White Beans and Mustard Greens Soup 5P+

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is a wonderfully filling recipe that is only 5P+ for a 12-ounce serving!

1 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of lean, cooked ham, diced
½ teaspoon of thyme
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
2 cans (15 ounces each) of Lucks Southern Style Great Northern Beans (do NOT drain)
2 cans (15 ounces each) of chicken broth
2 cups of fresh or frozen (and thawed)chopped mustard greens

Saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic with the butter in a heavy bottom dutch oven until soft. About 5 minutes.

Add the cooked ham, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, ham, northern beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and add the mustard greens. Continue cooking another 2 to 3 minutes.

Attachments

• white-bean-mustard-greens-soup.jpg
    white-bean-mustard-greens-soup.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,002

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The lucks southern style great northern beans come in a nice thick sauce, you don't drain or rinse the beans, you use the whole can. It's the one in the yellow can:

Attachments

• lucks-great-northern-beans.jpg
    lucks-great-northern-beans.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 587

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's going on my list of soups to make for lunches this Fall, Mama!

Do you mash any of the beans, or does the soup turn out that thick without doing so?

Terrific!

Lee

Mama, it looks so creamy! But I don't see any dairy listed. What gives it that wonderful creaminess?

Actually, with most canned beans - especially any type of white bean (Northern, Cannellini) the juices in the can are usually quite thick because of the starch in the beans. So depending on what recipe I'm using the beans for decides on whether or not I drain, drain & rinse, or use everything in the can. For instance, for salads, I'd drain & rinse. For soups, I usually never drain.

And Mama, thanks for the recipe. Sounds & looks delicious, & I will definitely be trying it soon. I'll have to make 2 substitutions - smoked turkey or smoked turkey ham for the pork ham, & will probably use regular Great Northern beans for the Lucky brand, which has pork in it. (Hubby can't eat pork products.) I think it will probably still turn out tasty.