The Ultimate Tuna Steak

Renfro Jones

Normally I would not give up this secret recipe, however the ice caps are melting and time is running out, so I figure what the hell. I was going to enter this contest in Bon Appetite Magazine " Build a Better Burger" first prize was 20k, but me being absent minded person I am, missed the deadline.

Tuna Steak, palm size about an inch thick, nice pink color cut out any dark red section. Baste steak both sides with a generous coating of extra virgin first cold press olive oil.

( you will need a mister to spray the steaks with the olive oil occasionally while they are grilling )

Prepping the steaks: apply to both sides, !/2 tsp off sea salt, 3/4 tsp of basil,3/4 tsp of thyme (garlic lovers 1/4 tsp minced garlic)

Spread spices evenly onto steak an use back of spoon to press into the steak, without destroying it. let sit for 20 mins.

covered grill is best, get to 650 DGS, and before placing steaks on, give a little shot of olive oil so fish doesn't stick.

Grill each side covered for 4 mins spraying occasionally with olive oil and the grill 1st side for about 2 more mins, Remove from grill steaks will continue to cook on the plate.

The sauce: 2 parts mayo, 1 part grey poupon. Mix the GP into the mayo until the mayo taste is gone, The GP flavor should also be faint. Add some parsley flakes and a couple dash's of tobasco.

Sliced red onions ( not chopped, there is a difference)

Add steak, onions and sauce onto a nice grilled roll, and grab a beer, you should be good to go, Steamed aspargus is a nice side.

Since the warming trend is a little late, I will post a pick as soon as I break out the grill..

Last edited:

Renfro Jones

...you don't put sugar in yours do you? :flowers:

I just recently started buying this Jiffy corn bread mix from the grocery store, its 50 cents a box, and its very good, I haven't had corn bread for years and I bought this on a whim 3 months ago. I just add an egg and some milk and then when its Baked I add the butter. Its the only bread product I've ever made, I was just really impressed with the price....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That sound good Renfro and I just got a free one years subscription to Bon Appetite Magazine and Gourmet Magazine when I purchase a couple of new pots/pans. Both look pretty interesting as I got my first copies over the last two months.

Renfro Jones

That sound good Renfro and I just got a free one years subscription to Bon Appetite Magazine and Gourmet Magazine when I purchase a couple of new pots/pans. Both look pretty interesting as I got my first copies over the last two months.

Yeah Bon Appetite is pretty good, I'm a member of the specialty food trade and I get the specialty food mag, thats pretty good too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man do I need someone in the specialty food business here in Lexington.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I want food like I could get in Florida but just not available here. My list would start with fresh fish, asian products such as soy sauces, good Italian products etc. There are a few places here that have good stuff but not the local grocery stores. We do have a Whole Foods that is good but a bit expensive for fresh sea food. Produce is great hear as is beef, lamb, and pork.

Renfro Jones

Oh I want food like I could get in Florida but just not available here. My list would start with fresh fish, asian products such as soy sauces, good Italian products etc. There are a few places here that have good stuff but not the local grocery stores. We do have a Whole Foods that is good but a bit expensive for fresh sea food. Produce is great hear as is beef, lamb, and pork.

I understand, I've never lived far from the coast, and I'm a big fish eater. The summer fare where I live is Maryland tomato's and silver queen corn. Can you get a good ear of corn in the summer time.