Wine Question For Italian Night

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ten friends and myself are going to have a "just us girls" dinner and movie night on Wednesday.
The plan is that we all bring an Italian dish to share.

I'll be making a veggie lasagna in a bechamel type sauce.
There will be ravioli florentine, spaghetti and meatballs and pizza too, so far as I know.
We were all asked to bring a good wine as well.

I could Google wine suggestions, but I'd rather know what you all use to accompany specific themed dinners, such as this.
Thanks in advance.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Get a nice chianti at the very least. If you have the opportunity to chose by region, go with the Puglia region.

But absolutely, since this is an italian themed evening, get a wine from italy.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Barolo, the king of wines and the wine of kings is made of 100% Nebbiolo grapes. So is Barberesco, both from the Piedmont region in northern Italy. You should be able to find a decent generic Nebbiolo at a good wine shop. It's a dry red like Cabernet Sauvignon but has a totally different taste. Try it. You'll like it. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a blast!

What's the movie, Sass?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Don't know what movie(s) the hostess has selected as yet Lee.
That's the fun part for the rest of us! lol

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I couldn't agree more about the barolo or barbaresco....but since this is a pot luck kind of dinner, in my opinion, I wouldn't serve those. The propensity for the creamy vegetable lasagna or the ravioli florentine to clash is great..and barolo's are $$$.
I'd save that for a meal when you have more control over the courses.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I couldn't agree more about the barolo or barbaresco....but since this is a pot luck kind of dinner, in my opinion, I wouldn't serve those. The propensity for the creamy vegetable lasagna or the ravioli florentine to clash is great..and barolo's are $$$.
I'd save that for a meal when you have more control over the courses.

I didn't say buy a Barolo. There are bottles labeled Nebbiolo, generic stuff, and not nearly as heavy as Barolo. As to the price of Barolos, yeah, I know. I used to bring back six bottles every trip to Rome because, one, I could obtain exactly the ones I wanted, and two, if you could find them in the US they cost three times as much (and that's a lot). :shock:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again.
I'll let you know what I've purchased. Notes taken and much appreciated.

loboloco

Sass, wine is as individual as fingerprints. Personally, I go for the other than grape wines. A good scuppernong blush is sweet without being too sweet or a muskiedine wine. I think these are considered more dessert wines, but I like them.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, wine is as individual as fingerprints. Personally, I go for the other than grape wines. A good scuppernong blush is sweet without being too sweet or a muskiedine wine. I think these are considered more dessert wines, but I like them.

But would you serve this with an italian meal?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed...but the question was to suggest a wine to compliment an italian meal:)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well a chianti seems to be the most sensible at the moment.
After all, doesn't it go well with creamy/white based sauce recipes, as well as red sauced ones, and even pizzas?
I don't know much at all about pairing wines with whatever dish other than the very basics.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Serve the chianti with the reds, and a pinot grigio with the cream sauces. This way you can actually have pairings/tastings. An asti or proseco would be nice with dessert.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The Italian night is called off for now :(
2 coming down with colds, one having MAN problems (gosh go figure! lol), another having munchkin problems adjusting to school scariness, so we have agreed to another date in mid October.
Hurray.