Side View Mirrors

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Do you know how to use your side view mirrors on your vehicle?

Quick question, are they on the side of your car to let you see the cars behind you?

What do you think?

NO! That is not their purpose. You have a REAR view mirror on your windshield for that. The SIDE view mirror is supposed to be adjusted OUTwards by at east 50 degrees or more. It is designed to catch your blind spot.

To see if your side view mirror is properly adjusted, sit in your driveway and have a friend get behind you. You can see them in your rear view mirror. Now, have them move to your left towards the driver’s side until you can NOT see them, THAT is your blind spot. Have them move up a bit, and then adjust your left side mirror outwards until you can see them. Do the same for the right side mirror.

You can check this at a red light or going down the road. Watch your rear view mirror. Once you can see the guy in the left lane over-taking you in the rearview, you SHOULD pick them up in the left side view but NOT before. The side view is for the blind spot of your rearview. It is NOT there to let you see the guy directly behind you. Angle it OUT!

Just yesterday, I was overtaking a car that was doing all of 35 in a 50. Just as I get to their rear bumper, they change lanes and begin to crash into me!!! I lay on the horn, and they swerve back and slow down even more. I noticed as I came up on them, I could see my car in their HUGE side view mirror….and that is because they had it adjusted to a 10 degree angle to see BEHIND them. Lot of good that oversized monstrosity did them!

It is a SIDE view mirror. Adjust it out and stop running people over!!

Ok, rant off!

But maybe someone out there will read this and realize what the side view mirror is really for!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Deja Vu... I swear this was one here sometime before....

Anyway, learned this long long ago from my dad, re-enforced in Bus Driving School.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Good stuff Keltin. Actually, I use my side view mirrors for way more than that too.

Many vehicles now have mirrors adjustable from the driver's seat. I adjust them down when I am parking to see curbs and lined parking lots. BTW, my truck is a duallt, it's big.
Andy

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sorry to have to disagree with you Keltin but i am gonna..lmao:yum:

it all depends on the vehicle you are driving... some of the vehicles i drive are not equipped with windshield mirrors. they only have 2 main mirrors(couple of little rounds ones as well on the mains) so you have to adjust them to both see side and back..

4462933.jpg

Quick question, are they on the side of your car to let you see the cars behind you?

What do you think?

NO! That is not their purpose. You have a REAR view mirror on your windshield for that. The SIDE view mirror is supposed to be adjusted OUTwards by at east 50 degrees or more. It is designed to catch your blind spot.

To see if your side view mirror is properly adjusted, sit in your driveway and have a friend get behind you. You can see them in your rear view mirror. Now, have them move to your left towards the driver’s side until you can NOT see them, THAT is your blind spot. Have them move up a bit, and then adjust your left side mirror outwards until you can see them. Do the same for the right side mirror.

You can check this at a red light or going down the road. Watch your rear view mirror. Once you can see the guy in the left lane over-taking you in the rearview, you SHOULD pick them up in the left side view but NOT before. The side view is for the blind spot of your rearview. It is NOT there to let you see the guy directly behind you. Angle it OUT!

Just yesterday, I was overtaking a car that was doing all of 35 in a 50. Just as I get to their rear bumper, they change lanes and begin to crash into me!!! I lay on the horn, and they swerve back and slow down even more. I noticed as I came up on them, I could see my car in their HUGE side view mirror….and that is because they had it adjusted to a 10 degree angle to see BEHIND them. Lot of good that oversized monstrosity did them!

Ok, rant off!

But maybe someone out there will read this and realize what the side view mirror is really for!!

suziquzie

^^^ DH drives one of those.... (ok not a small crystal one)
relying on SIDE MIRRORS ONLY!

amazing huh? and some cant use 'em at all!
:)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i usually tell my friends when we are having "discussions" about their bad driving.. "I have driven more backwards that you have forward..".. most still dont get it..lol

Biskit

I hear ya Bams! After nearly 18 years behind the wheel of trucks of different kinds, I almost don't even remember the rear view mirror in the windshield. I always look in the side mirrors I can't stand craning my neck around to look out the back window when backing up, I always do it by mirror, too!
Old habits, eh?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
For my business I drive a 3/4 Ton Chevy Express van that only has side mirrors (no windows in the cargo compartment). My right mirror has an additional parabolic mirror in the lower right corner to pick up things that cannot be seen with the conventional mirror. That little mirror has saved my ass more times than I can count, especially when merging into the slower lanes and someone decides to overtake me on the right. The worst one is the moron who gets into your blind spot and just stays there. If it weren't for that mirror, I would never know they are there. I won't get into the subject of stupid drivers. That's a thread for another forum.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yah some people just dont understand, if you cant seem my face in the mirror, then i cant see you.....

For my business I drive a 3/4 Ton Chevy Express van that only has side mirrors (no windows in the cargo compartment). My right mirror has an additional parabolic mirror in the lower right corner to pick up things that cannot be seen with the conventional mirror. That little mirror has saved my ass more times than I can count, especially when merging into the slower lanes and someone decides to overtake me on the right. The worst one is the moron who gets into your blind spot and just stays there. If it weren't for that mirror, I would never know they are there. I won't get into the subject of stupid drivers. That's a thread for another forum.

Derek

Banned

What do you think?

Ok, rant off!

My mom taught me to use my side mirrors, You can use them for backing out of driveways "Never under any circumstance let me back out of your drive way" unless you want a fender bender LOL.

Anyways you use them to back up and keep checking to see if your straight.

By the way I will be getting one for my Bicycle, Yeah you may laugh now but if you seen our drivers here in Mi, You would understand.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i was also thinking... it use to be that when you took your drivers test (at least here in canada) in a pickup truck, if you look out your rear view mirror and not your side mirrors, you will fail(or at least get points knocked off)

it has been manyyyyyyyyyyy years since i took my drivers test, so things could have changed since then.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
sorry to have to disagree with you Keltin but i am gonna..lmao:yum:

it all depends on the vehicle you are driving... some of the vehicles i drive are not equipped with windshield mirrors. they only have 2 main mirrors(couple of little rounds ones as well on the mains) so you have to adjust them to both see side and back..

4462933.jpg

Maybe I should have stipulated passenger cars! But I've driven Vans and U-Hauls with no windshield rearview Mirror. BUT, those rigs had 2-3 different mirrors on the side. You adjust one section back for rear, one out for side, and usually a round one for total view. So, it’s really the same principle, even on the big rigs, you should adjust for side view.

The point is, a LOT of people aren’t adjusting their mirrors properly for total coverage…..and they will run you over!! ARGH!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I know what you means Suzi. DH drives one also. 37 years safe driving. I've seen him back a trailer into a hole between to trailers with a 2 foot clearance on each side and perfectly center it the first try. Me...I can't even back the boat trailer up in the right direction...seems like no matter what way I turn the wheel, it always goes in the same direction. :huh:

chowhound

I'm a "it all depends what you're driving" person. Back when I was hot rodding, definitely in the blind spots. That way very little head movement is required to see all you need to see when weaving in and out of traffic. Trucks with a cap, pretty much the same because you can't see out the side, but not so far than you can't see the back/side of your truck with a little leaning in the seat or you're screwed trying to back up. Especially backing up a trailer. My Pacifica had a lot of blind spots looking out the side windows, so the side mirrors were adjusted towards the blind spots. My Wrangler 4-door has plenty of side window viewing area to see when changing lanes, so the mirrors are adjusted more inward so I can back up my trailer using my mirrors.
And of course my bike's mirrors are adjusted so's I can see myself when riding.....
:yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm a "it all depends what you're driving" person. Back when I was hot rodding, definitely in the blind spots. That way very little head movement is required to see all you need to see when weaving in and out of traffic. Trucks with a cap, pretty much the same because you can't see out the side, but not so far than you can't see the back/side of your truck with a little leaning in the seat or you're screwed trying to back up. Especially backing up a trailer. My Pacifica had a lot of blind spots looking out the side windows, so the side mirrors were adjusted towards the blind spots. My Wrangler 4-door has plenty of side window viewing area to see when changing lanes, so the mirrors are adjusted more inward so I can back up my trailer using my mirrors.
And of course my bike's mirrors are adjusted so's I can see myself when riding.....
:yum:

Is that so you can pick the bugs out of your teeth? :lol:

waybomb

Ok, rant off!

Yes, most people are quite ignorant on how to use the mirrors. How many times I've been in the right seat and the river starts changing lanes into a car on the right side. Then I give them the lesson.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I know what you means Suzi. DH drives one also. 37 years safe driving. I've seen him back a trailer into a hole between to trailers with a 2 foot clearance on each side and perfectly center it the first try. Me...I can't even back the boat trailer up in the right direction...seems like no matter what way I turn the wheel, it always goes in the same direction. :huh:

wanna learn a trick about backing the boat trailer up... look into your rear view mirror, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, look into mirror again and keep looking, where you want the trailer to go move your hand on the wheel that way...it works..lol

oh and Keltin, nothing personal i was just trying to give you a hard time..lol

i like to disagree with you, it always cause more conversations on the board..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
oh and Keltin, nothing personal i was just trying to give you a hard time..lol

i like to disagree with you, it always cause more conversations on the board..lol

Oh yeah....reallly.....ok then......disagree with THIS!!!!! :yum:

2laevra.jpg