What home deep fryer do you use?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want to try Lefty's Beer batter .... but need a deep fryer.

Looking for deep fryer recommendations. Pros and Cons.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I don't use one, sorry - we gave up deep fat frying some years ago.

homecook

I've got a Rival that I've had for about 7 years now and it just won't die.......I don't like it at all. It's a PITA to clean....... I usually use my big chicken fryer instead. lol I'm looking for a new one too. I'd like to get one with two baskets.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've got a Delonghi. It has a cover and the oil is really easy to clean. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has no thermometer and I could use one that's a bit bigger and more rectangular than round

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use a Presto Deep Fryer which I picked up at WalMart years ago. I holds 4 qts of oil (canola in my case) which can be easily drained and strained back to the bottles. It has 2 small baskets or you can get a single wide basket which we use most. At the time I paid about $70 for it but they have it now for http://www.walmart.com/Presto-Dual-Profry-Deep-Fryer/ip/3946734 It came with a coupon for the extra basket which was $8 and free shipping. It is easy to clean, light weight unless filled with oil and has easy to use instruction as well as temperature settings. They also make a single version of mine which is cheaper that needs less oil (2qts). I have sure fried a bunch of onions, shrimp, fish, okra, broccoli etc over the last 8 years or so I've owned it. Still going strong and one of my favorite appliances.

Attachments

• Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 188

bowlingshirt

I'd get one with a removable oil bucket to help make cleaning a little easier. Also, a large capacity is a good idea, since the higher ratio of oil to food will result in the oil maintaining it's temperature better. Built in t'stat is nice, too, as is a filtered lid.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We use a round Presto Fryer/Steamer. But we only fry in it. We leave the oil in it, so it’s a big plus. We can re-use the oil several times, and change it once a month. The cord/thermometer attach magnetically to the base, making storage and clean up all the easier. We only cook for 2, so this is big enough for us, and with it being round, it’s easy to store it away in a cabinet when not in use.

1z6glu0.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Options-Electric-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B00005OTXY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1254163943&sr=8-14"]Here's a link to it.[/ame]

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
I have had mine for so long I forgot the name on it. :sorry: The one thing I remember is it was advertised as a flash frier because it got back up to tempature quickly. Mine has a rectangular basket about 3/4 of the size you see at fast food places. When I do chicken fingers I dont use the basket, I drop them right in one at a time. Otherwise I would have a heck of a mess to clean up. I do that with anything with a wet batter, or home breaded. In a pinch a small stock pot would work on the stove top, just be sure not to over crowd.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'd get one with a removable oil bucket to help make cleaning a little easier. Also, a large capacity is a good idea, since the higher ratio of oil to food will result in the oil maintaining it's temperature better. Built in t'stat is nice, too, as is a filtered lid.

The Presto like I have has a removable bucket that is also easy to pour with. It comes completely apart in a few seconds for real easy cleaning which is a must for us. Once the oil cools we simply pour it into a pan then through some filters back into the bottles for use later.

Our first deep fryer was like Keltin had and lasted about 20 years before we lost it in a hurricane. It was good also but too small for the amount I do when I'm frying. Daily it is just for 2 but when the kids, grand kids and friends show up it can jump up to 20 on occasion.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
don't do much deep frying - beer battered butterflied shrimp mostly....

so I use a heavy pot and a thermometer.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have this one:

simg_t_o20007919322000791932jpg

I bought it after seeing a "Good Eats" episode in 2004 where he was buying a deep fryer. I read some of the reviews on it and they aren't that great but I love mine.

Here's the write up on it:

"If you're a fan of Alton Brown, his show "Good Eats", Food TV, or basically just good cooking, then you'll appreciate this... on tonight's episode he reviewed his checklist for selecting a great deep fryer. This is the model he chose.

To be clear, he never discusses or recommends specific brands. Rather, he uses checklists of important features then chooses the best one. Following is his checklist so you can see how he arrived at his decision.

1. Its element should heat the oil, not the container. Sounds like common sense, but look carefully and you'll see most fryers have the element mounted on the outside bottom. This requires the fryer itself to become super-heated before the oil does. This configuration takes much longer, and can be more dangerous.

2. Digital readout for precise temperature control. You'll notice other reviewers discussing greasy-tasting food when using under-heated oil. Exactly his point.

3. Capacity should be 5 quarts or more.

4. The fryer should be able to top 375 degrees for flexible and fast cooking.

5. A vented lid allows safe covering while cooking.

The Euro-Pro F1066 meets or exceeds each of these standards. "

chowhound

I've got this one [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Waring-DF250B-1800-Watt-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B0014JM1JE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1254165555&sr=8-2-fkmr0[/ame]
It holds a lot and gets up to temp fast. It has a timer, but the dinger is more like a click. I just keep my eye on it. I like it, but basically only use it for french fries now, since I don't fry wings anymore. I fried something with batter not too long ago and the batter that came off made a real mess in the oil. I don't get into all that straining and reusing stuff, but I might have to change my ways... Otherwise I just use a pan with oil in it and toss the oil when done.

Lefty

Yank
I have this one:

simg_t_o20007919322000791932jpg

I bought it after seeing a "Good Eats" episode in 2004 where he was buying a deep fryer. I read some of the reviews on it and they aren't that great but I love mine.

Here's the write up on it:

"If you're a fan of Alton Brown, his show "Good Eats", Food TV, or basically just good cooking, then you'll appreciate this... on tonight's episode he reviewed his checklist for selecting a great deep fryer. This is the model he chose.

To be clear, he never discusses or recommends specific brands. Rather, he uses checklists of important features then chooses the best one. Following is his checklist so you can see how he arrived at his decision.

1. Its element should heat the oil, not the container. Sounds like common sense, but look carefully and you'll see most fryers have the element mounted on the outside bottom. This requires the fryer itself to become super-heated before the oil does. This configuration takes much longer, and can be more dangerous.

2. Digital readout for precise temperature control. You'll notice other reviewers discussing greasy-tasting food when using under-heated oil. Exactly his point.

3. Capacity should be 5 quarts or more.

4. The fryer should be able to top 375 degrees for flexible and fast cooking.

5. A vented lid allows safe covering while cooking.

The Euro-Pro F1066 meets or exceeds each of these standards. "

I have this one myself. Love it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've got a Rival that I've had for about 7 years now and it just won't die.......I don't like it at all. It's a PITA to clean....... I usually use my big chicken fryer instead. lol I'm looking for a new one too. I'd like to get one with two baskets.
We must have the same Rival, Barb. A pain to clean, but it won't break so I can buy a new one. I really want the one Joe has.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife just corrected me on mine it takes 4 - 1.5 qt bottles of oil so that would be a bit more than 4 qts. If my math is correct it will take between 1 gallon and to 1.5 gallons.

homecook

That would help............LOL

Or I could just go buy it and and tell him it's what "he" bought me. hahaha

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't use one, sorry - we gave up deep fat frying some years ago.
Same here Ray, I used to have a Tefal when I lived over there, that is.. once I threw the dangerous, ancient chip pan out in the bin:yum:
Right now, I don't have a deep fryer, and don't think I'd use one all that much anyway.

chowhound

I still have my Tfal one. The round one with the sealable lid and charcoal filter. Maybe I should put it in the pay it forward forum. I'm sure it still works, I just wanted one with a larger capacity to do around 16 wings at once.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Tefal, cool touch, filter in lid, heats to 375, indicator light when it has reached the temp set, and it has little pic's of fish, french fries, etc by the correct temps for cooking each :ermm: I like it!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Tefal, cool touch, filter in lid, heats to 375, indicator light when it has reached the temp set, and it has little pic's of fish, french fries, etc by the correct temps for cooking each :ermm: I like it!
Tefal must have been an English invention, given all the chip pan fires they have in their history.
I agree with you Cooksie, they are the best, although all we ever used it for was fish and chips and potato croquettes.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We had the Rival when the kids were still here. A real PIA to keep clean, so it went out when #1 & #2 moved out. #3 doesn't eat fried foods enough to care, so now we use...

P1010736.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I hate to cleanup residual oil from frying, and this is the best way to avoid all that mess. I was making a lot of flancati that day, so it really saved me a ton of cleanup.

Flancati.jpg