Odd food trivia & facts

Calicolady

Do you have any others to add???

Of all the land on earth, 7.6 percent is being farmed. 21 percent could be farmed.

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]Even though our bodies each contain more parasites than the total number of people on earth, if you put them all together, they would only fill a drinking glass.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]The average American eats 20 to 30 times as much salt as is required for good health.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]An American spends less for food than a person anywhere else in the world. Twelve percent of our total income goes for food.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]When rats were fed only 60 percent of the food they would eat if they could, they lived 40 percent longer than normal.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]A study has discovered that people tend to eat 44 percent more calories when they dine with friends than when they eat alone.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]There is more alcohol in mouthwash than in wine.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]There is one vending machine for every 55 Americans.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]There is a new water purifier on the market built into a drinking straw.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]A person drinks about 11,000 gallons of liquid in a lifetime, approximately one-third the amount of water in a built-in swimming pool.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]Celery has the unusual effect that the more you eat, the skinnier you will become. It takes more energy to eat celery than the calories it contains.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]The largest Kentucky Fried Chicken store is in Beijing, China.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]These people were vegetarians for at least part of their lives: Albert Einstein, George Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy, Clara Barton, Mahatma Ghandi, Mr. Rogers, Leonardo da Vinci, Jeff Juliano - the original Ronald McDonald, Steve Martin, Buddha, Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton, Seneca, Upton Sinclair, Henry David Thoreau, Voltaire, David Cassidy, Harry Chapin, Cesar Chavez, Bob Dylan, Peter Frampton, Dick Gregory, George Harrison, Gladys Knight, Cloris Leachman, David Wallachinsky, Leslie Ann Warren, Dennis Weaver, David Carradine, Johnny Cash.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]We Americans drink three million gallons of orange juice per day. We drink over fifteen million gallons of beer daily. This means that on average, Americans drink five times more beer than orange juice.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]To grow the wheat for a single loaf of bread two tons of water are needed.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]You can harvest one-half ton of wheat from an acre, but if you grow potatoes instead, that same acre will give you five tons.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]Americans are 2,300,000,000 (over two billion) pounds overweight. We average about nine and a half pounds overweight. Overweight Americans cost about a million extra gallons of gasoline per year.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]If you occasionally water your plants with Club Soda, they will increase in color and vitality.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]There used to be a custom of putting a small piece of toast into wine to enhance its flavor by absorbing particles. This is where the term "to toast" came from. [/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]Americans eat almost one billion gallons of ice cream per year. That averages over four gallons per person.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]In a year Americans eat so many hot dogs that if lined up touching end to end they would wrap around the earth at the equator more than 72 times.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]Did you know that Americans eat an average of 25 pounds of bananas per person per year?[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]You can accidentally kill yourself by drinking over 40 cups of coffee in one day. The amount of caffeine is sufficient to cause respiratory failure. [/FONT]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok there are a couple that don't apply to me at all. Ice Cream I never eat so someone is eating my part. I can tell you that 40 cups of coffee hasn't killed me nor caused any heart problems as I drink 4 - 12 cup pots in a day by myself and have for many years.

PanchoHambre

Do you have any others to add???

[FONT=tahoma, new york, times, serif]You can accidentally kill yourself by drinking over 40 cups of coffee in one day. The amount of caffeine is sufficient to cause respiratory failure. [/FONT]

yikes... thats how I made it through grad school

Calicolady

That's why I said TRIVIA & facts. I don't plan, nor expect anyone here plan to prove any of these.
Just for fun.
I don't eat the ice cream either. I hope it's not the same person, joec.
I am going to try the club soda on some of my plants though.
Some are looking alittle anemic.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ok there are a couple that don't apply to me at all. Ice Cream I never eat so someone is eating my part. I can tell you that 40 cups of coffee hasn't killed me nor caused any heart problems as I drink 4 - 12 cup pots in a day by myself and have for many years.
I know - me, too! But I think all that proves is that we are freaks of nature, my friend!

waybomb

"When rats were fed only 60 percent of the food they would eat if they could, they lived 40 percent longer than normal."

Politicians should take note..............

AllenOK

There is only one food in the world that does not spoil in any way. Honey! It will crystallize, but that is easily remedied. Honey is anti-bacterial. If you cut yourself, dab a little honey on the wound, then apply a bandaid.