Amazing new dip invented by DH and me...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
NOTE: I posted this also at the "other place" and I know that many of you do not continue to frequent both places...DH and I invented a new dip. I always take something (usually cookies) to the gallery where I show my paintings on Art Walk nights. Too warm to bake today, so Jerry suggested dip.

We both love cuchuahates (peanuts) enchilado (coated with chili powder). They are easy to find here, maybe not so easy up north. Here's what we did (measurements are approximate):

3 cups roasted shelled salted peanuts enchilado (or add 2 TBS chili powder)
1 TBS oil
2 TBS dried chile flakes
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp organo
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup diced cooked bacon (I used the Hormel chopped bacon that comes ready cooked).

Put the peanuts in the food processor and process until they are like peanut butter. Add remaining ingredients and process to blend. Chill and serve with tortilla chips or celery.

I know it sounds a little strange, but everyone loved it and gobbled it up.:w00t: People were coming into the gallery just to try the dip, because they had heard about it from someone else... It is pretty picante, so if you are not fond of spicy food, you might leave out the dried pepper flakes.

Oh, and I sold a painting, too! So it was a good night all around.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This sounds wonderful, Karen. I will definitely try this.

I was thinking about you today because I just finished a Sandra Cisneros book, Caramelo, and she's such an artist with words. Her descriptions of Mexico made me think of you and your lovely casa.

PanchoHambre

Sounds great Karen... I can't quite imagine what it taste like which is frustrating but I think it would taste good all yummy things in there... peanuts & bacon and SC and Chile...mmmm

congrats on the sale too

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the congrats - I was a little uneasy trying this out in such a public setting, but it tasted SO good, and everyone loved it. Just goes to show that there actually IS "something new under the sun."

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'll try anything Karen. If you say it's good then it is. I'm going to make up a batch this weekend for snacks with TV sports. Thanks.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So cool! Don't ya just love it when you come up with something and it turns out to be a big hit!!
I will definitely give it a try when I get some good peanuts from Whole Foods. I keep promising myself to make some homemade peanut butter anyway!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh cool, Buzz...hope you like it.
:bouncy:

I'm sure of it. I never would have been the human who ate the first raw oyster but I can never turn down a strong recommendation.

Sneaky Buzz Google Earthed your gorgeous beach town. Nice.

Buzz

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Karen, the dip sounds great, especially with the celery!

Congratulations about selling a painting! I love your work!

Wish you had prints or even greeting cards of your paintings for sale!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Lee - I do actually make cards of my paintings and sell them at the gallery. I'll get busy and get some more made, and let you know what's available....

Buzz? Our house actually shows up on Google Earth...we are at the south end of town (not on the beach, boo-hoo), but next to a big vivero/nursery. Sometimes I forget that we live in paradise....

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz? Our house actually shows up on Google Earth...we are at the south end of town (not on the beach, boo-hoo), but next to a big vivero/nursery. Sometimes I forget that we live in paradise....

Mine too. Google Earth is way cool. Zero in on your house and go ctrl+alt+s to save the image as a jpg file and show us your home.

Just out of curiosity, does nearby Puerto Vallarta have any of the horrendous drug related problems as found in the Mex/US border towns?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I made some. It's really different. Who'da thunk peanut dip? I had regular salted peanuts so added the chili powder as suggested. The oil was EVOO. I didn't have any dried chile flakes so I used cayenne pepper but only a quarter of what is called for in the recipe because DW isn't too keen on hot food. It's a winner and goes great with both chips and celery.

Every bite is a new experience because I can't program myself to expect it to taste like it does.... :a1:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
buzzard767 said:
Every bite is a new experience because I can't program myself to expect it to taste like it does....

Oh, I'm glad you like it! I know what you mean about the taste. It's a little peculiar. But it IS good. Fun to try something new, though. Thanks!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Well... if I had me some peanuts on hand, I would have made this already! Sounds great MK!!! I can't wait to give it a try!