButter.jpg
    HowToMakeButter.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 181

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome job Mama! Isn't it just the coolest thing in the world to see the cream thicken and then break out into butter and buttermilk. I love it!

And please......pass me one of those biscuits with a bit of butter! :wub:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin! Yes it is really cool. I think that everyone should make butter at least once. You'd better hurry, there's only a couple of biscuits left. BTW, that buttermilk worked really well for the biscuits.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
BEAUTIFUL Mama!!

What brand mixer did you use? My KA only has a balloon whisk.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I don't know what to tell you Peepers except that I wouldn't try making butter with a hand mixer. That would make a HUGE mess.

loboloco

We used to make butter and buttermilk every week. We started off by letting the milk and cream sit out till it started to sour, then poured the cream into a churn and hand churned it till the butter rose to the top. Skimmed the butter off and pressed it, then refrigerated it. Strained the buttermilk to make sure we had all the butter(that stuff was precious) and used the buttermilk, after refrigeration, for cooking or drinking. Heck, cornbread and buttermilk was a snack food while I was growing up.