The Next Food Network Star '09 Season 5.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Last summer, Aaron McCargo Jr. was the ultimate and top winner of the show. Adam Gertler & Lisa came in as runner-ups.

Aaron has Big Daddy's House, while Adam has a show, Will Work for Food, but Lisa, I think, decided to pursue other avenues.

Who will win the gold this summer and have the Ultimate Dream Job? Who will be the one that can Get the Job Done THIS time around?

Has anyone been watching it since it returned for a 5th season last week?
Tonight, it looks like they're going to do a contest that looks quite similar to Chopped.

One of the girls, the 1st one to go, was already eliminated last week. Who will it be THIS week?

Who will stay and who will go? :huh:

Last edited:

lilylove

I saw the first show... I loved the little blonde lady with all the energy.

I can't believe they used store bought cake!!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, that cake was VERY embarrassing the way that it was set up!! I wouldn't eat that crap!

But it was good to see most of the present FN stars on the premier episode like Aaron, Giada, Guy, Mourimoto and others.

One of the guys gave an indication that he might drop out of the race.

Last edited:

smoke king

Banned
I've been watching, and tonite, just as they were about to announce who was leaving, little Izzy demanded to go outside (and when he wants out, you don't want to waste time, puppy bladders and all) and by the time he was done, I missed it!! I'm going to try and stay up for the replay tonite.

So far, I really don't care for any of them, but it's still pretty early in the running. Maybe I need to get to know them a little better.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I missed that part too because I was preoccupied on the computer!

The episode will re-air again on Thursday & Saturday.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Glad to help out!

It will be like that until the season is about to end, and then they'll run a marathon on the series sometime next month or so.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I really like Jamika and Jeffrey....for now anyway....kinda soon to make any firm decision but it sure is fun to watch! :)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Actually, and in reality, the winner has already been chosen. We just don't know who it is yet. The show is all pre-recorded episodes.

Probably just before the season began. These are all delayed airings. We just don't know who the winner is yet because the network isn't going to mention it and wants to keep viewers in suspense until the final episode airs.

Would you all concur with me on that?

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
nfns5finalistswbobbys4x.jpg

nfns5debbies3x4sm.jpg

Debbie Lee, 39, a restaurant consultant from West Hollywood, Calif.
  • Good: Warm, bright, hearty laugh, fun Ina-voice
  • Bad: Culinary mis-statements, marketing speak
  • Food: Excellent! Curry pork with red wine, prosciutto cream sauce
  • Quick Take: She reminds me of Margaret Cho – funny, gutsy, warm. But she delivered some culinary information that was just wrong. Can she convince me she has the depth of culinary knowledge and technique to survive at the top of the food world?

nfns5edwards3x4sm.jpg

Eddie Gilbert, 29, a sous-chef from Manhattan Beach, Calif.
  • Good: Smart, articulate, passionate about food, handsome, cocky
  • Bad: Cocky (it could go either way), a little hard, didn’t show a lot of humor
  • Quick Take: Eddie describes himself as a rebel, but he was also a successful executive in corporate America. He’s clearly a very smart guy and definitely loves food. But is his cocky surfer-dude personality for real – and will that be exciting or tiresome on television?

nfns5jens3x4sm.jpg

Jen Isham, 29, a sales manager from Orlando
  • Good: Sarcastic humor, bone dry, funny! Rosy cheeks (why’d I write that?), Housewife 2.0 (her joke)
  • Bad: Housewife 2.0 (good thing or bad thing?)
  • Food: Good, not great
  • Quick Take: Looks like Sandra Lee and shares a desire to help homemakers get food on the table. She calls herself “housewife 2.0.” Funny and dry. Cute. Can she convince me she has enough culinary expertise to speak to millions of viewers?

nfns5melissas3x4sm.jpg

Melissa d’Arabian, 40, a stay-at-home mom from Keller, Texas
  • Good: Mom, funny, resourceful, laughs at self, Sara Moulton-like, solid home cooking, high energy
  • Bad: High energy (frantic?), too scattered, not sure she’s a culinary authority, is she cut out for this?
  • Quick Take: Melissa was immensely likeable and good humored about the challenges of raising four kids under the age of 3 (some twins). She worked as a live-in cook to put herself through grad school. Will this homemaker be out of her league?

nfns5michaels3x4sm.jpg

Michael Proietti, 27, an executive chef from the Bronx, N.Y.
  • Good: Memorable, bright, funny, unpredictable, confident, excellent food
  • Bad: Scattered, tough, bitchy, too over the top
  • Quick Take: After the final auditions, Michael just missed making the top 10. But a few days before we started taping, one of our finalists dropped out. We put Michael in, and I’m glad we did. He’s quick witted, funny, daring, and is an unapologetic “big” character. I wonder if his “I’m so outrageous” act will get old, and if he’ll be able to find depth underneath it to avoid becoming a cliché?

nfns5bretts3x4sm.jpg

Brett August, 32, an executive sous chef from New York, N.Y.
  • Good: Kramer (from Seinfeld), a character, funny, off-kilter, energetic, big personality
  • Bad: Not TV-ready, odd duck, what is his point-of-view?
  • Quick Take: He’s got an odd-Kramerish appeal, but there’s a sweetness underneath his brash New York exterior. Something about him gets everyone in the room laughing and talking. Will Brett be a breakout character on the show, or will people say “what were they thinking?”

nfns5jamikas3x4sm.jpg

Jamika Pesoa, 29, a personal chef from Atlanta, Ga.
  • Good: Strong, unflappable, gorgeous! Some cute stories. Best food.
  • Bad: Newscaster voice (not a compliment, I mean flat, nasal, fake), former marketing exec. and feels it, too controlled.
  • Quick Take: A lot of promise here. Probably the best dish we’ve had in three days. But can she lose the marketing speak (she’s done too many Power Point presentations) and lose her control to be an authentic personality?

nfns5jeffreys3x4sm.jpg

Jeffrey Saad, 41, owner of real estate brokerage firm in Los Angeles, Calif.
  • Good: Handsome, charming, warm, dad, confident cook, very good food
  • Bad: Low energy, too relaxed, mild. Competitive enough for show?
  • Quick Take: Jeffrey charmed the room. He knows his stuff and can really cook. But is his easygoing west coast personality too mild to ever stir up a passionate following?

nfns5katies3x4sm.jpg

Katie Cavuto, 29, a chef/dietician from Philadelphia, Pa.
  • Good: Energetic, confident, fun, former gymnast, strong point-of-view, knowledgeable
  • Bad: Will “healthy” work? Her eyes pop (not a compliment) on camera. Too competitive?
  • Quick Take: Katie is likeable, warm, fun and has Rachael Ray-like energy. But can she tame her hyper-competitiveness and find a new and appealing way to sell ‘healthy’ to a wide viewership that may not want it?

nfns5teddys3x4sm.jpg

Teddy Folkman, 32, a chef/restaurateur from Alexandria, Va.
  • Good: Excellent chef, (he beat Bobby Flay in the “Mussels” challenge on Throwdown with Bobby Flay), charming, smooth, dimpled smile
  • Bad: Memorable? Does he have a star personality? A chef without a distinctive point-of-view
  • Quick Take: I remember really liking Teddy when he was a guest on Throwdown. His cooking stood out during the auditions, and he definitely has a polished self-aware charm – which could be too self-conscious. Can this good looking chef quickly find a persona and point-of-view to propel him though the competition?

Deadly Sushi

Mmmmmmm... so far MY take is they ALL suck.

I think the one that sucks the LEAST is Jen, Debbie and Jeffery.

Eddie, Michael and Katie I want to run over with a cement mixer. Then back up. Then run over them again. I think 'hate' is the proper word.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm... so far MY take is they ALL suck.

I think the one that sucks the LEAST is Jen, Debbie and Jeffery.

Eddie, Michael and Katie I want to run over with a cement mixer. Then back up. Then run over them again. I think 'hate' is the proper word.

This season, I could give a crap less WHO wins.

No favorites here

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
So what do you think of last night's episode? Do you think Eddie should have been the one eliminated? It was a tough call....

Deadly Sushi

So what do you think of last night's episode? Do you think Eddie should have been the one eliminated? It was a tough call....

I think that bonehead should have not even made it on the show The week before with mixing a holiday with a dish, he was HORRIBLE! And I mean realllllllllllllllllllllly really really bad.

Who do Ya'll think will WIN the big enchalada? :unsure:

Shermie

Site Supporter

I didn't see it yet. Was out of town for the weekend and have to wait until Thursday to see it.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I didn't see it yet. Was out of town for the weekend and have to wait until Thursday to see it.

It's a good one....watch it and tell us what you think of the outcome. I've been reading and leaving comments on Bob Tushman's blog on the FN website, lol :whistle:

Shermie

Site Supporter
One of them, Jen Isham, looks almost like Kelsey, who was last year's contestant.

smoke king

Banned

I really liked the outcome of last weeks show-Brett got exactly what he deserved. Kinda chitty the way he tried to pearl harbor that gal.

As far as Eddie goes, he could of went, but no matter. Its just a matter of time for him..........

Deadly Sushi

To see who they booted, just highlight the sentence!

This week the judges were on the ball booting Eddie!!! :applause:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
So.....what did everyone think of last night's episode??? It's about time they got kicked off!

sirena

Yup. It was Teddy's time to go. I was really sorry that Jeffrey made such a mess of his dish. I like him. But Jamika is a rising star and out of all of them I can picture her having her own show.

Deadly Sushi

Im just waiting to see them kick Katie to the curb. I hate, despise, detest, loathe and abhorre her. She seems like a shallow airhead. Emotionally retarded. Plus she was in gymnastics! You know what THAT means!!!

sirena

Gee Deadly Sushi. Now I know something about you that I wish I didn't. You really feel that comfortable just throwing that out there?

Deadly Sushi

Gee Deadly Sushi. Now I know something about you that I wish I didn't. You really feel that comfortable just throwing that out there?

THrowing out..... what? That I hate one of the Food Network Stars? :huh:

ANd that in some fashion bothers you? :unsure: Regarding your question, I just dont feel comfortable stating my opinion... Im downright relaxed. :smile:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It has been quiet here so far tonight. Please remember the following regarding any follow up posts in this thread:

Forum Rules
The following is a continually updated list of forum rules compiled by the administrator and moderators of Net Cooking Talk Forums. By registering and participating at NetCookingTalk.com members must abide by the following rules and guidelines:
Personal attacks and flames targeted toward other members, moderators, or anyone visiting the forum are NOT TOLERATED. Violations include, but are not limited to, posts containing racial, ethnic, or sexual slur, offensive language, insults towards one’s abilities, attacks on personal beliefs or opinions, etc.