MSG - Who uses it?

High Cheese

Saucier
To be honest, I never really payed attention to it or what it was until I recently watched an episode of Food Detective where Ted Allen put the kabosh on the old rumors.

So I decided to give it a shot and bought a can of Sazon, which includes MSG along with some other spices. I used it on a pork shoulder, slow cooked in the oven (about 6 hours @ 250). The taste was great, I may have used a little too much as the crust was a bit salty. I'm going to try straight (uncut - lol) MSG on something else. My plan is to see exactly what the taste difference is so I'll use the same cut of meat and only add MSG to one half.

Does anyone else use MSG or a form of it?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never used it as a spice but have gotten foods with it added. My Asian restaurants use it. It is basically a salt which many have problems with though I never have.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Dad used 2 palce that in many foods.

from reads when i was a tot, that gives migranes 2 a few people & that.

we luved that monosodium glutemate.

'shrimp cocktail (we'd plain 'ol forego dinner a few 'nites, then my Dad would make shrimp/cocktail sauce & we'd dine on that) & there were copius amounts of that MSG during cooking them.
2 me, they were yummier that way.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
simmering, yeppers. & 'bout half a bottle, he-he
we i\used that stuff kinda as-if salt!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I use it and have no problem with it. It makes me laugh when people swear they are allergic to it and will almost certainly die if they eat it BUT love my cooking!! I use it in just about everything I cook. I used to be able to buy a large bottle of MSG. BUT since all the crap about it I can't find it any more. NOW I have to pay 3X the price for tiny bottles of Accent!!! I use it and I think it stinks that some people that have made such a big damn deal it has practically been outlawed!! If you don't like it don't use it!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I use it, HC. I bought some in a Whole Foods store, I think, where they sell spices and herbs in bulk.

When I ran out of that, I just use Accent.

I mainly put it in dips, sauces, and soups. It does bring out a "je ne sais quoi" flavor, especially in my sour cream herb dip!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes, I use it, HC. I bought some in a Whole Foods store, I think, where they sell spices and herbs in bulk.

When I ran out of that, I just use Accent.

I mainly put it in dips, sauces, and soups. It does bring out a "je ne sais quoi" flavor, especially in my sour cream herb dip!

Lee
Sour cream herb dip? Do tell

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i use it sparingly. in secret. shhhh. :wink:

unfortunately, dw claims it makes her feel bloated. lol, i'm not sure if that's an actual symptom of msg allergies, but i've learned to pick my battles. :huh:

i use maggi sauce, and goya or badia adobo on occasion.

here's an interesting article on msg: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/dining/05glute.html
I also use Goya Adobo and Maggi!! I used to be able to find the vinegar Adobo but can't find that flavor any more.