Rants and Raves thread

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you both.

Leni - I haven't thought of that. You gave me a special chuckle. Do you remember our own "Cornbreadgate" LOL.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:bump:

Today I shall rant and rave about Dyson :D.

I bought a new Dyson Animal vacuum four years ago and paid big bucks for it. It has this little button that you push down to release the canister to allow for dumping the junk. My little button started not wanting to return to the lock position, so I did the inspection. There is a little plastic rod about as big around as the wire on a wire coat hanger that had snapped. It looked like an inexpensive and easy thing to fix.

Come to find out, you can't just replace the rod. You have to buy the whole cyclone assembly, which runs anywhere from $85 on Amazon to $110 locally. Dyson needs to rethink this and use a more substantial rod on a part that gets so much use, either sturdier plastic or metal. But no......

Good part is that I discovered that it was still under warranty for parts and labor. They get an :a1: for their 5 year warranty and great service center. It took me about 10 minutes total on the phone to get everything all set up.

It took me about about thirty minutes to find the darn serial number :eek:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy a Dyson. And a housekeeper.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
When I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy a Dyson. And a housekeeper.

Lee

My advice is not to buy a Dyson. They have some very nice features...easy to push around with the swivel, good suction, easy to clean cannister and filters, nice warranty, but they are way overpriced. I think you can get something just as good, or almost as good, for less moolah. Just my 2 cents :)

Good luck on the lottery :whistling:

Embryodad

This was in a thread someplace, but I couldn't find it.
This is a Rant that the kids of mine cause to me.
I tell them,"Please DO NOT microwave in the food containers!" I just hate that when it burns the food into the plastic.
I grabbed this one shown, and wanted to give some cookies to the neighbor. Good thing I noticed. It looked so disgusting.

I keep telling them, please refrain from burning the containers.
Thank god it wan't our good tupperware.
It would embarrass me to give something in that filthy looking container.

Johnny West

I've been looking all over for sorghum and no one has it. I'll order some on line but the reviews I've seen have not been good. I guess it's too old fashioned. I'll use it in a bourbon pecan pie, hopefully.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What the hell has happened to salt pork????

I've noticed that over the last ten years at least, there is more and more meat in there instead of that wonderful white fat that is the REASON people buy salt pork!!!

Same with bacon.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Lee

Johnny West

I've not had salt pork and wouldn't know how to cook it.

I do prefer a meatier bacon and what I look for - and already on zocor. ;)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got another little project going, so I've been looking at some bathroom plumbing fixtures.

My rant - I bought a shower head just about a year ago for $52. Today it's $97, almost doubled in price :ohmy:. The shower arm was $45, and now it's $78. Some of the items did go down...by about a 1 or 2 dollars :rolleyes:. I can understand a little price increase from year to year, but that's ridiculous.

Embryodad

I've got another little project going, so I've been looking at some bathroom plumbing fixtures.

My rant - I bought a shower head just about a year ago for $52. Today it's $97, almost doubled in price :ohmy:. The shower arm was $45, and now it's $78. Some of the items did go down...by about a 1 or 2 dollars :rolleyes:. I can understand a little price increase from year to year, but that's ridiculous.

Gotta feed the middle man, woman, them, whatevers.
Today, they can see where the demand comes from. Computers track that now, and the factors like gouging profit takes hold.
Like, for Christmas, i.e. , DD bought Mom a dvd blue ray player, and Me, a dvd player for my tv in the kitchen. We were hurt, that she spent so much on our gifts.
We told her that, and she said " Mom and Dad, those things are a dime a dozen!"
"The store asked if I wanted the extended warranty, and the price for that, was cheaper than the cost of the new player!"

It is rare, that the plumber is called to do faucet repairs, and such as was the norm years ago. I did it while working in my dads plumbing business. Re-building faucets and toilet flush components was the norm. Today, it's a throw away society; even in the plumbing industry. The part of the plan, was the availability of plumbing parts, available to the home D.I.Y.'er, and the introduction of plastic components in the industry.

Example I learned yesterday, was a friends stove ( oven ) was not working. She spent 89.00 for the service call, and diagnostic. The part needed ( control board ) 665.00....
A new stove at Lowes....800.00 5 year warranty. She bought the new stove.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Gotta feed the middle man, woman, them, whatevers.
Today, they can see where the demand comes from. Computers track that now, and the factors like gouging profit takes hold.
Like, for Christmas, i.e. , DD bought Mom a dvd blue ray player, and Me, a dvd player for my tv in the kitchen. We were hurt, that she spent so much on our gifts.
We told her that, and she said " Mom and Dad, those things are a dime a dozen!"
"The store asked if I wanted the extended warranty, and the price for that, was cheaper than the cost of the new player!"

It is rare, that the plumber is called to do faucet repairs, and such as was the norm years ago. I did it while working in my dads plumbing business. Re-building faucets and toilet flush components was the norm. Today, it's a throw away society; even in the plumbing industry. The part of the plan, was the availability of plumbing parts, available to the home D.I.Y.'er, and the introduction of plastic components in the industry.

Example I learned yesterday, was a friends stove ( oven ) was not working. She spent 89.00 for the service call, and diagnostic. The part needed ( control board ) 665.00....
A new stove at Lowes....800.00 5 year warranty. She bought the new stove.

Yep, I feel like I'm being gouged :glare:, and it ain't a pretty feeling. If I didn't already have my heart set on that particular shower head and arm, I'd stick it right back at 'em and buy from another manufacturer.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lol - Amazon must also track when you click on an item and then go directly to a search for a similar item and when you take an item from you cart and save it for later. :mrgreen:The shower arm is now down from $78 to $62.:mrgreen: How low will she go?

I have been reading a lot of reviews and questions/answers for vanity sink fixtures on Amazon. I got some pretty good giggles from some of them, especially this one: I'm going to install this fixture myself. What kind of rough in valve do I need :dizzy:.

I'd love to see that little installation in progress.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another to add to my very long list of grammatical pet peeves:

Seen and heard so often in the media (TV and social), is the incorrect usage of "would have", e.g. "I wish I would have known" instead of "I wish I had known".

"If I would have gotten on that plane ...."

"Maybe if they would have read more ...."

etc.

Grrr!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Another to add to my very long list of grammatical pet peeves:

Seen and heard so often in the media (TV and social), is the incorrect usage of "would have", e.g. "I wish I would have known" instead of "I wish I had known".

"If I would have gotten on that plane ...."

"Maybe if they would have read more ...."

etc.

Grrr!

Lee

Or would of..
yes.. grrrrr lol

Embryodad

Or hows a bout... shoulda ....woulda....coulda...? ??

I know my grammar is not the elitist, but it is most of the time backwards. Growing up in Pennsylvania, we caught the PA Dutch, and Welsh mixed grammar.
i.e. ... A few drinks we went to have before we ate supper. Instead of saying....We went for a few drinks before dinner! hahahahahaha

or..... I wished I knew she was coming, so that I could save a seat for her, next to me, but my sister sat there; because she didn't like her.
...........Wow, so many words to say such a little.

Anyway, It's "Bed Time" for me to get ready for. ^&$#%# Darn!! Backwards again.!!!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Rant - My cable bill is ridiculous. I've been paying about $145 per month for internet and cable tv. I did some checking around and found a Sling Tv deal...pay for 3 months of Sling and get a Roku Premiere+ for half price.

Rave - I got the Roku all hooked up, and it works great. I'm going to use it through the weekend and hopefully cut the cable tv portion of my cable bill on Monday. By the time I add in the Sling tv monthly charge, I should come out ahead by about $70 per month.

Shoulda :) done that a long time ago.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Cooksie - a _lot_ of people are cutting the cable cord. you're right - every year cable goes up 10-15% - for 4 shopping channels, 18 basketball games, 6 football games, and as the TV dude says "xxx bucks for channels you don't watch"

Comcast in our area has now added a $7/mo fee for carrying local (high school?) games.

Comcast whined about cable theft, so they 'converted' to all digital signals meaning if you don't have their cable box (@ $16/mo) or a basic black box, you can't see anything. also trashed any use of (for example) MS Media Center as a digital recorder - you have to rent a DVR from Comcast @ $?/month.

when they went to digital, Comcast provided free basic converters. then they started with a $1.95/mo charge per each and now it's $3.95/mo if memory serves... and Comcast now blames the whole thing on 'the government'

couple months back I took in a second basic converter I was not using and told them point blank I'm looking at cutting their cord because the costs have tripled in the last ten years. (I'm anal, I have the bills, ain't no zaggeration....)

"Oh sir, you've been such a loyal customer we do have a special rate . . . "
and they promptly dropped the bill to ten years ago amounts. if you have Comcast, threaten to cancel and they'll lop buckets off your bill.

I use my cell phone 'hotspot' when traveling - frankly performance is almost no different that home cable. long term I suspect it might be noticeable.

regardless, I'm gonna drive this Comcast pkg for a while but an unlimited cell phone data plan is still on my radar.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie - a _lot_ of people are cutting the cable cord. you're right - every year cable goes up 10-15% - for 4 shopping channels, 18 basketball games, 6 football games, and as the TV dude says "xxx bucks for channels you don't watch"

Comcast in our area has now added a $7/mo fee for carrying local (high school?) games.

Comcast whined about cable theft, so they 'converted' to all digital signals meaning if you don't have their cable box (@ $16/mo) or a basic black box, you can't see anything. also trashed any use of (for example) MS Media Center as a digital recorder - you have to rent a DVR from Comcast @ $?/month.

when they went to digital, Comcast provided free basic converters. then they started with a $1.95/mo charge per each and now it's $3.95/mo if memory serves... and Comcast now blames the whole thing on 'the government'

couple months back I took in a second basic converter I was not using and told them point blank I'm looking at cutting their cord because the costs have tripled in the last ten years. (I'm anal, I have the bills, ain't no zaggeration....)

"Oh sir, you've been such a loyal customer we do have a special rate . . . "
and they promptly dropped the bill to ten years ago amounts. if you have Comcast, threaten to cancel and they'll lop buckets off your bill.

I use my cell phone 'hotspot' when traveling - frankly performance is almost no different that home cable. long term I suspect it might be noticeable.

regardless, I'm gonna drive this Comcast pkg for a while but an unlimited cell phone data plan is still on my radar.

Thank goodness I don't have Comcast. I've read lots of complaints about their service. I do remember when I called to have my landline cut they magically came up with some pkg that would save me some money. I didn't take it. My Ooma works just great for me.

The cost of their rental equipment is another rant. I've probably paid enough for renting a cable modem to buy 10 modems, and better modems on top of that.

I'll see what the cable co says. If they can match or come real close to what I can get it for with the Roku/Sling setup, I'll probably keep it and just move the Roku to the bedroom tv, which is non-smart.

The phone and cable companies are just shooting themselves in the foot since they're not being competitive. I have no sympathy for them at all.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cutting the cable cord for the tv has been great for me. I now have a roku on both tv's with sling and netflix. Yesterday I received an indoor antenna, paid about $30, and hooked it up to the tv in the family room. Now I get about 15 local stations on that tv too.

The cable co has really pissed me off. They charged me a disconnect fee and something else they called a conversion fee :rolleyes:.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
We cut the cable and lopped a hundred dollars off ouf bill.
We do t watch broadcasy TV (2 -13) ever. Only a couple programs on history and nat geo.

We miss - The caller ID on screen and an accurate clock under the TV, that's it.

When I turned the boxes in, there were seven people in line ahead of me doing the same thing.

If you are interested - FaceBookGroup - chord cutter tech support. Her is a spread sheet available that shows ask free and charge services and what they have.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We cut the cable and lopped a hundred dollars off ouf bill.
We do t watch broadcasy TV (2 -13) ever. Only a couple programs on history and nat geo.

We miss - The caller ID on screen and an accurate clock under the TV, that's it.

When I turned the boxes in, there were seven people in line ahead of me doing the same thing.

If you are interested - FaceBookGroup - chord cutter tech support. Her is a spread sheet available that shows ask free and charge services and what they have.

Thanks for that! Being new to all of this, that's just the kind of info that I need.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It’s 95F in here. Every damn 2 years we need to fight with Sears to fix their piece of crap air conditioner. We actually only get 1 full summer from the a/c. Every 2 years without fail on Memorial Day weekend it goes. We pay for service and it takes till July to get a new one because old one can’t be fixed! This is the 3rd replacement. One year the service guy sprayed some crap in the a/c to supposedly clean it. The result was a burned out electric socket. The house would have burned down if we weren’t here. Smoke then flames came out of socket. Hub wouldn’t sue them. This Hub finally gave in this year and let us buy another brand from Best Buy. Will be delivered and installed next Monday. Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 years.
I remember when Sears products were good. But Kenmore now sux!

I’m having problems. The poor kitties. I may take kitties and sleep in the car with air on tonight.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow Peeps, that's terrible.
So do you use window units and don't have central air?
I'd be pissed too.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That would be unbearable. Sorry to hear this Peeps. Good luck getting it resolved ASAP.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you Sass and Doc.

How many years do a/c units usually last on the average? We have to run it 24/7 once it gets hot.