Tiny Baby Miss Abbott - Safranek

Johnny West

Today my son and his partner had a baby girl - 2# 12.5 ounce. Until last night she didn't realize she was pregnant (?) she's on monitors, 02, and NG tube, as you'd expect. She's in hospital by BYU so I know she's in good hands and I'm not Mormon. If you pray, I'd sure love the prayers and thoughts for her. Thank you.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sending strength and positive energies to the wee lass.

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Today my son and his partner had a baby girl - 2# 12.5 ounce. Until last night she didn't realize she was pregnant (?) she's on monitors, 02, and NG tube, as you'd expect. She's in hospital by BYU so I know she's in good hands and I'm not Mormon. If you pray, I'd sure love the prayers and thoughts for her. Thank you.

Our thoughts are with her.

Any news this morning?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
John and I spoke well into late last night.
Last I heard she and Mom are holding their own. :thumb:

Johnny West

I've not had a report this morning. Last night, late, Nancy text to say that Heather was doing fine except for lots of needle sticks.

They named her Madeleine. Nancy said she was doing ok but still working to breath but was just on a nasal CPAP.

Johnny West

Baby mom text last night that Madeleine is doing well and was certainly glad to hear that. So much can go wrong with premies. My wife is coming down with a cold, she said, so imagine she's keeping her distance. Heather had high sodium levels so they put her in ICU. Matt has a catering job to prep so yesterday he wasn't around much so it was the two grandmas with Maddy.

Nancy's mother made an oak cradle for Matt when he was born. My job now is to find out how to get it to UT. It won't fit in the Fusion and the Land Rover is a gas hogg. I may ship it or may rent a pick up. I dunno.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the update.

Have you considered a trailer? U Haul might have a temporary hitch you could rent with a small trailer.

Jim

Johnny West

The cradle fits in the back of the Land Rover and will be taking it.

Last night Nancy sent me a video of Matt giving her a bath and Maddie was crying - she has a voice!

Nancy post this yesterday... For those of you who don’t otherwise know, we have another granddaughter, Madeleine Savannah Safranek. She was born unexpectedly on April 1st. Unexpected because her mother had been being treated for irritable bowl for over six months and found out she was pregnant 24 hours prior to an emergency c-section for eclampsia. Maddie weighs in at 2#9oz and is doing well on a little oxygen but has a ways to go. Matt and mommy Heather get to see her through the isolette for now. Heather is out of the ICU now and doing well. Matt of course bring treats to the staff. More later.

Attachments

• ###Matt and Family.jpg
    ###Matt and Family.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 197

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, John, what a wonderful update and a spectacular photo!

Thank you for sharing with us!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We just went through this with Sydney, Johnny ...

She came over six weeks early, and she's done very well .

I'm sure it will all work out well for this little angel as well, and we have her in our prayers.

Johnny West

Grandma Nancy got home yesterday morning. We are planning two flying trips before we drive the cradle to UT. Madeleine will be in hospital till June but may get out earlier. She's gaining weight and 02 has been good. Mom is still hospitalized for hypertension and recovery of c-section. Usually they let c-section moms go home the next day. In Park city it's not unusual to send baby's home with 02 because of the altitude. Matt is on line studying up on how to be a new dad. Everything is on line...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to think c-section was the easy way out for having a baby. That is till daughter number 2 had one, and then a 2nd one. The muscle they cut through takes a long time to heal and it does impact them for years to come. Best wishes for mom and baby. June will be here before you know it.

Johnny West

Thank you all for the nice comments. Here is a picture from yesterday and they are letting matt touch her with no gloves on. Nancy said he does an excellent job of hand washing but then he does it for his profession as chef. Peter, our #3 son was there to visit and is coming home today. #1 son is going next week.

Attachments

• ###Hands.jpg
    ###Hands.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 192

Johnny West

Yesterday they tried Maddie off 02 and she did great.

Attachments

• ###Maddie III.jpg
    ###Maddie III.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 185
  • ###Maddie IV.jpg
    ###Maddie IV.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 185

Johnny West

I made a mistake. The picture of the baby swaddled is from a friend of my son's that was sent to me but no indications she is Galen's baby. She is a sweetie.

Here is a picture I got last night of mom, Heather, holding Maddie and she is smiling. I can't wait to see her next week.

Attachments

• ###Maddie Smiling.jpg
    ###Maddie Smiling.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 174

Johnny West

Last night Matt text to say they moved Maddie to a less intense area of the NICU since she is doing so well. I can't wait to go visit her.

Johnny West

Yup, she just needs to develop and get that time that normally would have been in the womb. The nurses said today that she's been working to get her eyes open.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
:wow::heart:
He looks gigantic next to her.
Then again, he's like 8 ft tall like you lol

Sweet picture.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, how cool! And cute!

Is Maddie Matt's first child?

Lee

Johnny West

Yes, first for both of them. They are both 39 and talked about adopting an older child.

Maddie is back on 02 and they were told it would probably happen and is common. The altitude takes some getting used to in Utah.