How do you prefer to organize the food you cook?

• 1) Miese en place - pre measure and set them out, put the recipe (If used) where you can see it.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 2) decide what you want to make, get the recipe and start putting ingerdients together.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3) Get a recipe and go for it - You have access to a great list of substitutions.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4) a recipe is a suggested guideline and I get creative.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 5) An idea hits you on the way home and you stop at the store, otherwise kknown as "The big pantry"

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Lefty

Yank

1) Miese en place - Gather all the ingredients, pre measure and set them out, put the recipe (If used) where you can see it.

2) decide what you want to make, get the recipe and start putting ingerdients together. You are confident as you are pretty well stocked.

3) Get a recipe and go for it - You have access to a great list of substitutions.

4) a recipe is a suggested guideline and I get creative.

5) An idea hits you on the way home and you stop at the store, otherwise kknown as "The big pantry"

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Mise en place for me! When I learned to do this, my cooking improved immensely. I get too many interruptions and distractions when I'm trying to cook so it's too easy for me to leave something out.

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

Well, first I "Big Pantry", usually for fresh mushrooms or tomatoes or a specific ingredient.
(But in defense of this, since I work at home, my daily grocery store trips are my real contact with humans, LOL).
Then, I am a mise en place, pretty much. I like to get things all chopped and ready.
Then I have to mentally gauge the cooking process so things get finished together.

My wife has learned to get a snack when she gets home, I'm slow.

Lefty

Yank
Preference, Miese en place, but sometimes that doesn't happen. When I want to make something very new and document it, then I have no choice. I wish life made it so I could cook like that all the time, but some times life happens. :chef:

vyapti

I picked 1, but its more of a combination. I love to have everything measured and prepped before I begin, but that's not always an option, especially during the week. I make a weekly menu on Thursday and shop on Friday so I usually have everything I need before I start. I also usually have a recipe or, at least, a framework. But most of my recipes start with an idea instead of a cookbook.

I usually have at least dozen partially sketched out ideas that I want to try or that I'm in the process of tweaking. When it's something new, I take my notes into the kitchen and add to them as I work. I always measure everything because I want to duplicate the results and post the results on my blog.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm also use a combination of two methods listed. I tend to use a recipe as a guide often getting creative. Now with that said also tend to measure out spices, herbs etc and set aside. I do all the prep work before starting to cook as well. I then start cooking what takes the longest first be it a roast with potatoes, I would start the roast. Then figure how long it would take to do the potatoes and start them with that much time left to finish the roast. Same when I do all things though often will leave side prep till I'm getting close to needing it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Numero uno for me most of the time although once in awhile I'll go a little wild with a variety of spices and herbs.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm all over the place on this one. It just depends on what's cooking. For Chinese, I do all the prep work first. Tonight's meatloaf will be exactly by the recipe. But I love to be creative and tend to veer from a lot of recipes, and sometimes I just fly by the seat of my pants :D.