pecan spice cake with Maple frosting

Guts

I ran across this the other day, on one of my other groups that I visit a friend was asking for a spice cake recipe. So I copied this one and send it to her. I have not tried this recipe. So take that for what it's worth, but it didn't look too bad. I may just try it. After the new year. That's when I quit my diet. No matter what! My New Year's resolution is to eat normal again. I was trying for 50 pound loss and seem to be stuck in about 35 to 37 Lbs but the years not over yet.I believe this recipe came from the Costco book that they send out. anyway, here's the recipe:

From Cooking light​
pecan spice cake with Maple frosting​

Cake:
2 teaspoons flour
9 ounces flour (about 2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 dash of ground cloves (this is not in the recipe but I personally would add just a little bit more)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
frosting:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 dash of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°
To prepare cake coat 2 (8 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with wax paper; coat wax paper with cooking spray. Dust each pan with 1 teaspoon flour. Weigh or lightly spoon 9 ounces of flour about 2 cups into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Combine 9 ounces flour, baking soda, and next four ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.
Place 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large mixing bowl; beat with the mixer at medium high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 min.) . Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture. Beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating just until combined. Fold in 1/3 cup pecans. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 350° for 24 min. or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 min. on wire racks. Invert cake layers onto racks. Cool completely. Discard wax paper.
To prepare frosting, place 1/2 cup brown sugar and next four ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring just until sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring, 3 min. Scrape Brown sugar mixture into a bowl. Add powdered sugar; beat with a mixer at high speed 2 min. or until slightly cooled and thick BGN 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Place one cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake . Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons pecans. Let cake stand until frosting is set. Yield 16 servings.

I'm going to include this because it is from cooking light, otherwise I would not.
calories 325; that 11.8 g (sat 5.7 g Mono 3.8 g, poly 1.2 g) protein 3.8 g carbohydrates by 2.1 g fiber 0.8 g, cholesterol 64 mg iron 1.5 mg sodium 209 mg calcium 36 mg

Leni

Thanks Guts for posting it for me. Looks very good and I love the idea of maple frosting.

Guts

thank you all for your comments, mama I would think it would be all-purpose (AP) but I don't see any reason you couldn't use cake flour. I think that is why they have added the flour in weight. I could be wrong. I am holding back on asking about a frosting because I just don't have time right now. Work and 40 every week and Saturday and Sunday on my house all day. I haven't even had time to mow the lawn and it needs it badly. Glad you all enjoyed the recipe.